Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: fuel cap leaking gas  (Read 7242 times)

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
fuel cap leaking gas
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:07:49 PM »

just filled up 2day  and under axcelleration  my gas cap was leaking  anybody eles have this problem
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
Re: fuel cap leaking gas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »

Just had that happen last weekend. Gas blew all over me. I slowed down and it stopped. I think it was overfilled.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »

yea i was kinda thinkin  the same thing also
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 01:02:44 AM »

I've had mine for 5,000 miles and it's happened twice now. Both times after filling. Both times I turned the cap till it clicked. This last time, I noticed something. I always fill from a seated position. When I got off the bike I put the heal of my hand on top of cap and it turned a bit more before clicking!!! I think the caps may be faulty.
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:56:16 AM »

one should not fill up sitting on the bike. If there is a spillage, it will be on you and if it ignites by bad luck you will not get clear fast enough.

You shouldn't even stand between pump and bike.

I admit such incidents have become extremely rare - but nevertheless. I once saw a biker going up in flames, that was enough of a lesson ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 08:31:35 AM »

One additional point I'd like to add to Kraut's post.  This is not 1960, when fuel tanks where vented through a little hole in the gas cap and would burp fuel that would blow or run down to your crotch if you didn't pay attention.  Fuel tank safety requirements these days include venting systems that do not dump fuel on the rider.  I would run, not walk, to your fearless dealer and demand they fix whatever is wrong with that fuel cap.  No way it should be blowing fuel on the rider.  And the fact that more than one person seems to be experiencing this leads me to believe that you should notify H-D and possibly NHTSA as well.  And btw, even if the fuel that blows back on you doesn't ignite, you really don't want what's in motor fuel these days on your body.

Oh yeah, fill it on the jiffy stand and you will be less likely to overfill.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bikerdude1018

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2010 FLSTSE2 CVO Softail Convertable-Sold
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »

It's amazing this should come up.  I just came back from a 600 mile road trip & noticed there were signs of gas leaking from the cap even though I turned it until it clicked.  Previously, I smelled gas fumes coming from the cap & the dealer told me that's normal due to venting.  I'll go back up to the dealer & see what their fix is.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »

I seem to remember a situation many years ago with gas caps that "clicked" before they were actually tight.  That was in the automotive arena, and it resulted in a recall since it affected evaporative emissions.  This could very well be a similar situation, where the cap reaches it's torque limit before it actually seals.  It could be a bad batch of gas caps, or tighter than usual filler neck threads, or  :nixweiss:.  Whatever the reason, it's a safety issue and you should insist that it be fixed ASAP.  If it were mine, I'd call H-D and also file a report on the NHTSA web site.  Venting vapor under certain conditions is one thing, but there is no way that liquid fuel should escape.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fmonty

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »

Happened to me ... saw gas streaks on gas tank day after riding - figured I had not tightened cap sufficiently.  Was careful to hear a couple clicks on subsequent fill-ups.  A couple weeks later, topped off the tank, hopped on highway and was sprayed by gas.  Specifically recalled hearing the requisite couple of clicks following the fill-up.  Here's my take: have to apply some degree of downward pressure as you tighten the cap in order to achieve a proper seal.  Have not had issues since.

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »

That is exactly it! Only on a hot day, it doesn't just dribble, I've had it dump a half a quart or more. There are only two possible causes. #1.) The vent tube could be plugged or pinched causing excessive pressure from a fresh fill-up. But if you've had the tank off, it's unlikely since the vent tube runs inside a protective sheath. #2.) The cap seal is questionable.
        I think that HD should err on the side of caution. It shouldn't take "extra downward pressure" to get a good seal. But you know as well as I do, that is going to be the dealers remedy! Until some poor soul gets burned up!
        Currently I'm working straight nights on turnaround in a "Refinery." I don't have any days off to take care of this... ( Any volunteers?).....But I will address it with my dealer first chance I get!)
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »

That is exactly it! Only on a hot day, it doesn't just dribble, I've had it dump a half a quart or more. There are only two possible causes. #1.) The vent tube could be plugged or pinched causing excessive pressure from a fresh fill-up. But if you've had the tank off, it's unlikely since the vent tube runs inside a protective sheath. #2.) The cap seal is questionable.
        I think that HD should err on the side of caution. It shouldn't take "extra downward pressure" to get a good seal. But you know as well as I do, that is going to be the dealers remedy! Until some poor soul gets burned up!         Currently I'm working straight nights on turnaround in a "Refinery." I don't have any days off to take care of this... ( Any volunteers?).....But I will address it with my dealer first chance I get!)

You're right that it will most likely be blown off by the dealers, but trust me, they and the MoCo don't get to blow this one off like they do most other stuff.  This sort of thing is regulated by EPA and NHTSA; there are actual standards involved.  And the cap is supposed to seal without any special operator tweaks.  Try it with the cap on your car, there is absolutley no downward force necessary to seat the cap, just the twisting motion until the cap clicks.  Try it with the cap on an e'glide, same thing.  I strongly suggest that those with this problem take it seriously, and don't accept the standard blowoff as an answer.

Jerry

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »

wow  i didnt realize this many folks had issues with there gas cap ...i will be heading to dealer on sunday  and will let you what they say  or did .... got my fingers cross that they will do more then just a speech  on how to properly fill you harley
what really piss's me of i just spent aprox 4 +hrs on cleaning  less then 45mins of riding  dam gas leaks on my freshly clean and waxed bike   
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »

well went to my HD dealership  they made a  work order , warranty my  gas cap  after explaining  what happen 
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »

I`ve had it happen a couple of times after filling, but both times I pulled to the side of the road unscrewed the flush fitting cap then refitted it and all was ok

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »

Something isn't venting properly. It can't be so easy as a fill cap replacement can it?

:nixweiss:

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.