Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: 30T and HAPPY!  (Read 103768 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Re: 30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

Well this sucks- bikes in the shop now and I'm being told it needs a 139T belt (for a 31T pulley). I gambled that the stock belt would work, but apparently there isn't room to move the axle back.

I could have them order the 139T belt, but they are only able to order the Drag Specialties belt for $240.00 (Cdn pricing- that's why I buy all my stuff stateside) which they think is made by Gates, but I would want the Gates Poly that goes for $140.00 on line. I should have pre-ordered the Gates when I ordered all the other parts, just in case of this very situation, but I didn't.

Money aside, since I'm going on a long trip in 10 days and after hearing all the belt breaking stories, I guess I'm not gonna bother with this mod- I told the shop to just install the SE compensator and thats it. I wish all of us here could have figured out what the belt breaking issue was (brand, pulley size, etc), but since we haven't nailed it down to a problem with a particular brand of belt, I don't want to take the chance before my trip.

I guess I'll be putting up my Andrews 31T pulley up for sale soon.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »

:juggle:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »

Well this sucks- bikes in the shop now and I'm being told it needs a 139T belt (for a 31T pulley). I gambled that the stock belt would work, but apparently there isn't room to move the axle back.

I could have them order the 139T belt, but they are only able to order the Drag Specialties belt for $240.00 (Cdn pricing- that's why I buy all my stuff stateside) which they think is made by Gates, but I would want the Gates Poly that goes for $140.00 on line. I should have pre-ordered the Gates when I ordered all the other parts, just in case of this very situation, but I didn't.

Money aside, since I'm going on a long trip in 10 days and after hearing all the belt breaking stories, I guess I'm not gonna bother with this mod- I told the shop to just install the SE compensator and thats it. I wish all of us here could have figured out what the belt breaking issue was (brand, pulley size, etc), but since we haven't nailed it down to a problem with a particular brand of belt, I don't want to take the chance before my trip.

I guess I'll be putting up my Andrews 31T pulley up for sale soon.

When I did the 30T mod to my 07 Cuse, never had a problem. Don't know what that means, just throwing it out there.  :drink:

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »

Maybe that's because on the 07-08's, you guys used a different HD belt, no?

Not sure, but I'm referring to the last few pages in this thread where people mentioned they had aftermarket belts break on them.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »

Got my 30T and belt (Drag) from Fullsac.......
Got about 10k miles on it so far, pulling a trailer (450lbs) on a trip now (1900 miles so far)
No problems, no stretching, no adjustments, no noise. Bike pulls just fine with this change, up over the Cascades, long grades in 5th or 6th gears (depending on speeds)
I find that I can pull mountain grades in 6th, if I keep the revs above 2500.
JMHO.......this has been a good change for our load.
Never had a problem keeping freeway speeds without the trailer, I can take a blast up to 100......but, I don't ride that speed all day!
 8)
HOGMIKE

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »

I've got about 3500 miles on mine I got from Steve.. so far no issues... some stretch in the beginning, but no issues since. Mine is the Falcon belt (139?) for my 2009 SERG

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »

Ya, thats the thing with these forums- a few guys have a problem, and Im left with the feeling that everybody is going to have the same problem. Same thing with all the other issues guys have with their CVO's- sometimes makes us all feel like the sky is falling. lol. I may have been fine with an aftermarket belt, but like I said, I didnt want to chance it before my trip.... Should have waited till I came back before opening up the primary.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »

Ya, thats the thing with these forums- a few guys have a problem, and Im left with the feeling that everybody is going to have the same problem. Same thing with all the other issues guys have with their CVO's- sometimes makes us all feel like the sky is falling. lol. I may have been fine with an aftermarket belt, but like I said, I didnt want to chance it before my trip.... Should have waited till I came back before opening up the primary.

Very true... but it doesnt mean ALL of ours will fail.. its not like the 110s that WILL fail eventually!  :huepfenlol2:

speaking of that... I need to get away from my distraction and order my procharger... :)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »

well maybe going to chain drive is the answer then,

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »

:confused5:
Let me state again,  Harley does NOT make the belts that drive the rear wheel.   Gates or some other source makes them.  Those that have indeed experienced (broken belts) that are not genuine HD "stocks",  need to let us know what/how it happened.

If you're not trying to do wheelies with a 900+ pound Tour model or do something totally stupid like a "burn-out" at the local pub,  I would expect the belt to not be a source of problems regardless of the manufactorer.

