Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Electrocuted by Spiced Rum  (Read 3050 times)

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Re: Electrocuted by Spiced Rum
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »

Have 550 kvolt lines running across my farm and my driveway runs right under them (and the 220 kvolt lines next to them) and have never had a shocking experience on the bike. Now if standing on the ground and touch a car or bike will some times get a small discharge. Also never had a problem starting the bike under the lines, which I have done many times.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »

I'm an electrical engineer for a large power company.  I have access to HVAC power lines.  Thanks for the offer though!

Right now we have 345kV and a little 500kV, but we are fixing to start building a 765kV line.

have you ever walked thru the yard and touched a ground and been shocked?
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »

Can't say that I have.  I also tend to not touch things in a substation or switch yard without the proper PPE.  I especially don't touch the ground points in the yard.  All it takes is a little zero sequence current to end you.
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »

Can't say that I have.  I also tend to not touch things in a substation or switch yard without the proper PPE.  I especially don't touch the ground points in the yard.  All it takes is a little zero sequence current to end you.
Nor do I as a Lineman. Especially when .01 of an amp can kill you.
TJ

StrikerDown

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC-5 Metalic Pumpkin, Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »

When we was ridin i sometimes let my thumb rest up on the steel throttle casing. And when i ride under the power lines it doesd somthin to the electronic throttle that causes the electricity to bite me if i am touching the throttle casing.

Scotr

The Steel throttle casing needs to have a mechanical ground to the frame (the bikes ground).  It seems like it would be done that way when it it attached though, so check that it's attaching hardware is tight and correctly attached.

The magnetic flux created in close proximity to the high tension lines can generate electrical energy in any circuit and if the throttle cable is an open circuit to ground it may be arching through or using your finger as a path to a complete circuit. Insuring it is grounded at the bars where it is attached should be the cure.

Bring a small coil of wire under those power lines with an AC volt meter attached at both ends and see how much voltage is generated. The higher the voltage in the transmission lines, the closer the proximity, and the longer the wire in the coil the higher the voltage that it will make.

I once asked a rancher why he had four strings of barbed wire on one of his fence lines and only 3 on the others he said that gives me a complete circuit under the power lines!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:23:10 PM by StrikerDown »
Ray

Past Bikes: Several honda's, two Sportsters-76-01, 91-Fat Boy, 96 Heritage classic, 2000 Road King.

Present: 2010 FLHTCUSE
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.