Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Need wiring help  (Read 3134 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
Need wiring help
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »

Can someone send me a wiring diagram on where you hook up the o2 sensors to an 2006 seuc.  I don't have any diagrams for 2007 and up.  heard that there are a couple plugs coming off the ecm that aren't used that you plug into but i didn't see them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Need wiring help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »

Think what you're looking for is in Appendix A of this document.  Open the doc, go the table of contents, click on Appendix A.  Shows what's necessary to add o2 sensors to 04-06.

http://www.mastertune.net/files/Tuning%20Files/Delphi/Manuals/MasterTune_Tuning_Guide-125.pdf

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »

Just read your post again.  On bikes didn't have sensors to begin (pre-07) those connectors  you're looking for aren't there.  From the Mastertune manual the directions are there as to where in the ECM connector to add the simple connections you'll need.  Specific pin locations are shown along with a parts list to make up the connectors yourself.  The 05-06 ECMs, with the right software and maps, can apparently read o2 sensors.  But just adding them won't get you home.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »

Thats what i wasn't sure about.  So you just splice into the factory ecm cable with your O2 sensor wires?  I have the tts.  I am assuming that when you hook it up and reprogram the ecm it will pick up the o2 sensors.  Unless i am wrong.  Everyone just told me you wire up the o2 sensors and your done nothing else.  Just wanted to make sure before i tore up anything i am not suppose to.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:07:24 PM »

Thats what i wasn't sure about.  So you just splice into the factory ecm cable with your O2 sensor wires?  I have the tts.  I am assuming that when you hook it up and reprogram the ecm it will pick up the o2 sensors.  Unless i am wrong.  Everyone just told me you wire up the o2 sensors and your done nothing else.  Just wanted to make sure before i tore up anything i am not suppose to.

You'll just add them; not splice them in.  If you're adding the Mastertune you're on the way home as it is their manual that is cited above; including the instructions on which map to load to gain the function.

What they describe isn't a splice though.  They describe opening up the ECM plug.  That's the big plug that attaches to your ECM.  They further define which pin connections in that plug (that currently aren't used) need to be used as the spots to add the o2 sensors too.  You'll be adding wires to the ECM plug -- plugging the little pins in to the big connector. 

What you're doing is making two little harnesses.  One to go to each sensor.  And you're adding those to the bike when it didn't have them to begin with.

Don't let the idea of opening up the ECM plug be a big worry.  It's a surprisingly simple chore.  Biggest hassle may be coming up with a crimping tool for the closed or open barrel crimps you'll need to make on the pins (wire ends) you'll need to buy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »

Just actually took a look at their diagram again and I was potentially confusing on something.  You could make two separate pigtails (one for each o2 sensor) or one combines harness that went to each sensor.

You're sharing the ground wire in either case.  Since the runs to each sensor are different lengths I'd come off a shared ground pigtail with what from there was independent runs to each sensor.  But you'd accomplish the same thing either way.  Here's a screen shot of their diagram.  You're only working with three locations on the ECM plug. 

Pin #8 in the ECM plug (they're marked with these numbers in the plug's housing -- but wear you're glasses because they're small!!) is the data/power wire for for the front sensor.  Pin #23 is the same for the rear.  Both sensors share pin #26 for their ground wire.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »

And to further violate the publishers copyright (yeah, it's been thoroughly cited) here is the other part of that appendix; the parts list.  Shows the various sensor options along with all the proper pins and plugs you'll need to make both the connectors that attach to the sensors and the pins to plug in to the big ECM plug.

Another citation besides the publisher should go to Good Howie.  If he'd not sent these manuals in PDF to review awhile back I'd not have seen them.  Thanks Howie.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the help.  all i have to do now is find the pins and open up the ecm plug without breaking it.  Going down to auto zone to see if there have any pins there.  Thats where i got the o2 sensors and plugs.  They went in perfect and had no close clearances anywhere.  So that part worked out well. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the help.  all i have to do now is find the pins and open up the ecm plug without breaking it.  Going down to auto zone to see if there have any pins there.  Thats where i got the o2 sensors and plugs.  They went in perfect and had no close clearances anywhere.  So that part worked out well.  

