Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2000 SE Road Glide Radio and Speedometer Issue  (Read 10521 times)

TR6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
2000 SE Road Glide Radio and Speedometer Issue
« on: June 21, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »

Hello everyone, I am experiencing a problem with my bike that I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on.  A few days ago I went for a ride and had my Ipod connected to my HD Cd player thru a plug in cable into the aux port infront of radio.  After a while of everything being fine, I noticed that the volume was fluctuating.  Then I noticed that the speedometer started to fluctuate. It went to zero and stayed there.  After I got home, I thought to look thru the forum and others seemed to have problems with the speedometer and it usually ended up being speed sensor.  I went for another ride yesterday and all was fine until about 1/2 hour into ride when same thing happened again.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Do others think speed sensor is bad or going bad?  Any help would be much appreciated.

copbike 02

Re: 2000 SE Road Glide Radio and Speedometer Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »

check the out put of your charging system it maybe weak.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »

check your stator, sounds like what happened to mine in hot weather two weeks ago
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

TR6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »

If my charging system or my stator were bad wouldn't other things also not be working properly? I can see the logic behind what you are saying and all the other posts I have read all pointed to speed sensor but the added volume decrease on the radio leads me to belive that it just may be the stator. Thanks so much for the idea. I will have it checked out.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »

Logic?  we buy 1980's tech bikes with air cooled engines, at twice to three times the price of some Metric bikes... and you want logic??

I have no idea, my stator died, I could not listen to the radio, and the battery gauge showed 8 volts..
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »

If my charging system or my stator were bad wouldn't other things also not be working properly? I can see the logic behind what you are saying and all the other posts I have read all pointed to speed sensor but the added volume decrease on the radio leads me to belive that it just may be the stator. Thanks so much for the idea. I will have it checked out.
The radio volume fluctuates with the speed of the bike so if the speed sensor is affecting the speedo to reduce, I think the speedo would affect the radio volume.   :nixweiss:  just a thought.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »

My 2001 Ultra the speed sensor wire wore through under the starter. This cause the wire to ground to the starter bolt. This caused the speed to fluctuate and sometimes read zero.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:41:00 AM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »

Sometimes the speedo sensors will get gooped over a bit.  When they're intermittent it's worthwhile to pull it and just wipe it off.  Only takes a couple minutes.  Doesn't cost anything.  So it's worth a try.

TR6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »

Well I did take the speed sensor off and it was covered with metal shavings. I cleaned it off and reinstalled it. Took the bike for a ride and everything seemed to be fine right up till I took the turn on to my street. It happened again. So I took sensor off again to look at it and there was still some more metal on the sensor. Cleaned it again and went for another ride and this time everything was ok all the way. I had the bike out for about 25 mile ride in the hot weather..got back home and inspected the sensor again. Well this time it was clean. So I think I may have gotten to the bottom of the problem. I hope so. If it happens again I will get new sensor and install it keeping my fingers crossed. Thank all for your help.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »

It may be wires broken INSIDE the insulation. This is a very common problem as it has happened to me and others.

From my experience the two symptoms are related in that the radio has Automatic Volume Control which is goverened by speedometer readings. With the speedo readings fluctuating, the radio will respond in kind and raise or lower volume depending on the speedometer reading as opposed to actual speed. Most of the breaks have been discovered in that large bundle of wires that run along the frame and neck and are exposed between the tank and the front of the bike. Some may be found under the tank where they sometimes get pinched against the frame. Over time vibration and movement often breaks the wires inside the insulation. A simple way to test this is to safely reach down and move that bundle back and forth with the bike moving. If the speedo jumps, therein lies the problem. Another way is to centerstand the bike (if you have one, and check it that way with the rear wheel spinning). Using a service manual you can do a continuity check to try and localize the breakage.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »

The other reason I think it may be broken wires is that in your posting you mentioned that it happened again when you made the TURN onto your street. That turning and leaning motion is usually enough to flex the wires and cause interruption in the speedo signal.

One way to really know is to swap out the speedo pick up. However instead of completely removing the factory one, just unplug both ends and attach the new one before riding. Then take it for ride. If it's not the speedo pick up, then you will have saved yourself the aggravation of stripping out the old one and completely installing a new one.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

Well I did take the speed sensor off and it was covered with metal shavings. I cleaned it off and reinstalled it. Took the bike for a ride and everything seemed to be fine right up till I took the turn on to my street. It happened again. So I took sensor off again to look at it and there was still some more metal on the sensor. Cleaned it again and went for another ride and this time everything was ok all the way. I had the bike out for about 25 mile ride in the hot weather..got back home and inspected the sensor again. Well this time it was clean. So I think I may have gotten to the bottom of the problem. I hope so. If it happens again I will get new sensor and install it keeping my fingers crossed. Thank all for your help.

Good luck on the filings you discovered on the sensor head taking care of the problem.  There's a fair chance it will.  If you saw a lot there might also be prudent to drain the fluid and see what's on the magnetic tip of the drain plug.  Worthwhile to view to get an idea if the shavings are dramatic or not and might suggest some transmission problem.  Probably just fine.  But worth finding out at home rather than on the road somewhere.

JackLINY48

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »

I just had the speed sensor problem while at Americaide in Lake George NY a few weeks back.  My speedometer was bouncing then went to zero...which effected the cruise control and the turn signal cancellations. I have a blue 2001 FLTRSE2,  I didn't know about cleaning it off, didn't see the old one so I am not sure if it was contaminated.  Anyway, $150- later I was smiling with the new speed sensor since I could use the cruise for the ride home.  I also just installed a Clearview 14" clear windshield with the recurve.  I am 6'4 with the stock seat still on the bike. I love it, perfect size and the air deflection is great.  You guys are amazing, the info that comes thru here is invaluable...and without a doubt one of the best sites I have ever joined.  THANKS !

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 12:37:13 AM »

Extremely common that the sensor does this.  You will most likely be replacing the sensor in the near future as once they start to fail they usually get worse.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

TR6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »

Well thanks everyone for information on this topic.  I ultimately did replace the speed sensor and the problem did indeed go away.  I have found that when I have questions about my bike, I first do a search on this site and I have learned so much from others here.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 20 queries.