Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2000 SE Road Glide Radio and Speedometer Issue  (Read 10626 times)

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: 2000 SE Road Glide Radio and Speedometer Issue
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 12:31:50 AM »

Hello everyone, I am experiencing a problem with my bike that I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on.  A few days ago I went for a ride and had my Ipod connected to my HD Cd player thru a plug in cable into the aux port infront of radio.  After a while of everything being fine, I noticed that the volume was fluctuating.  Then I noticed that the speedometer started to fluctuate. It went to zero and stayed there.  After I got home, I thought to look thru the forum and others seemed to have problems with the speedometer and it usually ended up being speed sensor.  I went for another ride yesterday and all was fine until about 1/2 hour into ride when same thing happened again.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Do others think speed sensor is bad or going bad?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Speed sensor controls both - controls the AVC (automatic volume control) and speedo.  When the speedo went to zero your volume probably dropped.  Volume gets louder with higher speed signal.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »

I just experienced the same problem yesterday, but I don't have a service manual and I'm not sure where the speed sensor is or how to check it for filings etc.  If someone could walk me through this info I would appreciate it very much.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »

I just experienced the same problem yesterday, but I don't have a service manual and I'm not sure where the speed sensor is or how to check it for filings etc.  If someone could walk me through this info I would appreciate it very much.

Marty

Marty, from the right side of the bike look down at the transmission.  You'll find two places with electrical connections.  On the top cover is the neutral switch.  The wires plug in to a round-ish part that itself screws in to the top cover.  Lower and a bit farther bike is a part that the harness does not unplug from.  The part goes through the case itself.  You'll see one bolt or screw that goes through it to hold it to the tranny.  Remove that fastener and the sensor will wiggle out.

It's got an o-ring seal.  No reason you can't use it again.  Just wipe any gook off the sensor, stick it back in and go for a ride to see if you've made any difference.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »

Here you go.  Found an illustration.  This is when the tranny was gutted for the six speed install but you can still see the sensor location.  Inside the fancy new red circles.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 06:13:22 PM »

Marty, from the right side of the bike look down at the transmission.  You'll find two places with electrical connections.  On the top cover is the neutral switch.  The wires plug in to a round-ish part that itself screws in to the top cover.  Lower and a bit farther bike is a part that the harness does not unplug from.  The part goes through the case itself.  You'll see one bolt or screw that goes through it to hold it to the tranny.  Remove that fastener and the sensor will wiggle out.

It's got an o-ring seal.  No reason you can't use it again.  Just wipe any gook off the sensor, stick it back in and go for a ride to see if you've made any difference.
Thanks again Don I will give that a go in the morning and let you know how I made out  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »

Thanks again Don I will give that a go in the morning and let you know how I made out  :2vrolijk_21:

No sweat Marty.  You don't have to unplug any wires so you don't need to mess with a battery cable (if you'd wondered).  And no parts to buy to try!  Gotta love five minute and free potential fixes :2vrolijk_21: .

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »

No sweat Marty.  You don't have to unplug any wires so you don't need to mess with a battery cable (if you'd wondered).  And no parts to buy to try!  Gotta love five minute and free potential fixes :2vrolijk_21: .
It took me longer to remove the chrome covers than it did to remove and clean the sensor  :-\ and now it started raining again so my test ride will have to wait till tomorrow  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »

It took me longer to remove the chrome covers than it did to remove and clean the sensor  :-\ and now it started raining again so my test ride will have to wait till tomorrow  :nixweiss:

Was it covered with any crap, goop, chit, mess, crud, debris, detritus, shavings or other ill uckiness (like Dood's Depends)?

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »

Was it covered with any crap, goop, chit, mess, crud, debris, detritus, shavings or other ill uckiness (like Dood's Depends)?
All of the above  :huepfenlol2:  including Dood's Diedies  :toilet:  I was so disgusted I forgot to take any pictures before I cleaned it up  :nixweiss:  but yeah the entire magnet was covered in oily shavings. :nervous:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »

All of the above  :huepfenlol2:  including Dood's Diedies  :toilet:  I was so disgusted I forgot to take any pictures before I cleaned it up  :nixweiss:  but yeah the entire magnet was covered in oily shavings. :nervous:

Hey, that's a good thing (not the Dood thing, but the rest of it)!  The more yuck you wipe off the better the chance you fixed it :2vrolijk_21: .

Wiping the yuck off the sensor is part of my spring service routine each year.  Yack the yuck.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »

Hey, that's a good thing (not the Dood thing, but the rest of it)!  The more yuck you wipe off the better the chance you fixed it :2vrolijk_21: .

Wiping the yuck off the sensor is part of my spring service routine each year.  Yack the yuck.
Not such a good thing Don  :( The rain finally quit this afternoon and I took it out for a test ride and about 5 mile in it started doing the same thing  :nixweiss:  Do you think that means that I need to replace the VSS or could it be something else that is causing this problem  :confused5:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »

Not such a good thing Don  :( The rain finally quit this afternoon and I took it out for a test ride and about 5 mile in it started doing the same thing  :nixweiss:  Do you think that means that I need to replace the VSS or could it be something else that is causing this problem  :confused5:

As likely as anything Marty.  Probably more likely.  They do occasionally fail.  It's an easy change though.  Do what you just did to get it out of the tranny.  Then trace its harness back under the right side cover.  Easy part to change.  

Part number 74429-97C.  Same part used for many years.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:50:03 PM by Twolanerider »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 01:21:40 AM »

A couple of suggestions based on my own experience with the SAME issues.

Before you install a new VSS, see if there is one available from a shop or other source. Some guys on other forums have extras from having had to deal with the same issue. Try to hold off buying one new because as with most electrical items there is NO return. If you can get a hold of one, then just unplug the tranny end and the connector under the seat, install the borrowed one and take it for a long ride. If the problem goes away, then you can confirm it as a bad VSS. If the problem persists then you have not spent time and money doing an install (although it's not that difficult).

As I mentioned before, if the problem persists, it may be a broken wire INSIDE the insulation. This is much more common than folks realize. On my bike and on some others, it was one of the VSS wires that runs from the connector under the seat up to the speedo head. Since the break is inside the insulation, it is not visible and requires tracing. Most of the breaks have occured in the large loom that runs along the side of the frame between the front of the gas tank and the steering stem. For some reason that area is susceptible to bends and vibration which leads to the wires breaking.

Another quick way to test it is to ride it under safe conditions, and then with a free hand reach over and shake the harness as the bike is moving. That's usually all it takes to interrupt the signal. Or you can elevate the rear tire and let it run on a stand while shaking the harness.

Good luck and keep us posted.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »

The part cost under $60. I tried the clean off fix and it did not work. New part=success. I missed the cruise control more than the speedo and radio. When I changed the tranny fluid to Harley synthetic the magnetic drain plug had some shavings and syn oil will prevent this is the future. Very easy fix.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »

The part cost under $60. I tried the clean off fix and it did not work. New part=success. I missed the cruise control more than the speedo and radio. When I changed the tranny fluid to Harley synthetic the magnetic drain plug had some shavings and syn oil will prevent this is the future. Very easy fix.
Have had the origional VSS out a couple of times and cleaned it but it is still acting up so tomorrow I am going to pick up a new one.  My only problem is I don't know where the other end of the wire plugs in.  I have tried to follow it (under the starter) but can't seem to figure out where it runs and connects up  :nixweiss:  being not much of a wrench, I could use a little help here fellas.(Please and Thankyou)

Marty
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:14:45 PM by martys »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.