Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: 30T and HAPPY!  (Read 104047 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

I picked up an Andrews 30T and belt from Fullsac from Rob May.  I've not yet put it on, but now with all the belt breakage, I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I have a Fullsac 2" with TTS on my '09 SERG and it runs great, except for the 1st gear parking lot issues.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried, in any application other than a stock Harley, an idler tensioner to take up the extra slack with a smaller diameter drive sprocket.

I've seen on customs where they don't have a sliding rear axle, they use a precision bearing flat idler pulley on the slack side (bottom) for their adjustments.

Here at work I have access to a CNC turning center along with our Omax water jet.  I can make up just about anything I need.  I'm just wondering that if we were to use the 30T drive sprocket and an adjustable flat idler pulley about at the swing arm pivot point, if that wouldn't allow us good support of the original stock belt.

Any thoughts on this as an option?

I know someone said that Harley owns the composition on their belts to make it different or stronger than anything else available.  This is not unlike Chrysler having Prestone make their antifreeze.  Even through it's made by Prestone, it's not Prestone by any means.  While working at a Prestone plant in Alsip IL a few years ago, the plant engineer told me that the Chrysler was in his opinion a better blend than their own Prestone antifreeze.

Sorry to ramble on, back to the idler and too long rear belt.  What does everyone think about making up an idler and maintaining the original belt?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »

I picked up an Andrews 30T and belt from Fullsac from Rob May.  I've not yet put it on, but now with all the belt breakage, I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I have a Fullsac 2" with TTS on my '09 SERG and it runs great, except for the 1st gear parking lot issues.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried, in any application other than a stock Harley, an idler tensioner to take up the extra slack with a smaller diameter drive sprocket.

I've seen on customs where they don't have a sliding rear axle, they use a precision bearing flat idler pulley on the slack side (bottom) for their adjustments.

Here at work I have access to a CNC turning center along with our Omax water jet.  I can make up just about anything I need.  I'm just wondering that if we were to use the 30T drive sprocket and an adjustable flat idler pulley about at the swing arm pivot point, if that wouldn't allow us good support of the original stock belt.

Any thoughts on this as an option?

I know someone said that Harley owns the composition on their belts to make it different or stronger than anything else available.  This is not unlike Chrysler having Prestone make their antifreeze.  Even through it's made by Prestone, it's not Prestone by any means.  While working at a Prestone plant in Alsip IL a few years ago, the plant engineer told me that the Chrysler was in his opinion a better blend than their own Prestone antifreeze.

Sorry to ramble on, back to the idler and too long rear belt.  What does everyone think about making up an idler and maintaining the original belt?
Thats a great idea! I have a 2009 Buell Lightning collecting dust in the corner. I think I will take a look at the idler.

Thanks Dan!

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

fatboybern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »

dunno think i would try getting the 1 1/8 belt to either fit cause it is offerd by harley or cut 1/8 of an inch off the belt before running an idler but i am anal on that chit im just happy with clean unclutterd stuff an idler would bug me but would be effective

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »

dunno think i would try getting the 1 1/8 belt to either fit cause it is offerd by harley or cut 1/8 of an inch off the belt before running an idler but i am anal on that chit im just happy with clean unclutterd stuff an idler would bug me but would be effective

My choice would be a belt without an idler also.  But..... I'm just saying with all the hoopla about breaking belts, other than Harley OEM belts, an idler may allow for the drop in ratio while still maintaining the confidence in the OEM belt.

Steve, do you have a picture of the Buell idler pulley assembly?

The only major load on the idler will be in downshifting, using the motor for braking etc.  Normal hard throttle take offs will still be in the original straight upper belt pull, nothing new there.

I have not even looked at my swingarm to see what realestate is available, but I'm sure with the new larger construction of the swingarm, a few 5/16" tapped holes would not weaken it in any way.

