Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: ipod interface install  (Read 39897 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
Re: ipod interface install
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »

Does anybody know if the ipod interface will work with the ipod classic?

I've used my GenIII 40 gig and my 160 gig Classic and both worked well with the iPod Interface Module.  The only problem I had with my 160 gig Classic is that about every song it would stop, or hesitate, for about 3 seconds about a minute from the end of the song.  It would start back up without any intervention on my part.  I had issues with this particular Classic even in my car so it's probably not the bike application as the problem.

I did buy one of the new 16 gig Mini Nano's to use and it's been working great; not hesitation at the end of any song.

I understand the warning from HD about the hard drive of the Classic model, but the hard drive only runs about every 4th song or so to buffer up so many megs and then stops turning.  I can see that a VERY hard bump "could" affect the hard drive physically though.

If you're going to do a LOT of riding with the iPod, I would recommend a solid state memory Nano just as a precaution.  8 gig for about $145 and the 16 gig about $170 on sale.  I also do a lot different playlists for the bike than i do when I have the option of spinning the click wheel to do my searches.  I have about 300 playlists on my 160 gig as it's easier to do the Best Of for my more listened to artists than to do a search by artist or search by album.

Enjoy your new iPod Interface Module.  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

mlb3164

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: Wanna be CVO 2010 FLHX 120R
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »

Ok what am I missing. I am trying to install the Ipod interface on a 2010 Street Glide with the standard radio. I have everything hooked up but cannot for the life of me find the other half of the interconnect harness or the audio harness. I found a female six pin plug tucked behind the speedo but not the other side. It was plugged into NOTHING!!! Any help will be appreciated.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »

Ok what am I missing. I am trying to install the Ipod interface on a 2010 Street Glide with the standard radio. I have everything hooked up but cannot for the life of me find the other half of the interconnect harness or the audio harness. I found a female six pin plug tucked behind the speedo but not the other side. It was plugged into NOTHING!!! Any help will be appreciated.

Do you have the 35 pin "extra" harness?  I thought I had everything until I took the fairing off and found that I was missing this 35 pin cable kit.  I think it was about $20, but without it your up a creek.  Apparently that harness comes with either XM or Nav on the Ultra's, but on Road Glides and Street Glides without the extra radio features, you need this 35 pin plug/harness kit.

As you're looking at the radio from the front of the bike, at least on my '09 SERG, this 35 pin harness would go in the empty plug on the rear of the radio.  I ordered the harness and it went in great.  Just make sure that you have the revised September installation instructions as they have the correct pin location for 19 and 31 in the 35 pin connector.

Good luck with your install.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »

The harness with the 35 pin connector on it is the Non Ultra Overlay Harness with retails for $129. Part Number  70169-06

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »

The harness with the 35 pin connector on it is the Non Ultra Overlay Harness with retails for $129. Part Number  70169-06

On my '09 SERG I only had to buy the plug kit for around $20 and not the overlay harness.  I still had one end of the 6-pin harness unused when completed.

I believe the Street Glide and my bike to be about the same with radio options, or the lack there of, no NAV, COM, or XM.

Here is a picture of the 35 pin plug and harness I had to buy.  It's only the plug with a two wire set about 18" long.  Not a $130 overlay cable.  I don't have the part number here at work, but I'm sure someone will be able to supply it today.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »

On my '09 SERG I only had to buy the plug kit for around $20 and not the overlay harness.  I still had one end of the 6-pin harness unused when completed.

I believe the Street Glide and my bike to be about the same with radio options, or the lack there of, no NAV, COM, or XM.

Here is a picture of the 35 pin plug and harness I had to buy.  It's only the plug with a two wire set about 18" long.  Not a $130 overlay cable.  I don't have the part number here at work, but I'm sure someone will be able to supply it today.

May be worth taking the outer fairing off to have a look before buying anything...

mlb3164

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: Wanna be CVO 2010 FLHX 120R
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2010, 01:34:20 PM »

Do you have the 35 pin "extra" harness?  I thought I had everything until I took the fairing off and found that I was missing this 35 pin cable kit.  I think it was about $20, but without it your up a creek.  Apparently that harness comes with either XM or Nav on the Ultra's, but on Road Glides and Street Glides without the extra radio features, you need this 35 pin plug/harness kit.

