Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Electrocuted by Spiced Rum  (Read 3061 times)

scotr

• Scotr
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide CVO Spiced Rum
Electrocuted by Spiced Rum
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »

Two weeks ago me and the misses was ridin and I felt a sharp burning feeling under the right side of my thumb. Pulled my hand off the throttle and kinda shook it. Thought that ewas weird. Later that day ridin home it happened again on my left hand. What the f------K is up!
Yesterday we was ridin and it happened again and this time i saw we was goin under the High Voltage power lines.

When we was ridin i sometimes let my thumb rest up on the steel throttle casing. And when i ride under the power lines it doesd somthin to the electronic throttle that causes the electricity to bite me if i am touching the throttle casing.
Gonna take it to the stealer and have them look at it but i does enyone know wat could cause this.

Scotr
Life Is Good!
The Scotr,
Fullsac performance x pipe
Andrews 54 cams
Vance & Hines Basic slip ons
Hogtunes and upgraded speakers
XM listening pleasures
Screamin Eagle chrome shifter
Eagle Talon kickstand
Kuryakin 9182 license frame

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
Re: Electrocuted by Spiced Rum
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »

static electricity from the high voltage line. It can happen if you are barely touching the metal. If you are making a firm contact with metal it will drain off static. I have been in high voltage for 45 years and that is not uncommon
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

scotr

• Scotr
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:18 PM »

that esplains why it only happens few times. Thanks

Scotr
Life Is Good!
The Scotr,
Andrews 54 cams
XM listening pleasures
Eagle Talon kickstand

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »

static electricity from the high voltage line. It can happen if you are barely touching the metal. If you are making a firm contact with metal it will drain off static. I have been in high voltage for 45 years and that is not uncommon

Wow.. Sugar... really?  is there the potential to fry electronics? 

On Edit:  my response sounds facetious (sp?)... didn't intend for that, I honestly didn't know this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:22:33 AM by Maladjusted »
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

jmhenrie

• Full CVO Member
  • expensive oil change

• CVO1: 2007 screaming eagle electra glide Gone
    • CVO2: 2010 screeming Eagle electra glide cvo limited black
    • CVO3: 2012 cvo electra glide Electic Orange/black
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

Just for info....
When I picked up my Bike in Arizona, the dealer warned me not to park under High Voltage lines, you may not be able to restart untill you move the bike if you have the factory Security system.
cheers
John

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »

The 07 SEULTRA gave me a shock to the left hand a few times.  Never knew why.  Must have been power lines.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »

The 07 SEULTRA gave me a shock to the left hand a few times.  Never knew why.  Must have been power lines.

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »

Wow.. Sugar... really?  is there the potential to fry electronics? 

On Edit:  my response sounds facetious (sp?)... didn't intend for that, I honestly didn't know this.

I have walked thru a 500kv yard with a fluorescent in my hand and it lit up
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »

Might want to try a couple ground straps, I think JC Whitney still sells them.  Not sure about the raccoon tail, that might be a special order item. ::)

If you don't want the 1950's fix, try a wrist grounding strap available at your friendly computer store.  Just tell folks it's a deadman switch lanyard for drag racing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »

Might want to try a couple ground straps, I think JC Whitney still sells them.  Not sure about the raccoon tail, that might be a special order item. ::)

If you don't want the 1950's fix, try a wrist grounding strap available at your friendly computer store.  Just tell folks it's a deadman switch lanyard for drag racing.

Jerry

;D ;D ;D

Or sell the bike...like I did.

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »

If that were the case, the rider would also experience the same static charge, but it wouldn't be static charge anyway because the source of the electromagnetic field is AC.  If it was a high voltage DC power line I could see this.  I do agree with the fluorescent tube lighting up.  The alternating e field excites electrons inside the tube and they give off their energy as light as they fall to lower energy levels.  Also, if it was ESD it wouldn't feel like a constant shock, it would just pop you like when you wear wool socks across the carpet. 

I don't know why the power lines are causing this or that they even are.  It is interesting that it happens around EHV transmission lines.  I'd have it checked out. 
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

scotr

• Scotr
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

I think i will have it checked out. I do know when riding i either put my thumbs right on it and i get no shock or i move them away.

Scotr
Life Is Good!
The Scotr,
Andrews 54 cams
XM listening pleasures
Eagle Talon kickstand

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »

If that were the case, the rider would also experience the same static charge, but it wouldn't be static charge anyway because the source of the electromagnetic field is AC.  If it was a high voltage DC power line I could see this.  I do agree with the fluorescent tube lighting up.  The alternating e field excites electrons inside the tube and they give off their energy as light as they fall to lower energy levels.  Also, if it was ESD it wouldn't feel like a constant shock, it would just pop you like when you wear wool socks across the carpet. 

I don't know why the power lines are causing this or that they even are.  It is interesting that it happens around EHV transmission lines.  I'd have it checked out. 

If ever in Al. let me know. I can take you close to hi voltage lines and prove it.
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:20 PM »

I'm an electrical engineer for a large power company.  I have access to HVAC power lines.  Thanks for the offer though!

Right now we have 345kV and a little 500kV, but we are fixing to start building a 765kV line.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:03:28 PM by dustingaunder »
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.