Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dealership expierence  (Read 2258 times)

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
Dealership expierence
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »

Well I wonder if I am expecting too much...let me know.  I have an issue that started with the paint on my 2009 SERG engine and has now started to corrode the metal.  Background: The paint started to peel about 2 months ago and the dealer sent the required info and pictures to the MOCO.  The response was as expected.....paint over the corrosion and pealing paint.  The corrosion appears to be around all the seals where the case and transmission meet and down where the water collects at the bottom of the case.  Additionally, the metal is severely pitted and even flaking in some spots...the dealer agrees the metal has started to corrode.  To paint this right they need to tear the engine down, the service guys there agree this will not fix it but they say they have to follow the protocol.  Great. I asked about the time frame and was told about a week to 10 days. Great again. I asked about a loaner (they do rentals out of the dealership) and was told I could pony up for it I wanted but they were not going to do anything.  Here are my issues. 
1. Are my expectations out of line to think the dealer and or MOCO should put me on a bike for the week on their dime?
2. Do I let them do the "cover up" or make them fix it right(again the metal is starting to corrode it is not a paint issue anymore)?
3. There are several smaller issues with my chrome (the mirrors, and all the foot pegs) peeling and was told they could replace only one thing and that I ought to wait for it to be "worth it".  Is this right?
Any advice would be great.  I have not done anything else except voice my frustration calmly to the GM.

:nixweiss:

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Dealership expierence
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »

1. Yes, motorcycles are not considered a main source of transportation and I know of no dealers/manufacturers that provide service loaners like auto companies do. I am sure you can schedule a time that you can survive without your bike for a week or so.
2. That is your call, not ours. The corrosion should be just surface related - the engine is not going to disintegrate in front of your eyes. I would do some preventative work myself (temporarily sanding the area and touch up using a close match Rustoleum paint) as I know there is an issue and I would do everything I could to minimize the problem until it can be resolved.
3. One thing at a time. But I would shoot a letter off to HD customer relations so there is record of your issues.
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:52:49 PM »

Thanks for the response. the Bike is my mode of transportation but I understand they do not consider it so.  I was told NOT to touch the area at all due to possibly being considered an "owners modification".  Also thanks for the lesson in metallurgy, I get that but at this price I guess I expected more....my bad.     3.  I will check into it again.  Thanks again.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:55:54 PM by serg18 »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:01:47 PM »

Well I wonder if I am expecting too much...let me know.  I have an issue that started with the paint on my 2009 SERG engine and has now started to corrode the metal.  Background: The paint started to peel about 2 months ago and the dealer sent the required info and pictures to the MOCO.  The response was as expected.....paint over the corrosion and pealing paint.  The corrosion appears to be around all the seals where the case and transmission meet and down where the water collects at the bottom of the case.  Additionally, the metal is severely pitted and even flaking in some spots...the dealer agrees the metal has started to corrode.  To paint this right they need to tear the engine down, the service guys there agree this will not fix it but they say they have to follow the protocol.  Great. I asked about the time frame and was told about a week to 10 days. Great again. I asked about a loaner (they do rentals out of the dealership) and was told I could pony up for it I wanted but they were not going to do anything.  Here are my issues.  

1. Are my expectations out of line to think the dealer and or MOCO should put me on a bike for the week on their dime?
2. Do I let them do the "cover up" or make them fix it right(again the metal is starting to corrode it is not a paint issue anymore)?
3. There are several smaller issues with my chrome (the mirrors, and all the foot pegs) peeling and was told they could replace only one thing and that I ought to wait for it to be "worth it".  Is this right?
Any advice would be great.  I have not done anything else except voice my frustration calmly to the GM.

:nixweiss:

1. Are my expectations out of line to think the dealer and or MOCO should put me on a bike for the week on their dime?  My dealer has made the offer to make a loner bike available to me at no cost in the past, but I have never taken him up on the offer...

2. Do I let them do the "cover up" or make them fix it right(again the metal is starting to corrode it is not a paint issue anymore)?  I would insist they fix it right, and I have no doubt my dealer would fix it right. especially with corrosion occurring.

