Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics  (Read 28197 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 07:59:44 PM »

Got the speakers wired and had a nice ride and can report this project was well worth it in terms of improving the sound on the bike while riding.  It's not quite a "wall of sound" going down the road, but it's definitely a fuller sound and if I lean right or left while riding I can hear the fairing lower speaker on that side.

Since I had previously installed and removed the Hogtunes Fairing Lower Speaker Kit (FLSK), I'll offer a couple of observations.  With the FLSK installed with Hogtunes' amp driving the fairing lower speakers, and the Harman Kardon head unit in a four-channel configuration with fader control, the sound was excellent with the bike stationary, but I couldn't tell I had speakers in the fairing lowers when riding.  I subsequently removed the HT amp, installed the Arc 125.2, 250 watt, two-channel amp and wired the left fairing and fairing lower speakers in series for one channel, and wired the right side speakers as a second channel.  Again, the sound was excellent with the bike stationary, but couldn't tell that I had speakers in the fairing lowers when riding.  Consequently, if you consider adding speakers to the lowers, strongly consider doing so in a four-channel configuration with fader control of the fairing and fairng lower speakers, and use a stout amp to drive the speakers in the fairing lowers.

Carl
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:09:44 PM by Harleypingman »

cigar7

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC sapphire/silver
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »

Hmm... So are you summarizing it was worth all the effort/expense? because it sounds like it wasn't, and thats a shame. You executed the install well, it looks fantastic. I was thinking of doing the same thing for the same reason (pipes). Did you fade the lowers w/ more power and hear them better?
Bryan

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »

On my system I have the Hawg-wired 4 channel amp driving the four speakers. The HW amp has separate gain control for each channel so the output can be set higher for the lower speakers.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »

Note:  Subsequent to posting this and the previous posts, I've had the opportunity to adjust the gain control on the Arc 125.2 amp and the four speaker set-up now works much better and provides the "wall of sound."  it's so good that I've abandoned the notion of replacing the 2-channel amp with a 4-channel amp mentioned below.  If I was starting from scratch (i.e. no amp), I'd probably buy a 4-channel amp, but it's not required IMO.  Having the system wired with front/rear speakers (using the HK's "fader" control) is preferred IMO.

Cigar7, the project turned out really well; I'm very happy I did it.  The disappointments I describe had to do with the Hogtunes fairing lower speaker kit I'd previously installed that I couldn't hear with the HT amp when wired in a four-channel configuration (fader control) or two-channel configuration (no fader control) with the Arc amp while riding.

Yes, with the Arc amp driving the fairing lower speakers, and using the fader, the sound is much fuller (not quite the "wall of sound") and a significant enhancement to the fairing-only set-up.  If J&M or Arc make their planned 500 watt, four-channel amp, I'll replace the Arc 125.2 with that and have the amplified signal to the fairing speakers that I don't currently have, while retaining the stout 125 watts per channel in the lowers.  Jim's set-up with the Hawg-wired four-channel amp is the way to go if you accept HW's price point.  In the meantime, the current set-up is very satisfactory and major improvement.

Carl
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:29:09 AM by Harleypingman »

cigar7

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC sapphire/silver
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »

Oh, thanks for clarifying. Yes I did notice the peeps at Hawg-Wired are very proud of their product; but you get what you pay for. After all we did shell out the bucks for the s.e. 8).    I just joined today and that was my first post. Off topic question: I tried to upload my profile bike pic but noticed my pic is a red "x". That pic was taken w/ a 7MP cam. could it be the resolution is too large or do the profile pics have to be vetted before being displayed to prevent inappropriate pics on thread? This site is like a fountain of information; just what I was looking for. Its refreshing to see/share/learn from such a knowledgeable/ respectfull member base. Thanks to all. I'm hooked! 
Bryan

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »

Oh, thanks for clarifying. Yes I did notice the peeps at Hawg-Wired are very proud of their product; but you get what you pay for. After all we did shell out the bucks for the s.e. 8).    I just joined today and that was my first post. Off topic question: I tried to upload my profile bike pic but noticed my pic is a red "x". That pic was taken w/ a 7MP cam. could it be the resolution is too large or do the profile pics have to be vetted before being displayed to prevent inappropriate pics on thread? This site is like a fountain of information; just what I was looking for. Its refreshing to see/share/learn from such a knowledgeable/ respectfull member base. Thanks to all. I'm hooked!  

