Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: J & P Cycles News  (Read 687 times)

Wanna ride

J & P Cycles News
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »

Not sure if anyone has heard about this, but please read and consider being an organ donor.

The American Dream – A Letter From Our President, John Parham 1,558 June 16, 2010 | By : John Parham | Categorized Under : Announcements The American Dream

J&P Cycles® truly is a business representative of the
American Dream. Jill and I started by selling parts out of the back of a van from a small town in Iowa. Now, we are the world’s largest retailer of aftermarket parts for motorcycles. It took a lot of work, sacrifices, dedicated employees, a strong family and some luck to get to this point.

The reason I am writing this letter is to hopefully help us all realize the simple things in life truly matter most. I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis in the fall of 2007 (I never smoked cigarettes). Pulmonary Fibrosis is a lung disease, where your lung tissue becomes scarred and dies, never growing again. I have had 55 percent lung capacity since 2007, at least until March 16, 2010. That was the day I was admitted to the hospital for emergency colon surgery. That surgery went well, but in recovery, I got pneumonia and spent 33 days in Intensive Care as well as another 19 days in the hospital for a total of 52 days. My lungs are now damaged further and I am on oxygen at all times. I have had to learn how to swallow food and liquids all over again. I have never worked so hard in my whole life as I have in the last 10 weeks. I can walk short distances up to 75 feet, but then my oxygen levels drop to very low levels. My only hope to live is a lung transplant. Why am I telling you all this? It is not to feel sorry for me. I am a fighter; I want to live. Jill and I have way too many things we still want to do. One is watch our grandchild, Kaiden grow up.

But through these last two months, I have realized how important certain things in life really are. My family has provided never ending support and has always been there for me, especially Jill. My friends have, as well. I have seen friends in the last 10 weeks, I haven’t seen in years, and have received cards from all over the world. It really makes you realize how lucky you are. Believing in God and praying for strength to continue to keep going everyday is important. I had a lot of people praying for me and I appreciate it so much.

When you think about it, the most important thing is your health. You have to take care of yourself. Then, you need your family, friends and faith to help support each other.

As I laid in the intensive care unit, I dreamed of such simple things like being at home to sit on my front porch to smell the grass and hear the birds sing. It’s amazing how one’s priorities change when faced with a severe illness. So, please take time to think about all the things in your life that are important then look at them again if the doctor told you that you only had one year to live.

If you haven’t seen the movie “Bucket List” with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, it’s a good movie. Maybe a little extreme with things they were able to do, but Jill and I created a bucket list three years ago and now we are on our second list. Many of the things were quite simple, but we just never took the time to do them before.

Last year Jill and I were married for 35 years and J&P Cycles® had their 30th year in business with over 22,000 people attending our Open House. My next dream is in the works right now as we remodel a 36,000 square foot former Wal-Mart building off of Highway 151 and move the National Motorcycle Museum to this location. We will have the Arlen Ness, Awesome-Ness exhibit as well as many other motorcycle exhibits on display during the J&P Cycles Open House this year.

The final thing I want to talk about is becoming an organ donor. Let’s face it, we love to ride motorcycles and with that comes a higher chance of getting hurt or killed in a traffic accident. If you are not already, please consider signing up to be an organ donor. There are thousands of people on waiting lists to receive an organ transplant. Some even die before one becomes available. It’s like giving the gift of life to someone else. To find out more about organ donation visit: www.organdonor.gov. Next, click on the header “Be a Donor” then “how to register to be a donor in your state.” From there, you will be directed to specific information for your state on how you can become a donor.

Jill and I wish to thank you for your business all these years. Motorcycles have been my life for almost 34 years. I cannot think of a better industry to be in. We have made so many friends and have met so many wonderful people and customers over the years. Motorcycle people are real – what you see is what you get. And, they are the most generous, loyal, honest and helpful people you will ever meet.

God bless all of you!

Ride Safe!

John Parham

Written By: John Parham

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: J & P Cycles News
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »

A friend of mine here in St. Louis area just had a lung transplant a couple weeks ago.  He was in the hospital full time and was not going to make until there was of course an accident.  The lungs do not last very long once removed so having someone prepped and ready to receive them is very important.  I didn't know this but you have to have both lungs changed at the same time so both leave and two new ones get put in.  I can't imagine the amount of machinery necessary to keep someone alive while all this is taking place.

My wife and I are listed as donors and I hope we live long enough that our organs are all used up, but in the case of an accident, I would feel honored to be able to save another person's life.

His story was a great one and I wish him the best of luck getting a transplant before it's too late.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: J & P Cycles News
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »

My sister Patty was an organ donor (July 04) and helped at least 3 people with her heart, liver, and kidneys..
Several on this site have met her heart recipient Tim who lives less than 100 miles away and we get together a couple of times a year.  Last year I helped Lifeline of Ohio sign up cyclists with their "Live on Rideon" donor campaign.
Wish J&P John and Dan's friend well as I believe the lungs are the hardest to transplant and adapt to the new person.   My Mom had the same disease as John and again never smoked.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.