This whole (belt break) potential,  has caused some like (North Star) to not enjoy the advantage he might have had if he had gone for the 30T trans sprocket...........Nope,  he opted for the 31T (in an attempt to try and maintain the "stock" belt) and it wouldn't work.  First of all,  as I and others said earlier in this post,  the 31T would NOT have been noticable and or really advantageous.

So,  I'm suggesting we need to get some specific feedback on broken (non-stock) belts..........What brand are they,  thus maybe we should avoid them.

meantime,  my 139T drag specialties belt (made by who I don't know) is working just fine.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »

Are the belts that are breaking due to some stretching then not getting them adjusted correctly then abusing the belt by doing a burn out or wheelie?
Supershooter

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

You can run the 31T with the stock belt, but you are maxed out on adjustment. If your belt has stretched in the slightest, it
will be loose. I ran one this way for a short while but was uncomfortable with the play.

Just my .02. Any drop in gearing, 30 or 31 is very noticeable and a step in the right direction if you have any interest in performance.
SG

No point in continuing to debate this with you moscooter, but I'll just throw in my last 2 cents- the ONLY guy I know of that has had both the 30 and 31 on an 09 +, quotes above that the measly 31T does make a noticable difference, despite your guessing it doesn't (it's a guess because you haven't actually ran the 31T, right?).
But maybe you find Steve "amusing" as well... ::)

I still say the SE comp and the 31T would be a nice mod for someone who doesn't want a much higher revving bike on the freeways- it just wasn't the right timing for me to go ahead with it. I'm not alone in that opinion, as I've already got 2 people that want to buy my 31T, and I haven't even advertised it yet.

After putting on a few miles, I find the SE compensator makes a nice improvement in shifting, and has actually gotten rid of the chugging and rattling in first gear, which is the biggest improvement IMO.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »

No point in continuing to debate this with you moscooter, but I'll just throw in my last 2 cents- the ONLY guy I know of that has had both the 30 and 31 on an 09 +, quotes above that the measly 31T does make a noticable difference, despite your guessing it doesn't (it's a guess because you haven't actually ran the 31T, right?).
But maybe you find Steve "amusing" as well... ::)

I still say the SE comp and the 31T would be a nice mod for someone who doesn't want a much higher revving bike on the freeways- it just wasn't the right timing for me to go ahead with it. I'm not alone in that opinion, as I've already got 2 people that want to buy my 31T, and I haven't even advertised it yet.

After putting on a few miles, I find the SE compensator makes a nice improvement in shifting, and has actually gotten rid of the chugging and rattling in first gear, which is the biggest improvement IMO.

FYI:
Steve CAN be amusing sometimes!!! But, only after he's done working!!!
 8)
Look up the word "work-a-holic" and you'll see his picture!
I'm happy that he's like that, instead of me!
JMHO
BTW: Did we see you in Laughlin last April??? If that was you, "hi" again 8)
HOGMIKE

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »

Well, i'm 1700 miles into my Redlodge Montana Beartooth rally trip. You guys really need to check this rally out. We did a 140 mile poker run on Friday and a 180 mile poker run over the 1100' Beartooth pass on Saturday! 10 foot snow banks in the pass wearing a Long sleeve shirt! Awesome riding though historic towns with Grizzly bear warning signs. Anyway, point being, no belt issues here. Even did a few burn outs. Hit 111 GPS this morning having a showdown with a BMW. It's possible a few may have got defective belts? The majority are not having issues. I'm 3000 miles in on this one, done countless wheelies and burnouts. Still going strong.

Steve George
Fullsac Performance

Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »

Well I'm not trying to be a profit of doom. But I take offense twosome members and there assessment of me stating my facts. I love my gear change 30t and works great for me. 95% is 2 up and 80mph is about all I care for most of the time. I'm not aware of but one belt for this regardless of where you buy it. I believe it's made by Falcon (sp).I don't know if it's a good or bad product. All I know is after 6000 miles of riding no wheelies no burnouts not speed shifting it broke. Left me and the wife on the side of the road and it took 5 days to get a belt because it was Friday. As far as all you arm chairs that have not done this mod you need to shut up the racket becaue you don't know what youre talking about. I know I now carry a spare belt just in case. Give it a rest just be prepared for the worst and pray it doesn't happen. It's not astock Harley belt and if it brakes you're going to wait to get it. Geez.....

Mike
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.