Welcome aboard!  Drop into the new member section and introduce yourself. For the profile picture see the"add or change your avatar"  in the faq section for instructions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:45:40 PM by hd-dude »

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 05:16:37 AM »

Jim or Carl, since I have a CVO would my amp be able to do it? Or would  I have to get another amp? I see everyone has non HD speakers, I put hogtunes in the fairing and in the rear. I didn't like the J&M in the fronts at all. I here allot about Hawgwire, but I guess you get what you pay for.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »

Jim or Carl, since I have a CVO would my amp be able to do it? Or would  I have to get another amp? I see everyone has non HD speakers, I put hogtunes in the fairing and in the rear. I didn't like the J&M in the fronts at all. I here allot about Hawgwire, but I guess you get what you pay for.

The factory Harmon Kardon amp (under the tourpack) is looking for a 2 ohm load. If you add another set of speakers to the front channel you would need to wire them in parallel and use 4 ohm speakers in the fairing and lowers. Most all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. Alternately you could add a 2 channel amp in the fairing to run the lower speakers. This would be ideal as you could set up the volume level on the lower speakers independently.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »

Jim, the added amp sound like a plan thanks.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »

I had the Hawg wired DX speakers in the lowers previously driven by the HW amp. These are a bit better fuller speaker but not a great improvement. I am anxiously awaiting HW's 6.25" speakers.

Good to see you guys are ahead of me on the beta test for this..thnx.

I have been looking in to this kind of upgrade for my winter list as my hawgwired amp needs to be sent in for repair and I wanted to build or modify my lowers to accept 6 1/2" subs while going to vented lowers. When I spoke to Hawgwired they said my non vented lowers offered better accustics while giving a larger cavity but that the sesg pannels will fit the 05 vented lowers and they were working on a 6 1/2 inch speaker for such.

I'm on the fence here and may just wait for hawgwired as I was initially was going to use the Kicker 10CVT654 marine grade sub, (more info can be found  here http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CVT654/Kicker-10CVT654.html?tp=972)

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »

This site and its people never cease to amaze me...Every time I think I'm about done w mods, Ya'll pull some chit like this. Back to the checkbook we go.

Awesome job, speakers look great...
:2vrolijk_21:

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »

Trey, I'm a "civilian" meaning I'm not in the motorcycle or audio business so I'm reluctant to offer any advice or suggestions beyond what I've done to my own bike.  About all I can do is read an instruction sheet, parts manual, and service manual, as well as the occasional, really simple tech document.  One link I found that was helpful in explaining impedance matching for amps and speakers was this one:  http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Jim's a pro, as is Tony at Iron Cross Audio.  I'm sure you'll come up with a killer combo with the fairing lower speakers. 

Carl

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »

Hey Carl, I'm the same way; thank God for tech manuals and school. That is a great site thanks; Jim gave me an option that I may go with.( a separate amp to push the lower speakers)

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »

Trey, I had helpful conversations with Jim and Tony; both are very generous in sharing their expertise.  It may take a week, but I'd strongly consider pulling the HK and sending it to Tony for installing pre-amp RCA connectors to avoid the distortion inherent in the HK's amp, and have the cleanest signal from the head unit to send to the amps.  IIRC, you've  been to ICA, so perhaps it's a good time for a return trip.

Looking forward to learning more about your project.

Carl

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »

Would anyone know the the stock lower fairing speakers 4 ohms or 2 ohms?

Trey

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.