What did you use to cross reference the HD part numbers for the sensors to something AutoZone had (Bosch or whatever)?  They're are lots of sensors that would screw in the same hole that aren't the same.

Don't remember who it was now but a year or so ago someone asked for helping finding just that cross reference.  Screwed around for a couple hours a couple different evenings and never found anything that was absolutely proved to be accurate.  Especially when you figure the HD parts numbers were surprisingly inexpensive (Zanotti's showed them for less than $30) I'm not sure how sanguine I'd be risking a sensor that operated in a different range.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »

Its a bosch sensor 12028.  Read on other forums that they are the same type, and bosch makes the ones for harley.  Personally i don't really like buying anything from the stealership.  Never have in all my years of riding unless they are the only ones that you can get it from.  So much easier and cheaper if something happens to be able to get your parts at any parts house.  I will have to go to the harley shop tomorrow to get the ecm pins so i know they will work.  I will let you know what happens if they do or do not work. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »

What part number and from where did you find the other connector parts?  They're cheap from mother Harley also but it's always good to have options.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 11:31:13 PM »

Ok, this made me chuckle.  I know, I know, a part has to match up to its task.  Nothing more and nothing less.  So that there are parts newer, in ways perhaps better or who knows in what was different doesn't necessarily tell us anything.  If that Bosch 12028 sensor is a correct cross reference (short lead) for the system Harley adopted in 2007 I was curious what its automotive cross references might be. 

Seems it hadn't been a popular choice for OEMs for awhile.  Was used by GM starting in 1979 and had faded out of favor by the mid 1980s.  Oh yeah, Daewoo also used it in the early 1990s.  That's enough to give a guy warm fuzzies.  Good to know Mother Harley adopted such new tech in 2007.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »

Ok, this made me chuckle.  I know, I know, a part has to match up to its task.  Nothing more and nothing less.  So that there are parts newer, in ways perhaps better or who knows in what was different doesn't necessarily tell us anything.  If that Bosch 12028 sensor is a correct cross reference (short lead) for the system Harley adopted in 2007 I was curious what its automotive cross references might be. 

Seems it hadn't been a popular choice for OEMs for awhile.  Was used by GM starting in 1979 and had faded out of favor by the mid 1980s.  Oh yeah, Daewoo also used it in the early 1990s.  That's enough to give a guy warm fuzzies.  Good to know Mother Harley adopted such new tech in 2007.

Don, I recall in a thread quite some time ago that those Bosch sensors were oem on a Volkswagen model.  Maybe Gary can find the thread.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »

I was reading up on some other sites about o2 sensors and whatnot.  They were saying about the differences between the unheated and the heated type also and they way they pick up signals.  Pretty much sounds like the ones that come in our harleys are the older style because the computer isnt able to process and change all the variables the way the new o2 sensors run.  This could all be wrong but who knows.  I believe you are right ultra in some other forums they were talking about they were used in alot of the vw cars. 

I went to the chevy dealership today to try and get the female end for my sensor but they were having troubles trying to find it.  I could always hard wire it direct but if one ever went out wanted to be able to just plug and play on the go.  They said most o2 sensors now are all 3 or 4 plug sensors.  Guess they are made to collect way more data and send it to the computer.  I still wish i could just go out there and adjust the carb and the timing by hard works so much easier, but this is what i got now days. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »

Don, I recall in a thread quite some time ago that those Bosch sensors were oem on a Volkswagen model.  Maybe Gary can find the thread.

Jerry

Jerry, you may be remembering a conversation that came up on the sensors that work with the Thundermax.  They're a Bosch 17014.  That one had a lot of VW cross reference.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.