3. There are several smaller issues with my chrome (the mirrors, and all the foot pegs) peeling and was told they could replace only one thing and that I ought to wait for it to be "worth it".  Is this right?  Sounds like they are making up their own interpretation of the factory  warranty...On my 2004 SEEG, I had both front and rear wheels replaced twice due to peeling chrome (once after the factory warranty expired), I had both floorboards replaced and both mirrors replaced due to peeling chrome.  All without question or discussion.  I am reasonably certain my factory warranty reads the same as your factory warranty.  Why don't you read it and find the clause that says "replace only one thing".  Or better yet, ask them to show it to you.

Unfortunately, both the dealerships and the factory seem to interpret the factory warranty as the wind blows...  Different dealers have different responses to the same issue.  The MOCO  - within its customer service group - has different responses to the same issue - depending on who answers the phone.  The only consistency seems to be consistently inconsistent.  It seems as though having a great relationship with a great dealer is the only sure method to have the warranty applied as written.  I would visit the owner of the dealership and start building your relationship with him/her.  No need to be irate, just insistent. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:04:48 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »

1. Are my expectations out of line to think the dealer and or MOCO should put me on a bike for the week on their dime?  My dealer has made the offer to make a loner bike available to me at no cost in the past, but I have never taken him up on the offer...

2. Do I let them do the "cover up" or make them fix it right(again the metal is starting to corrode it is not a paint issue anymore)?  I would insist they fix it right, and I have no doubt my dealer would fix it right. especially with corrosion occurring.

3. There are several smaller issues with my chrome (the mirrors, and all the foot pegs) peeling and was told they could replace only one thing and that I ought to wait for it to be "worth it".  Is this right?  Sounds like they are making up their own interpretation of the factory  warranty...On my 2004 SEEG, I had both front and rear wheels replaced twice due to peeling chrome (once after the factory warranty expired), I had both floorboards replaced and both mirrors replaced due to peeling chrome.  All without question or discussion.  I am reasonably certain my factory warranty reads the same as your factory warranty.  Why don't you read it and find the clause that says "replace only one thing".  Or better yet, ask them to show it to you.

Unfortunately, both the dealerships and the factory seem to interpret the factory warranty as the wind blows...  Different dealers have different responses to the same issue.  The MOCO  - within its customer service group - has different responses to the same issue - depending on who answers the phone.  The only consistency seems to be consistently inconsistent.  It seems as though having a great relationship with a great dealer is the only sure method to have the warranty applied as written.  I would visit the owner of the dealership and start building your relationship with him/her.  No need to be irate, just insistent. 

I agree completely with sadunbar. On a bike this new, corrosion and pitting chrome should never be excused. Be sure you understand the warranty and hold the moco to the letter of their law. The dealer should be in your corner on this. If they aren't, I would find another dealer, especially if you purchased the biker there.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »

1.  No, your expectations are not out of line.  There is no requirement in the warranty that they have to give you a loaner, but that is also true of most auto company warranties as well.  And many auto companies cover loaners for extended down time, while many dealers also offer loaners for short periods.  It's called good customer relations which helps lead to owner loyalty, word of mouth advertising, and future business.  Unfortunately, that's not a big thing for H-D or many of their dealerships.  They are still in the "if you don't like how we do business, tough chit" mode.  Is this the dealership where you spent over $32k (about $6k profit) to buy the bike?  If it is, I'd arrange a sit down with the dealer and have a little discussion about your reasonable expectations.  And if he blows you off, you need to find another place to spend your money in the future.  Need a part?  I'd ride a hundred miles to a different dealership before I'd spend a dime in a place that blows me off.  When everyone adopts that attitude, things will change.

2.  What do you mean by "fix it right"?  Definitely the H-D engine touch-up paint isn't a proper fix, and I wouldn't accept it.  That's the response many others with the same engine peeling problem have reported, and so far I don't remember anyone reporting an acceptable result with that BS.  I'm not sure what else you expect, but I think it's safe to say that a complete engine replacement isn't likely.  So the alternative is tearing the engine down completely, sending the cases either to a qualified powder coating company for stripping, prepping, and powder coating, or back to H-D for replacement with new cases.  Is this what the dealership is telling you they plan to do, or do they have some other idea like tearing it down partially and spraying it themselves with paint?  If that's their plan, and they don't do it right, then all you will end up with is the loss of use of your bike for 10 days and still have a crappy finish on the engine that will probably peel again.  Get it sorted out first, so you don't waste 10 days and then have to go through all of it again.

