Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: AZ SERK -- Track the Man on an Epic Transcontinental Trip  (Read 11269 times)

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
Re: AZ SERK -- Track the Man on an Epic Transcontinental Trip
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »

Louie, Thank you!

Mi amigo Jorge, Thank you!  And, please tell Martha, "Thank you," on my behalf.

Iski, Thank you!
I know the House of Harley will receive your bike in Anchorage.  You may want to contact them and ask who they recommend for shipping.

I should be in Homer this evening.  Although, I will be driving a pickup.  H-D wants $2,200 for a nine day rental!   :o

Later,
Charlie

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »

Louie, Thank you!

Mi amigo Jorge, Thank you!  And, please tell Martha, "Thank you," on my behalf.

Iski, Thank you!
I know the House of Harley will receive your bike in Anchorage.  You may want to contact them and ask who they recommend for shipping.

I should be in Homer this evening.  Although, I will be driving a pickup.  H-D wants $2,200 for a nine day rental!   :o

Later,
Charlie

Charlie, after the travelers have gone that far over the roads they'd lately been traveling a man with a pickup might just be a local savior.  Have fun finishing things off!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »

Thanks for the help, Charlie!   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Heard 2 guys crossed the finish line together this morning.  Have fun in Homer & take some bald eagle pics if you get a chance.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »

Charlie,

Wow! 6245 miles! That is a feat all in itself!  Glad you traveled each one of those MANY miles safely!  I salute you my friend.  
Many  :) :) :) :) :) :) from Oklahoma.           Dyna105

"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »

Great report!  That is an adventure of a lifetime!  Very troubling to read of the last minute plan changes though.  Causes one to wonder how the organizers will determine who won & by what method.  Have been riding in NM with a hail threatening huge storm with downbursts & it is not anything I ever wish to repeat.  The passports missing seem more than odd to me.

Several of us have been discussing a ride from AK all the way back to Florida next summer & are considering shipping our bikes to Anchorage.  If anyone has any info or has done this, am very interested.  So far the shipping rates I have been quoted are approaching $2k or so & if that is the case it will cause us to consider other alternatives.

BTW - my friend Greg remains in the top ten riders according to what he has been told at checkpoints & is somewhere in Canada now, doing his best to remain on the route as mapped. 

Let's go round trip...count with me  :drink:

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »

Not that it matters now, but US citizens don't need a passport to enter Canada. Go to http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html#s1  and scroll down to the "Non Canadians" paragraph.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »

yes but.....

from US state dept
ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS:   Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law.  Please see the CBSA’s website for details.  Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport.  Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.  (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States).

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air.  For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document.  The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

best to have the passport and not need it then need it and not have it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »

Yes a Passport does speed things up & in my case my "get out of jail free" card is essential when going to the US!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »

Let's go round trip...count with me  :drink:

Mi amigo, the return trip is 23 days - approx. 7,000 miles, with 5 days in AK to sight see & 18 for our ride home. Figured I would need 6 weeks to make the round trip & I am 500 miles closer than you.

:drink:

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »

From the Homer Alaska news 18 hours ago:

Frank Kelly of Prosperity, S.C., and Will Barclay of Highland, Fla., reached the Homer Spit at 4:20 this morning to claim victory in the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge after riding about 8,500 miles from Florida in a little over eight days. The pair had agreed after the last checkpoint in Fairbanks that for safety reasons they'd ride together, finish simultaneously and split the $500,000 pot. Whether they can officially do that remains to be determined by the race organizers, reports the Homer News.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/06/28/1344785/2-hoka-hey-riders-hit-homer-finish.html#ixzz0sFqMRFWb

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

From the Homer Alaska news 18 hours ago:

Frank Kelly of Prosperity, S.C., and Will Barclay of Highland, Fla., reached the Homer Spit at 4:20 this morning to claim victory in the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge after riding about 8,500 miles from Florida in a little over eight days. The pair had agreed after the last checkpoint in Fairbanks that for safety reasons they'd ride together, finish simultaneously and split the $500,000 pot. Whether they can officially do that remains to be determined by the race organizers, reports the Homer News.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/06/28/1344785/2-hoka-hey-riders-hit-homer-finish.html#ixzz0sFqMRFWb

I am somewhat concerned that only now the drama will start to unfold. Can't wait to get the next news.

Cheers,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »

Does anybody know the route from Fairbanks to Anchorage?
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »

I arrived safely in Homer last night, via four wheels.  The bay and the snow-capped mountains are sights to be seen!

There are some photos posted at the Photobucket link. (See page 1)

I received some bad news last night regarding my buddy, the Cordova police officer. He went down Sunday and he is currently in a Cranbrook, BC hospital. I spoke with him earlier and he is in good spirits. His injuries include four broken ribs; broken left clavicle; broken right leg with surgically repaired kneecap and tendon. He said the cause was fatigue. He dozed off.
  I am thankful he will be okay!

Regarding the Prize, yes, I fear the drama is just beginning. None of the organizers are yet in town, as of this afternoon.   :nixweiss:

More to follow,
Charlie
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2010, 07:18:33 AM »

Charlie, glad you made it there safely.

My friend Greg was reported to be #12 at the Fairbanks check point.  He is tired & dirty & very sore but was on his way in as of last night around 7 or so from Fairbanks - details are sketchy since he lost his cell phone.

You are not the only person to "lose" a passport" BTW.  Seems odd.

Appreciate any first hand updates you can give.  Several folks from Homer have been posting on the FB site & they have provided some useful info.  

The kindest things to say about this ride (from what I have heard) is that the organization sucked, the maps sucked, & to top it off, they changed the rules right before the event.  Will be lotsa drama.

Link to new story:

http://homernews.com/stories/062910/Hoka_Hey_tmh.shtml

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »

I arrived safely in Homer last night, via four wheels.  The bay and the snow-capped mountains are sights to be seen!

There are some photos posted at the Photobucket link. (See page 1)

I received some bad news last night regarding my buddy, the Cordova police officer. He went down Sunday and he is currently in a Cranbrook, BC hospital. I spoke with him earlier and he is in good spirits. His injuries include four broken ribs; broken left clavicle; broken right leg with surgically repaired kneecap and tendon. He said the cause was fatigue. He dozed off.
  I am thankful he will be okay!

Regarding the Prize, yes, I fear the drama is just beginning. None of the organizers are yet in town, as of this afternoon.   :nixweiss:

More to follow,
Charlie

What a ride...Thanks for posting on it and thanks Twolane for creating it...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 22 queries.