Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: 30T and HAPPY!  (Read 103764 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »

not trying to high jack, but I have done this on the 09 SERG and love the gear. What I hate is the belt. you need to use an aftrmarket belt and I'm on my second one in 4,000 miles. And I will add that I am very easy on the bike. Here is my question; does anyone know of a rear belt gear that is the same as stock for my road glide but is a little wider? If I could find something that was 1 1/8" wide as opposed to the stock 1" then harley makes a stock belt that would work. Any ideas??

Mike

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »

I take it you have the 30t?

Check out the stock Tri glide belt- It is wider and has a wider 30 t stock pulley.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »

I take it you have the 30t?

Check out the stock Tri glide belt- It is wider and has a wider 30 t stock pulley.
The rear pully is the one I want to be wider!

Mike

remington007

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »

Does anyone know for sure if the 31 tooth sprocket can be used with the stock belt on a 2009 bagger??? Thanks

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »

Does anyone know for sure if the 31 tooth sprocket can be used with the stock belt on a 2009 bagger??? Thanks

Apparently it can as long as the axle can be adjusted slightly rearwards.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2011, 12:18:31 PM »

Haven't done mine yet, but when I asked Steve George about the speedo reprogam with 30T and TTS, he said to ad 50 points to the recalculated value to get a good base. Then check it with a good GPS for accuracy. FWIW

I missed this.....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »

Just placed my order with Jon Horton at Horny Toad HD in Texas (member on roadglide.org forum, comes highly recommended).

$390.18 including shipping to Buffalo NY for an Andrews 31T pulley, SE Compensator, and all the required HD bolts and gaskets  :2vrolijk_21:

I'll post a review in a couple weeks once I get the work done.

I'll likely post this question as a new thread if I don't get an answer here, but can anyone point me in the direction of where in the TTS documents I find how to correct the speedo? I have whatever manuals that came on the CD with the TTS, but I don't see it anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:59:23 PM by North Star »
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

not trying to high jack, but I have done this on the 09 SERG and love the gear. What I hate is the belt. you need to use an aftrmarket belt and I'm on my second one in 4,000 miles. And I will add that I am very easy on the bike. Here is my question; does anyone know of a rear belt gear that is the same as stock for my road glide but is a little wider? If I could find something that was 1 1/8" wide as opposed to the stock 1" then harley makes a stock belt that would work. Any ideas??

Mike
:nixweiss:
I don't think Harley makes belts.  Those belts are manufactored by Gates or some other company.  What ever company that is also provides other belts too to enable getting a minus 1 toother for your application.  I recently did mine and used the Drag Specialties belt and never paid attention to just what company made it.......guess I will do so if I encounter broken belts as you have.

Bottom line is you should be able to find a belt every bit as strong and durable as the HD one........cause they DONT make it, someone else does. :drink:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »

Just placed my order with Jon Horton at Horny Toad HD in Texas (member on roadglide.org forum, comes highly recommended).

$390.18 including shipping to Buffalo NY for an Andrews 31T pulley, SE Compensator, and all the required HD bolts and gaskets  :2vrolijk_21:

I'll post a review in a couple weeks once I get the work done.

I'll likely post this question as a new thread if I don't get an answer here, but can anyone point me in the direction of where in the TTS documents I find how to correct the speedo? I have whatever manuals that came on the CD with the TTS, but I don't see it anywhere.
:-\ After all the discussion,  I find myself amused that you finally opted for a 31T swap that is gonna give you a mere 3% gain.  (which for most folks would be hard to recognize the difference).  Here is hoping you enjoy it and don't regret not going to the 30T and a 6% gain that most of us have found to be recognizable and a welcome change to the stock gearing. :confused5:

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »

:-\ After all the discussion,  I find myself amused that you finally opted for a 31T swap that is gonna give you a mere 3% gain.  (which for most folks would be hard to recognize the difference).  Here is hoping you enjoy it and don't regret not going to the 30T and a 6% gain that most of us have found to be recognizable and a welcome change to the stock gearing. :confused5:

Do you know personally that it doesn't make a noticable difference? The only one I know of that has a 2009+ and has ran both the 30T and 31T is Steve George. He seemed to switch to the 30T because he wanted more- he never said he switched because he never felt a difference. I tried phoning him to hear his thoughts on this, but we played phone tag and I never bothered after that.

Why would Andrews and Baker spend all the time and money manufacturing a 31T if nobody wanted it?

In any case, I made my decision based on the reasons in Post #162. As long as it helps the tall first gear issue, and makes it better in stop and go traffic, I'll be happy. Like I said, the 6th gear thing isn't as much of an issue with me, and I'm mainly doing this for the SE compensator.

I could end up liking it, I could end up regretting it-who knows. Guess I'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:44:28 AM by North Star »
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

Half_Crazy

« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »

I guess it would be more accurate to say shift points come 200 rpm sooner at the same speeds as now....whatever.

Ummm.... no. 3000 RPM is 3000 RPM...

Lets say that the bike used to hit the 6000 RPM rev limiter at:
40 MPH in 1st
70 MPH in 2nd
90 MPH in 3rd

After the gearing change, it would hit the 6000 RPM rev limiter at:
37 MPH in 1st
65 MPH in 2nd
83 mph in 3rd

Now if you raised the rev limit to 6390 RPM, you'd be right back where you were.

The gears go by quicker. Not not because RPMs come faster, but because the shorter gearing gives you more RPM at a lower road speed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:54:50 AM by Half_Crazy »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2011, 08:44:01 AM »

:nixweiss:
I don't think Harley makes belts.  Those belts are manufactored by Gates or some other company.  What ever company that is also provides other belts too to enable getting a minus 1 toother for your application.  I recently did mine and used the Drag Specialties belt and never paid attention to just what company made it.......guess I will do so if I encounter broken belts as you have.

Bottom line is you should be able to find a belt every bit as strong and durable as the HD one........cause they DONT make it, someone else does. :drink:
Well I'm not sure who makes the belts for Harley and I don't really care but they do own the patent on the belt composition and it appears to be a stronger belt. that being said I hope I have better fortune with this belt.

Mike

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »

why not another 20 ftlb of torque and the 30th pulley?  how about getting both? then smile

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »

You can run the 31T with the stock belt, but you are maxed out on adjustment. If your belt has stretched in the slightest, it
will be loose. I ran one this way for a short while but was uncomfortable with the play.

Just my .02. Any drop in gearing, 30 or 31 is very noticeable and a step in the right direction if you have any interest in performance.

SG
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:21:17 PM by Fullsac Perf »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »

You can run the 31T with the stock belt, but you are maxed out on adjustment. If your belt has stretched in the slightest, it
will be loose. I ran one this way for a short while but was uncomfortable with the play.

Just my .02. Any drop in gearing, 31 or 32 is very noticeable and a step in the right direction if you have any interest in performance.

SG

Steve- If there is room for the axle to be adjusted 3.2mm back (according to Andrews), it should allow a sufficient range of belt adjustment, right?

I assume you meant that a 30 or 31T change is very noticable on a 2009+ (not 31 or 32). I'm glad to finally hear someone who has actually had both, supports the conclusion I came to after researching this, so hopefully the 31T will give me what I feel is right for me.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:43:56 AM by North Star »
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.