Any more thoughts on this as a possible option? 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

Way back in 08 I attempted to machine wider the 09 rear pulley to accept the 1 1/8 belt and scrapped it. Im not a great machinist.
Might have done better with a porting tool. It would be possible to splice a 1 1/8 outer shell onto the 09 center. I was about to head that direction before I found the atermarket 136 belt. The reports of belt breakage are a huge concern to me. I personally have only shredded one And have to take full credit for the failure. The belt had previously been soaked in oil and I dropped the clutch attempting a wheel stand with the girlfriend on the back. It did not snap as others have reported, I just stripped off about ten teeth. Results were the same, I was parked and embarrassed. I have done countless wheelies and burn out with the new belt and never had a concern until others started having issues. I'm getting ready to leave on a ten day trip to Montanna, Bear Tooth Rally. Will I be doing burnout and wheelies, hell no! Point is, I never want to leave home with out complete confidence in my machine. I want to get on my bike and ride it like I stole it across three states and back home again with out concern. What could be cooler than wheelying across the Bear Tooth Pass? Maybe i'll just ride over this year. I'm going to work on finding another drive belt option for those of us who like to tear up the tires.

SG
Fullsac Performance

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:46:25 PM by Fullsac Perf »

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

So numbers aside, do you like the mod, or do you feel that it is revving too high at highway speeds? As you can see, I'm debating between 30T and 31T, what are your thoughts?

Just to keep it easy to find a belt the same day I broke down , assuming I could use the stock HD belt.
I would have put in a 31t instead of the 30t pulley . I broke the aftermarket belt in NY and I took 2days to get back on the road.

That said , the next time I tear into the bike I`ll replace the 30t with a 31t if the stock belt will fit.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »

Just to keep it easy to find a belt the same day I broke down , assuming I could use the stock HD belt.
I would have put in a 31t instead of the 30t pulley . I broke the aftermarket belt in NY and I took 2days to get back on the road.

That said , the next time I tear into the bike I`ll replace the 30t with a 31t if the stock belt will fit.

Aside from the belt breaking, how do you like the 30T?  Does it give you the ability to let out the clutch in a parking lot and still not be going 20 mph?

I ride mainly 2-up and I'm getting ready to install my 30T, but I'm really thinking of making an idler pulley for the extra length I'll have left over.  Steve mentioned the Buell he has and I've been doing some research on the Buell parts as well as their 1125 cc Buell.  They all use the idler and I'm thinking that's what I might try to retro under my swingarm.

If it works out well, it might be an opportunity to easily do the 30T and still maintain the stock drive belt.  At least if it were to break then, it would be replaced with an in stock original HD belt and not an aftermarket belt.

I'll keep you all in the loop as this moves forward.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »

Aside from the belt breaking, how do you like the 30T?  Does it give you the ability to let out the clutch in a parking lot and still not be going 20mph.

I love it. Really jumps out of the curves now.
I can also idle down my gravel drive now.

fatboybern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »

man dont no who you are or were you are from but i copied your pic of your bike pulling that sick wheelie and thats awsome and now is my goal to as i have the same bike  with a se 110 just wondering what you have done to yours to get it to pull up like that i can get my frnt wheel up at least 10" or so i have the belt pulley and comp sprkt to go on and went with the drag specialty belt just waiting for time to put her together but after hearing all the breakage issues i think ill wait till after my 3000km trip

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »

I installed the 30T set up last winter.  I had 41,500 miles on the stock belt and it looked fine.  I was pretty darn aggressive with the bike with the original belt and sprocket for a period of time.  Tonight, I went for a ride with my wife to tune up the Bitubo's.  Well the belt just shredded and I was taking it easy and have been since I installed the kit.  I really enjoyed the change the gearing did for the bike, it was everything Steve and others had reported.  I also installed the SE compensator and a heavy duty clutch while I was in there.  I have only put 3,000 miles on this belt, and like I said, no burn outs, wheelies, etc.  It accelerates much better than it ever did so I was pretty pleased with the performance increase.  Since I have such high mileage, I decided to take it easy and get through the summer without pushing it.  What do guys with the 117's and the 120's use?  I used the Drag Specialities which I believe was a Falcon.  Does Harley make a better belt?   Sure need some advise as I don't want to go through this again.  We had a long walk in hot weather to get to the truck & trailer which led to some impressive blisters on each foot.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »

RayG, I can feel your pain with the broken, that's why I'm taking a second look at the belt breaking issues.

I'm not sure what the issue is, weaker belt than the stock Harley, but just having the 30T belt should not be that much harder on them than the stock pulley.

I have an aftermarket new belt in the 139T length and I'm not going to jump at putting the 30T and aftermarket belt on.  I'm going to see what I have to do to have the Buell idler adapted to my rear swingarm.  I need to get my garage cleaned up and then get the bike up on the main lift and do some investigating on how to fit it in.

