Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handlebar Removal  (Read 1813 times)

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
Handlebar Removal
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »

Help, I want to change out my bars myself but don't have a manual and can't find how the lower inner fairing and switch comes off. I think I can get to the bolts that hold down the bars if I can figure out how the switch is removed. Anybody have the manual and other suggestions on how to remove bars. Don't want to force anything off so I stopped until I find out the steps for sure.  :confused5:

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
Re: Handlebar Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »

There's a video somewhere on youtube that shows how to get the switch out. If I remember from the locked position there is a tab under the right side of the switch, push that and then lift the switch out.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »

Put the key in the ignition and turn to the unlocked position.  Leave the key in place and turn the switch knob to the Accessory position.  Look under the left rear corner of the knob and you'll see a small button, press this button with a small screwdriver or similar object and hold it in while pressing in on the key and turning it roughly 60° counter clockwise.  Lift the knob off the switch stem.  Then remove the switch nut (7/8" wrench), collar, and spacer.  Then carefully remove the black plate that has the switch positions written on it, it just snaps in place.

The fairing cap is secured to the inner fairing with a T27 Torx head screw on each end.  Remove the screws and washers, then turn the bars completely to the left and pull the fairing cap rearward until you can grasp the wiring connector on the right side.  Press the release button on the connector and separate, then remove the fairing cap from the bike.

It's a good idea when doing this stuff to protect the tank with something to prevent dents and scratches.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »

Thanks grc, got it off. This is a great site, ask a question and you shall receive. Thanks a lot.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.