3.  That "only replace one part" crap has been pulled on some other folks on this site as well, usually those who live near the ocean.  Is the dealership trying to say your chrome isn't defective, and the peeling is due to atmospheric conditions or some such BS, but they will replace one part as a "goodwill adjustment"?  If so, they will need to provide proof that the parts are damaged and not just defective plating.  They and H-D don't get to just blow you off on warranty, they have to comply with Federal and State laws regarding warranty coverage.  And you don't necessarily have to go to the expense of hiring a lawyer, small claims court works pretty well for this kind of stuff.  BTW, I lived in Virginia Beach for over 16 years and never once had a chrome issue on any of my cars or my motorcycles (Yamaha's and  Honda's).  The only reason H-D is having issues with chrome is because they buy cheap parts with cheap plating.  Good parts with good plating will withstand hundreds of hours of salt spray testing without even pitting, much less peeling.

I suggest you contact H-D directly and speak to a manager in Customer Service.  You are definitely not the first and only person to have the paint peeling or chrome peeling issues, and I'm quite certain you won't be the first to call in with complaints.  Be polite but persistent, and you might actually find one of the few competent folks on the payroll who will decide to do the right thing to make a customer satisfied.  There have been a few reports of such things happening.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »

I suggest you contact H-D directly and speak to a manager in Customer Service.  You are definitely not the first and only person to have the paint peeling or chrome peeling issues, and I'm quite certain you won't be the first to call in with complaints.  Be polite but persistent, and you might actually find one of the few competent folks on the payroll who will decide to do the right thing to make a customer satisfied. 

Jerry

SERG18, the words above is the most important and easiest course of direction you can go.
As everyone has said, be nice but also be very persistant.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »

Poor guy is getting jerked around on a new bike.  And their hands have callouses.  Dipchit dealership. 

"Can only replace one" warranted point of failure.  What a crock.  And they really expect most people to just accept the crap they spew just because they say it....   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »

Replace only one is what is going to take them down.  Their chrome is peeling because they buy their parts based soley on the low bidder gets the job.  Usually in China or some other butthole country.  Parts are not properly cleaned and prepped then on top of it all they skip processes used in quality chromed products and we end up with crap and have too fight to get it replaced.

With what we pay especially for a CVO, you would think your great grandson could ride it when he turns 60, current crap will self destruct long before that.

HD quality goes hand in hand with the problems at York, crappy leadership.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »

Thanks to all for the sound advice.  It really does help!. I will contiune to push and try to get it resoleved.  Jerry, the fix it right I want is the take the cases out, clean them up and have them powder coated.  The fix they were auhorized....well the recieved a little touch up bottle of the grey paint.  They are going to try it there in the shop.  The real issue I have is the lead tech says he is doing the work and he thinks it sucks too and will not work.  The owner really does not do care.  I am really tired of the hand shakes and the GM trelling me how sorry he is and that it sucks.  I know whoa is me....I will keep you all posted.  Thanks again.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 09:11:08 AM »

Make HD fix it. My dealer loaned me a bike the last time they had my bike apart and did not have the needed part. They just offered I did not ask.
Bill

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »

Print this thread and give it to the owner. Tell him if he doesn't take care of you you will print the name of his dealership on this forum and we  will spread it throughout the free world that they should be avoided like the plague.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »

Just one quick question, are you covering your bike with a storm cover? and are you covering it when it is still warm? This can cause problems with chrome and paint. If your not forget what I just said.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

I know you won't be Happy with the touchup routine. I bought a bottle of Granite Engine Paint it is not even close to being the right color. So if they do not completely powder coat it will never match. MOCO can't even Powder Coat the Engine and Transmission and have them match.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
      Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »

Wouldn't is be nice if someone would address the root of the problem?.....So it doesn't happen again?
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 24 queries.