I'm thinking the stock belt with the 30T will be a big hit my sense of security on trips etc.

Again, I don't have a plan yet, but hope to shortly.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »

I installed the 30T set up last winter.  I had 41,500 miles on the stock belt and it looked fine.  I was pretty darn aggressive with the bike with the original belt and sprocket for a period of time.  Tonight, I went for a ride with my wife to tune up the Bitubo's.  Well the belt just shredded and I was taking it easy and have been since I installed the kit.  I really enjoyed the change the gearing did for the bike, it was everything Steve and others had reported.  I also installed the SE compensator and a heavy duty clutch while I was in there.  I have only put 3,000 miles on this belt, and like I said, no burn outs, wheelies, etc.  It accelerates much better than it ever did so I was pretty pleased with the performance increase.  Since I have such high mileage, I decided to take it easy and get through the summer without pushing it.  What do guys with the 117's and the 120's use?  I used the Drag Specialities which I believe was a Falcon.  Does Harley make a better belt?   Sure need some advise as I don't want to go through this again.  We had a long walk in hot weather to get to the truck & trailer which led to some impressive blisters on each foot.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Ray

Can you positively ID the manufacture of the broken belt for us.

Thanks,

Steve

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »

Mine was a Falcon (sp), and it just snapped ridding down the road. no wheelies, no burnouts after 5,000 miles.

Mike

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »

The box the belt came in was from DRAG, it had the following on the label Part #1204-0056 Vendor #BDLSPCB-135-1 BELT REAR DRV 1" 135T.  

The belt itself has the following info printed on it, Falcon SPC" (Belt Drivers LTD, in very small print)  BDL SPC - 135 - 1 530350912 16010 028 MADE IN USA.  I just compared both belts, the OEM and the Falcon and I don't see much difference on the belly side, the grip section is identical under a large magnifying glass.  The OEM belt has a ribbed section on the outer side while the Falcon has a polished sandpaper finish.  If I was a betting man I would go with the gluing or bonding process as my Falcon looks like it delaminated and is splitting in two.  I hope this helps,  there must be a better belt.  

The sprocket is an Andrews Part # 1201-0227.

I guess I'll wait until I receive info on a better belt or go back to the poor setup I had.  With the early 08's it's not just the gearing its the FBW and the throttle lag that makes slow speed driving a pain.  I have tried the SERT, SEPST, and the new Rev Perf product without solving the issue.  So again this belt did not snap, it had the nubs ripped right off at the glue line.  I used to make custom longbows and recurves for a living so I'm know a little about proper glue lines & bonding products to avoid delaminating.

Wife has the camera, I'll try to post a photo tonight.

Ray G.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »

The box the belt came in was from DRAG, it had the following on the label Part #1204-0056 Vendor #BDLSPCB-135-1 BELT REAR DRV 1" 135T.  

The belt itself has the following info printed on it, Falcon SPC" (Belt Drivers LTD, in very small print)  BDL SPC - 135 - 1 530350912 16010 028 MADE IN USA.  I just compared both belts, the OEM and the Falcon and I don't see much difference on the belly side, the grip section is identical under a large magnifying glass.  The OEM belt has a ribbed section on the outer side while the Falcon has a polished sandpaper finish.  If I was a betting man I would go with the gluing or bonding process as my Falcon looks like it delaminated and is splitting in two.  I hope this helps,  there must be a better belt.  

The sprocket is an Andrews Part # 1201-0227.

I guess I'll wait until I receive info on a better belt or go back to the poor setup I had.  With the early 08's it's not just the gearing its the FBW and the throttle lag that makes slow speed driving a pain.  I have tried the SERT, SEPST, and the new Rev Perf product without solving the issue.  So again this belt did not snap, it had the nubs ripped right off at the glue line.  I used to make custom longbows and recurves for a living so I'm know a little about proper glue lines & bonding products to avoid delaminating.

Wife has the camera, I'll try to post a photo tonight.

Ray G.

You have an 08!  Sure it wasn't a 136T? Get ready to be happy, your belt search is over. Harley makes an OEM Sportster belt in a 136T, 1" wide.
 I ran one on my 07 and beat the absolute crap out of it for over 10K miles. Please don't ask me the year or Part number.

Thanks for info Ray!

Steve
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 25 queries.