Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: From V-Twin lover to CVO Nightmare  (Read 10131 times)

jasel

From V-Twin lover to CVO Nightmare
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:50:12 PM »

I am on a crusade. A decade ago, I couldn't have been a happier Harley owner. Starting with a Fat Boy, I went to a Road King Classic. The the model I swore I wouldn't get. The Ultra Classic. Luggage space, tunes, CB radio, comfort. 35,000 miles passed quickly, right in time for a 100th anniversary for the ride to the Milwaukee celebration.  A few points off for Elton John. But the pleasure of a dealer willing to put other jobs aside so you could get your 1000mi service in before metal bits started chewing up your engine.

All this led to the impulsive purchase of a 2010 FLHTCUSE5. I now had a garage, so my motorcycle had protection. Although, living outside for 6 years, the 2003 held up admirably..

So, I am obviously not your 1%er. I have no wife or children, and the lack of tuition or alimony allows me to indulge in expensive toys.

But if you read on in other posts, the 2010 may be the last of my Harleys, and rather than be a shining example of American manufacturing, it will be a rolling billboard explaining Harley's arbitrary policies and the depths to which a dealer can sink, as they cower in fear of the almighty Harley god.

Little did they realize that the American public is not so stupid. The quarter million dollar business man wants to be the tough Harley guy, but not at the expense of sitting in a puddle of oil in the middle of BFE.

In closing: The motorcycle was purchased at Crossroads Harley Davidson in Allentown, PA from the Sales Manager, Dave Lang. They are only interested in their profit. Wise consumers will avoid this dealership like the plague.

Several family owned businesses in the area will treat you properly. Schaeffer's Harley Davidson will stand behind every product that goes out their door. They are in Orwigsburg, PA.

Picture is from 2010. >1,000 miles, never ridden in the rain, only 6 months old.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: From V-Twin lover to CVO Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »

Excuse me if I sound a bit confused...is that the only problem with the bike and is the poor treatment at the dealership the big issue :nixweiss:

Having that shift lever replaced is not a big deal.....

04se103

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

I am on a crusade. A decade ago, I couldn't have been a happier Harley owner. Starting with a Fat Boy, I went to a Road King Classic. The the model I swore I wouldn't get. The Ultra Classic. Luggage space, tunes, CB radio, comfort. 35,000 miles passed quickly, right in time for a 100th anniversary for the ride to the Milwaukee celebration.  A few points off for Elton John. But the pleasure of a dealer willing to put other jobs aside so you could get your 1000mi service in before metal bits started chewing up your engine.

All this led to the impulsive purchase of a 2010 FLHTCUSE5. I now had a garage, so my motorcycle had protection. Although, living outside for 6 years, the 2003 held up admirably..

So, I am obviously not your 1%er. I have no wife or children, and the lack of tuition or alimony allows me to indulge in expensive toys.

But if you read on in other posts, the 2010 may be the last of my Harleys, and rather than be a shining example of American manufacturing, it will be a rolling billboard explaining Harley's arbitrary policies and the depths to which a dealer can sink, as they cower in fear of the almighty Harley god.

Little did they realize that the American public is not so stupid. The quarter million dollar business man wants to be the tough Harley guy, but not at the expense of sitting in a puddle of oil in the middle of BFE.

In closing: The motorcycle was purchased at Crossroads Harley Davidson in Allentown, PA from the Sales Manager, Dave Lang. They are only interested in their profit. Wise consumers will avoid this dealership like the plague.

Several family owned businesses in the area will treat you properly. Schaeffer's Harley Davidson will stand behind every product that goes out their door. They are in Orwigsburg, PA.

Picture is from 2010. >1,000 miles, never ridden in the rain, only 6 months old.

Jasel I moved your Thread to get more responce The New Member Board is for Introducing yourself to the site when you can start a thread and Introduce yourself ThanksNew Member Introduction

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »

Excuse me if I sound a bit confused...is that the only problem with the bike and is the poor treatment at the dealership the big issue :nixweiss:

I agree if the dealer is the issue go to another dealer that somone you know frequents, they will give you a shifter to earn your business if they are a good dealer.  Don't give up because of a poor dealer.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »

Hi Jasel,

you must have too much time if you'r tempted to waist it in a futile crusade - instead of riding & having fun ;)

But beeing blessed with neither wife nor children may explain that  ;D

If you got a poorly chromed part have it exchanged. Such things happen. If one dealer isn't cooperative take the next.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »

:o You obviously got a bad shift lever, but I'd say you got a good 110 if it was able to blow the chrome off it like that before the crank sissored. :D 
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »

:o You obviously got a bad shift lever, but I'd say you got a good 110 if it was able to blow the chrome off it like that before the crank sissored. :D 

:ROFLOL:

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50:11 PM »

Bad chrome job for sure, that looks like the heel shift lever which IMO takes up to much room on the floorboard anyway. I took mine off and tossed it in a box of parts after the first ride. Hard to believe that ANY dealer would not be happy to replace that part. Just sayin...
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »

:huepfenjump3:  :huepfenjump3:  :huepfenjump3:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »

Leave it to Dave.  That's some funny chit right there!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Agree.  Some of the chrome accessories on these don't seem to hold up too well (I've had a front wheel, all 4 floorboards and transmission top cover replaced on my SEEG).  But you could have put those same shifter levers on your '03 and had the same exact thing happen.  Only at least with the SE you have a warranty.

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »

"Little did they realize that the American public is not so stupid. The quarter million dollar business man wants to be the tough Harley guy, but not at the expense of sitting in a puddle of oil in the middle of BFE."
      How much oil does a shifter hold?
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »

"Little did they realize that the American public is not so stupid. The quarter million dollar business man wants to be the tough Harley guy, but not at the expense of sitting in a puddle of oil in the middle of BFE."
      How much oil does a shifter hold?

Now that's even funnier. :huepfenlol2:

It does seem as though he left a part of the story out. :nixweiss:

As for peeling chrome............Harley has had that problem from time to time since the early 70s that I now of.  That problem got way out of hand on the 04 SEEGs but they did replace it all under warranty for all of us here. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »

I am patiently awaiting the rest of the story. Warranty will certainly replace the shifter. At least its not over heating and weeping oil.
That just happened

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »

If they cant do chrome, what is all tarnation makes them think they can do powdercoat?  It is the same quality issue since for ever... >:(

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »

Shift arm: reason to stay away from the dealer.
110 engine: reason to stay away from the MoCo.

If your only problem is the first one, there isn't much to talk about.  They obviously would not elevate something like that to even the district rep level, so it's your dealer that is screwing you.  If it's the second, and you have in fact been "by the side of the road in a pool of oil", then go ahead and rant - I'll listen.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.