Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Is that a fuel cut I'm hitting on full accel  (Read 3474 times)

CVOglide

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
Is that a fuel cut I'm hitting on full accel
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:14:16 PM »

Hi,
Sorry to ask a rookie question.But as with all of my past fuel injected Harley's, when I full throttle accelerate hard, the bike chokes off. I know it's a rev limiter of some kind, but I think it comes on too soon. If not too soon its so un-natural the way it shuts of the bike on the top of the torque band.. I think as with anything else we drive, when it doesn't make anymore power, its normal for it to run out of breath as it hits peak power and starts to fall off while the R's are still going up. But as you all know, HD shuts that thing down like someone turned off the key... I need to raise the threshold or eliminate it completely... With my 03' Road King it was a download that helped. Not much. But better. What is it in my 2009 CVO 110 Road Glide? Is it in the ignition module or fuel? And how do I deal with it better. The bike is bone stock. I want to do a few mods because I know theres a lot left. It runs quiet and quick now, so I wasn't going to mess with it but if it's there I want more!
Thanks,
Richie

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: Is that a fuel cut I'm hitting on full accel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »

Hi Richie,

with either a SESPT (Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro) or a TTS Mastertune you can among other things push up the rev limit. If you want to do some more mods you will need one of those anyway.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

CVOglide

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »

Hey thanks for the info Kraut.... I appreciate the help. I wonder if I can use or should use a Power Commander.... It appears doing a little homework that the TTS seems like the box to use. Thanks again,
Richie

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

Not sure how much control the current model Power Commander gives you over the rev limit; the PCIII models had a feature that reset the limit to 6200 rpm but you couldn't pick and choose your own number.  The TTS is probably the best way to go, as it will allow you to adjust many more parameters.  Better to make the purchase one time and have the maximum versatility for the future.

BTW, with the stock 110 engine you aren't going to gain much of anything other than wear and tear by increasing the rev limiter setting.  The engine is tuned for low end torque, and if you look at the stock torque and power curves you will find that both are dropping before you hit the stock rev limit.  You will get better acceleration short shifting, not by over revving the engine.  And of course the rev limiter is there to protect the expensive parts; be very careful about setting the limit too high.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tightredcorset

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »

Hi,
Sorry to ask a rookie question.But as with all of my past fuel injected Harley's, when I full throttle accelerate hard, the bike chokes off. I know it's a rev limiter of some kind, but I think it comes on too soon. If not too soon its so un-natural the way it shuts of the bike on the top of the torque band.. I think as with anything else we drive, when it doesn't make anymore power, its normal for it to run out of breath as it hits peak power and starts to fall off while the R's are still going up. But as you all know, HD shuts that thing down like someone turned off the key... I need to raise the threshold or eliminate it completely... With my 03' Road King it was a download that helped. Not much. But better. What is it in my 2009 CVO 110 Road Glide? Is it in the ignition module or fuel? And how do I deal with it better. The bike is bone stock. I want to do a few mods because I know theres a lot left. It runs quiet and quick now, so I wasn't going to mess with it but if it's there I want more!
Thanks,
Richie

At 5250 the torque as it decreases, and the hp as it peaks cross paths. Anything beyond that is just making noise.

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

check the sensor that shuts the bike down if it tips over   ...   mine was mounted a little crooked and took me months to find

the problem   ...   harley will never find it   ...    no problem since

wts
someday- today-will be the good old days

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »

Why the he'll would ANYONE want to tear a damn good motorcycle up like that? You wanna hear high RPM's. Buy a Crotch Rocket! V-Twins are not built for that, and there's other ways of getting more power without abusing your bike Man!
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

I seem to have the same problem when my bike is hot and taking off from a complete stop.  Noticed it today.  I normally give a little rev prior to taking off because of the single cylinder idle, once I get both cylinders working I take off.  Several times today, I took off with very little power available.

Has anyone heard of this?