As you're looking at the radio from the front of the bike, at least on my '09 SERG, this 35 pin harness would go in the empty plug on the rear of the radio.  I ordered the harness and it went in great.  Just make sure that you have the revised September installation instructions as they have the correct pin location for 19 and 31 in the 35 pin connector.

Good luck with your install.

Yes I purchased the kit with the 35 pin connector and have this installed with the correct pin locations. What I am missing is where it says in the instructions to connect 6A and 6B to the connectors on the bike I only have one of those connectors. It was tucked up near the speedo with nothing else plugged to it. I am baffled.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »

Yes I purchased the kit with the 35 pin connector and have this installed with the correct pin locations. What I am missing is where it says in the instructions to connect 6A and 6B to the connectors on the bike I only have one of those connectors. It was tucked up near the speedo with nothing else plugged to it. I am baffled.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I used the iPod Interface wiring to hook up to one of the #6 plugs and the other end stayed unused and just tucked it back into the harness with cable ties.  So don't be alarmed if you cannot find everything there as without some of the other options, XM, NAV etc, there may not be another plug to plug into.

The instructions are not very well written if you don't understand what you're working with, I sure didn't.  Other than the 35 pin connector kit I had to get for the second go around, it all fell into place eventually.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

shenengr

« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »

If you didn't get the NUOH.... Non Ultra Overlay Harness.... you need it.  $129  list.  Just did this to my 2011 SESG2 and was looking at the wiring diagrams for your bike.... You need the overlay harness

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »

shenengr, not sure why you say the NUOH is required when the ipod installation instructions say the ipod/navigation connector, p/n 69200033, can be used if the bike doesn't have an NUOH.  Here are the instructions for the 69200033 and show how it takes the place of the NUOH in providing the necessary connection between the 35 wire connector on the HK radio and the ipod harness:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pdf

If you did the installation, how did you create the 6B connector needed for the NUOH "interconnect" connector 6A?
The lack of the 6B connector is a primary reason for HD saying the XM, NIM, and other accessories won't fit the SESG2?

Carl

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:16:41 AM by Harleypingman »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »

If you didn't get the NUOH.... Non Ultra Overlay Harness.... you need it.  $129  list.  Just did this to my 2011 SESG2 and was looking at the wiring diagrams for your bike.... You need the overlay harness

I believe that the '09 SERG and the SESG1's and 2's use the same radio without all the XM, NAV and COM etc.  All I bought was the iPod Interface Module from Jenni at 20% off and then when I found out I needed the 35-pin connector cheap kit, I ordered that from my local dealer as the shipping from Jenni would be more than the 20% discount and tax.

I used "just" the cheap 35-pin connector with the mini 2 wire harness and even with the reversed two wires in the 35-pin plug, the iPod worked the way it was supposed to.  When I switched the two wires, the sound was now centered and both speakers worked just as though I had my iPod in the AUX jack.

There may be some difference between fixed and batwing fairing bikes, but if the radio options are the same, lack of anything but the radio, it "should" work with the mini 35-pin kit and without the $129 cable set.

I could be wrong, but it worked for me without an extra $100.00.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »

shenengr, not sure why you say the NUOH is required when the ipod installation instructions say the ipod/navigation connector, p/n 69200033, can be used if the bike doesn't have an NUOH.  Here are the instructions for the 69200033 and show how it takes the place of the NUOH in providing the necessary connection between the 35 wire connector on the HK radio and the ipod harness:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pd

If you did the installation, how did you create the 6B connector needed for the NUOH "interconnect" connector 6A?
The lack of the 6B connector is a primary reason for HD saying the XM, NIM, and other accessories won't fit the SESG2?

Carl

The link didn't work fro me, would you have another link?
Hawg

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »

The link didn't work fro me, would you have another link?

He lopped the "f" off of pdf.  Try this: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pdf
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2010, 01:53:36 AM »

You've identified a mistake in the installation instructions.  That plug you found is connector 6B and does not have a mating connector, 6A, on FLHX, FLHT, FLHTC, FLTR, and FLTRX models as delivered by the factory.  So there is no connector 6 to separate per the instructions.  You should connect the mating 6A connector from the harness included in your kit to that 6B connector you found.  The unused 6B connector of the harness from the kit you have should be capped/unused.

Carl
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.