Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Help! Bike quit and wont start  (Read 19883 times)

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce ! My Wife's !
Re: Help! Bike quit and wont start
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »

I have another question for you guys if the crank position sensor is bad would it not kill the spark to the spark plugs. I assume that the sensor tells the ecm when to fire the plugs and also tells the injectors when to spray fuel am I correct in this assumption ? I don't want to buy a $54.00 sensor until I am sure that it is whats causing my problem in other words I dont want to start throwing parts at it.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »

A faulty CPS will throw a code. My wife's 04 still ran (poorly) when the CPS went on it.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »

Been on the phone this evening with Zippers (Randy real nice guy) he suggested I pull the ecm from the bike and send it to them and let them check it and my dyno guy suggested the same it has got them both scratching their heads after they asked me all of the standard questions related to the bike not wanting to start. They both told me that from what I said that I have already checked something is killing the signal to the injectors. 

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »

Does your bike have a TSM or a TSSM? A faulty or water impregnated TSSM can cause your symptoms. (Don't ask how I know this  :'( )

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »

(Turn signal security module) yes it does do you know if they are known to go out all of a sudden ? the bike was sitting in the garage running at idle and had been for 15-20 minutes when it quit

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »

Does your bike have a TSM or a TSSM? A faulty or water impregnated TSSM can cause your symptoms. (Don't ask how I know this  :'( )

Wouldn't it throw a code?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »

I have another question for you guys if the crank position sensor is bad would it not kill the spark to the spark plugs. I assume that the sensor tells the ecm when to fire the plugs and also tells the injectors when to spray fuel am I correct in this assumption ? I don't want to buy a $54.00 sensor until I am sure that it is whats causing my problem in other words I dont want to start throwing parts at it.

Correct if the CPS isn't working you shouldn't get gas or spark. The CPS doesn't usually throw a code, if not working the ECM just thinks the motor isn't turning over, so no gas or soark.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:49:55 AM by Talon »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »

Correct if the CPS isn't working you shouldn't get gas or spark. The CPS doesn't usually throw a code, if not working the ECM just thinks the motor isn't turning over, so no gas or soark.

Craig
I hate it when I get no soark  ;D  :D I think he said that he was getting soark but no gas. Does a non functional cps always cut gas and spark?
The TSSM Problem I was refering to just happened last Thurs. in Yellowstone and didn't throw any codes untill we screwed with it for a few hours. Turns out it was water logged from riding in the rain two days prior.(nice seal job HD). Most likely not Silver's problem, just thought I'd throw out another possibility.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »

I just plugged a buddys stock 05 EG ecm up on my bike just to see if by chance it would crank the bike (NO) it didn't doe's the same thing the T Max doe's would my TSSM keep his ecm from working on my bike ? do you guys think I should change the CPS just to see if by chance that is the problem. if the CPS is bad does it always kill the spark or not ?   

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »

I just plugged a buddys stock 05 EG ecm up on my bike just to see if by chance it would crank the bike (NO) it didn't doe's the same thing the T Max doe's would my TSSM keep his ecm from working on my bike ? do you guys think I should change the CPS just to see if by chance that is the problem. if the CPS is bad does it always kill the spark or not ?   
THe ECM and the TSSM have to be married together via a complicated process or using a program only available at your dealer. You can not just replace one or the other without doing this (as you have found out)

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »

Let me ask you guys another question if my buddys ecm should crank the bike but don't what would cause both of the ecm's not to crank the bike ? the CPS ? maybe the TSSM ? what do you think I'm open for suggestions

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »

Trapperdog you are correct in what you are saying and I did know this but I have and did use another buddys stock ecm off of a 03 SERK to cycle the fuel pump and check the elec system on my bike when I converted it over to EFI from carb once the injectors get primed and the ecm pulses them to open the engine will run until that small amount of fuel is burned 2 to 3 seconds that is why I tried the ecm from the 05 it did the same thing with the fuel pump but something somewhere is not letting the injectors pulse or open to shoot that first fuel into the intake. In my earlier post I said I can crank it with carb cleaner and it will run for that 2 to 3 seconds with it also. I know I have fuel to the injectors and I can make it run with the carb cleaner I have to figure out what has killed the injectors.   

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

Let me ask another question. this problem started after I installed a oil cooler on my bike is there anything else other than the CPS in the area of the voltage regulator that may cause the problem i'm having I had to remove the regulator for the install. keep in mind the bike ran for 15 to 20 minutes before it died.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »

I hate it when I get no soark  ;D  :D I think he said that he was getting soark but no gas. Does a non functional cps always cut gas and spark?
The TSSM Problem I was refering to just happened last Thurs. in Yellowstone and didn't throw any codes untill we screwed with it for a few hours. Turns out it was water logged from riding in the rain two days prior.(nice seal job HD). Most likely not Silver's problem, just thought I'd throw out another possibility.

In my experience with cars, trucks this has been the case, never had a bad one on the bikes. When the CPS isn't working the ECU doesn't know the motor is spinning over, so it doesn't provide spark or gas.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »

I have spark ! one of the first things I checked it will run with a shot of carb cleaner I went and picked up a new CPS to try I figured for $59.00 it is worth a shot and that will at least eliminate that part of the puzzle
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 21 queries.