Joe
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

nazzz46

• Junior CVO Member
  • harley beast 1 and 2 at rest

• CVO1: 2009 cvo fotbob red and black (beast #1)
    • CVO2: 2008 cvo road king (harley beast #2 )
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

I seem to have the same problem when my bike is hot and taking off from a complete stop.  Noticed it today.  I normally give a little rev prior to taking off because of the single cylinder idle, once I get both cylinders working I take off.  Several times today, I took off with very little power available.

Has anyone heard of this?

Joe

yes i have Joe, the dealer said he can tune the lag time out of the throttle , i am going to give them a chance to do that ,along with a dyno tune and see what happens i will keep you posted i have to keep the rpms up when i take off 
i would never belong to a club that would have me as a member ................

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »

When I first rode my 2010 it was hard to get used to queit bike and shifting points ,rev limiter was lower then previous bike .All better now have bike tunned and a t-max.

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »

PCIII or PCV can both extend the limit to 6200, if you print the form out from the software Dynojet will send you a unlock code for free to extend it another 500 rpm to 6700.  If you have a well built motor, and I have seen a few, and need it to go farther and can send them a dyno chart showing hte bike still climbing in power and trq at 6700 they will send you a code to unlock it to where you want.  Dyno tech might charge for doing this for sure, but dynojet doesnt.  I have a few customers at 7500 and still making power.  No doubt these are monster motors, but just fyi.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »

CVOGLIDE,
Welcome to the site. You didn't indicate what gears this "problem" is showing up. Do you have a tach? My '08 CVO Springer will not reach WOT in first,second or third before it's on the limiter due to the tremendous low-end torque of the 110 motor. Mine is also stock including pipes. If you came off another H-D bike it will take a short time for you to get used to the different shift points this motor prefers. If you try to go WOT in the lower gears you will probably hit the limiter at a little over half throttle! Try "short-shifting" in the lower gears and see if you like it better. It is hard to shift by ear with these bikes compared with the old 88s and newer 96s. BTW fifth gear at only 3,000 rpm is seventy mph and the motor is not even straining. Perhaps you might get more familiar with the characteristics of your new ride before you spend a bunch on unnecessary up grades.
Just a thought.
Shortdog

k9guy

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

Probably hit the rev limiter.  If you are going to do any work to the engine buy the HD race tuner.  You can re-tune anytime you make a change ie.. exhaust, cams etc.  That is if you dont do all the chaneges at one time.  Race tuner still the best route in my opinion.  A good dyno tuner can do all kinds of good stuff to the bike.  Higher rpm, better fuel management, get rid of the one cylinder shut down when hot, etc....  Good luck and enjoy that new machine!

CVOglide

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »

I am not used to over revving my 110. And I am also not used to WOT operation. However I had 88's before and I had an 08' Road Glide with a 96 before this bike. But I don't remember hitting the rev limiter under 5,000 rpm.... I'm sure that you guys are right. This motor is not made to rev high or make power up there, but the other day I hit it hard and I didn't like the abrupt fuel shut off. It feels strange.

I just looked up a review on an 2009 CVO and they were saying it makes max torque 115 ft lbs @ 3600-4,000 rpm. That definately is a lower RPM than I'm used to. I should learn to shift it earlier in a WOT situation. I have 5,600 miles on it and it was the first time I decided to jump on it. It is totally stock and I do like the way it runs. It seems to run faster and jump higher than other bikes and runs better than any bagger I have ever owned. But after having an S&S 113 I realize I like a few extra ponies on my ride. I also know it's a touring bike and NOT a sport bike so I don't want to butcher a beautiful motorcycle. But I'm told that Harley left a few horsepower locked up in the emission process that I'd like to have back! Could anybody suggest a few modest or bolt on mods that they have done that can truely make it everything I want without major alterations?  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:31:21 PM by CVOglide »

k9guy

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:12 AM »

Exhaust and better breather.  "Stage 1"?  The motorheads can help you with this one.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 24 queries.