Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Author Topic: ipod interface install  (Read 39911 times)

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Re: ipod interface install
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

Has anyone considered running the cable OVER the tank, under the console? Much easier, and provides heat resistance confidence as well.

You just caused me one of the "DOH!" moments.  Never even thought about it.  There is a gap at the front of the console and it looks like the cable would fit thru it. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlett Red Pearl & Dark Slate
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »

Can you reach the console from underneath with just lifting the tank a little without having to remove it?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »

Why would you have to move the tank? Just unbolt the screws for the console, and lift. That how I pan to run my air line that I am similarly concerned about the heat.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

CVOIRA

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »

The chrome console doesn't go down to the end of the tank on my bike. You will see 2 inches of black cable before it hides under the chrome. Is this the way you are explaining or am I missing something. Thanks for your help. 

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »

The chrome console doesn't go down to the end of the tank on my bike. You will see 2 inches of black cable before it hides under the chrome. Is this the way you are explaining or am I missing something. Thanks for your help. 
On the Ultras, the console goes all the way to the seat - well there is a small gap, but there are already wiring harnesses on both sides that you can see so what's another? Not sure what model you are referring to, but the ipod thing is only applicable to bikes with the HD radio, and I believe all bat winged bikes at least had the full lenght console? Not sure about the RG, but what do you have??

CVOIRA

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »

I have a 2010 ultra cvo. It's the front of the chrome console that doesn't go to the end of the tank. You see 2 inches of cable leading up to the chrome from the frame. Maybe I am missing something. Thanks for your patients.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »

Grab the front edge of the seat and just lift a bit and you will see two or three harnesses going toward the battery from under the console. Additionally, if you look on the front of the console, you will see on both sides of the frame backbone, some of those same harnesses going forward to the fairing. Simply, route the cable next to one of the harnesses going from the fairing to under the seat on top of the tank and under the console. To see the harnesses coming out from under the console up front, turn the handle bars to open things up a bit. Pretty straight forward.

CVOIRA

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »

Here are some pictures of what I did temporarly to run the cable as you suggested under the console instead of under the tank. Is this the way you were talking about?

CVOIRA

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »

another picture routing the ipod cable under the console

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »

Yes, that's the idea, but weren't there other harnesses going through there already? Mine has three, two that were stock and one that was run for my dash switch for the Legend air shocks.

CVOIRA

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »

There is no harness running from the frame up to the console. All the harnesses run under the tank.  The i-pod cable that I ran stands alone like you see in the picture. Would you leave it like that or would you run it under the tank?
What kind of bike do you have? Thanks again for trying to help me.

Ira

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »

'06 SEUC. Seems very weird because you should at least have some wiring I would think for the CB connector?  I don't know, but like I said, I have three harnesses running under the console from fron to rear, and I think that's certainly easier than lifting the tank. I'll have to look at my buddies '11. Good thing is, it's done, right? Keep tabs on it and switch it if you run into an issue. Just watch for chaffing.

CVOIRA

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »

It was a great idea you had but I don't think I feel comfortable leaving it as a stand alone cable in that area with no harness. I will give it some more thought. Thanks again for all your help.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

CVOIRA
My 09 is like yours, no wires running up into the front gap on the console.  I don't see any harm in running it that way, especially since earlier models were using that as a wire routing method.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  If you don't like the look and don't mind removing the tank to route it, go for it. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »

CVOIRA
My 09 is like yours, no wires running up into the front gap on the console.  I don't see any harm in running it that way, especially since earlier models were using that as a wire routing method.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  If you don't like the look and don't mind removing the tank to route it, go for it. 
Well exactly that. Imho, it's definitely better protected from the heat, absolutely much easier, so why not? However, you do have to make sure the console still has a channel so the wires don't get pinched. Once that's confirmed, it seems to be the ideal solution - At least it is to me.  BTW, isn't the CB connector still on the console? I thought so, which means there has to be some wiring routed under there. Perhaps on the left side??
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.