Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Broken Handlebars!  (Read 5633 times)

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
Broken Handlebars!
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »

Hello all!

Handlebars suddenly snapped in two!..I managed to get it to a friends, and upon removal of the fairing outer, I discovered that the bars had fractured right in the middle, where the wires from the hand controls feed through, the weakest point on the bars...as that is where they are drilled for the wires to feed.

Has anyone ever experienced this?..is this a recall issue that I am not aware of?...is there any way of welding these bars safely? I would imagine that tacking it is only a temporary fix...and that the wires need to be pulled through the bars at any rate...as they would not withstand the heat from a "full weld"...if that indeed is a safe and reliable remedy in the first place..Bike is an '06 CVO Ultra...30k miles.

Help is much appreciated!

regards; Larry

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Broken Handlebars!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »

Have you ever trailered/transported your bike and used the handlebars to tie down/secure it?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »

Have you ever trailered/transported your bike and used the handlebars to tie down/secure it?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yeah, Gary, that's what I immediately thought about also.  I try to never trailer my bikes - much prefer to ride them!  But when I do I never use the handlebar but put a soft tie around the fork just above the brake caliper and use that as a tie down point.  Never had any problem doing that.

I know when I changed my oem bars to WO 575s it was recommended to put the solid 1-piece clamp on the bars vs the oem u-clamps since the 1-piece would give more support in the center where the weakest point is.  Don't know about the newer bikes but imo the moco should use the 1-piece clamp on all the CVOs.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »

no gentlemen, I ride the bike everywhere and have never trailered it. Besides, I cannot imagine the very center of the bars failing even with tie downs on the bars....I can envision the "bend" at the bottom being stressed by that method...but the center?...there is no pressure in that spot...with two handlebar clamps, three inches apart holding the bars down.

Baffling, to say the least!...spoke to a few of my bud's who have been riding for 30 plus years...no one has ever heard of failure of a handlebar in this area....All I can point to...is vibration?

Should Harely recognize something like this?...it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, to me.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »

make the best of the situation and put on a set of bars that fit you better.....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mud man

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 silver
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »

yup what he said :biggthumpup:
it ain't about getting to the grave in a perfectly preserved body it's about sliding in sideways saying  WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »

The center of those bars are a weak spot and I've heard of them breaking before. As for a tech bulletin or recall I haven't heard of one. :nixweiss: You could try contacting your dealer or MoCo customer service but like was mentioned in previous posts fix them with better quality bars and some that may fit you better and don't look back.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »

Tbone, on bars with two piece clamps that is the failure point.  Even though not a common failure that is the spot where its most likely to happen.  Can be brought on by stressing the bars by tie down from bars and pulling tight.  But have seen bars break in the middle before on bikes that had never been trailered.  Can think of two have seen this happen too in a lifetime's riding.  Maybe a third but it was a bike that had been trailered some and I always suspected had been tied down hard at the bars.

You can make it a bit stronger by putting a one piece clamp over the top of the bars when you go back together with it.  Worn out handlebar bushings can also lead to extra/excessive vibration on the bars that might make worse some small crack or manufacturing imperfection.  So it's worth checking closely or just replacing the bushings while you're in there. 

Glad this didn't happen going down the road.  Each hand and the front wheel all with the sudden ability to go entirely different directions from each other is high on the pucker factor inducement scale.

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »

thanks to all for your comments!

best regards;

Larry

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »

The 575 bars seem to be much heavier and more sturdy, especially in the middle where the wires pass through. I almost could not believe how light and crappy the stock handle bars are.   Like something off a cheap bicycle.  I went for the one piece clamp from HD and it is so much better. That's a much better way to go. Not a fun feeeling riding around knowing that your bars are cracked.  :'(

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »

I recall an issue a few years back with Dynas breaking bars.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »

Two questions:

Can anyone provide me with a part number for the 575 bars?...A local dealer near Toronto seems to have no idea what these are..has not ever heard of "575" bars.

2) the screws with the shorter heads that hold down the bar clamps...is this the cause of the CD skip....

Is it also the cause of the Harmon Kardon stereo's sound cutting out...or alternatively, speakers working only on one side? (due to stereo mount hitting the heads on the bolt?).....I read somewhere that the circuit board can develop hairline fractures..which cause the sound to cut out or only operate on one side when the stereo warms up....as is the case with mine...been cutting in and out for about a month now.

Help please!...and thank you!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:21:50 PM by T bone »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »

Back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't uncommon to hear about broken handlebars and they nearly always broke right in the middle.  I was riding my Heritage back in 86 and it happened to me.  That's when I learned to use the one piece riser cap.......it helps to keep the bars from flexing in the center.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »

Two questions:

Can anyone provide me with a part number for the 575 bars?...A local dealer near Toronto seems to have no idea what these are..has not ever heard of "575" bars.

2) the screws with the shorter heads that hold down the bar clamps...is this the cause of the CD skip....
Is it also the cause of the Harmon Kardon stereo's sound cutting out...or alternatively, speakers working only on one side? (due to stereo mount hitting the heads on the bolt?).....I read somewhere that the circuit board can develop hairline fractures..which cause the sound to cut out or only operate on one side when the stereo warms up....as is the case with mine...been cutting in and out for about a month now.

Help please!...and thank you!

There is a bulletin out from H-D about the bolts contacting the radio chassis on the H-K radios which can lead to CD skipping (and probably other vibration induced problems as well).  I don't have a copy of that one (I think it was a Tech Tip ?), perhaps someone else can dig it out and post it for you.

There is a widespread issue with H-K radio's in general concerning circuit board cracks due to design issues (probably related to a home stereo company trying to make a radio for a motorcycle at a cheap price).  Iron Cross has a fix that isn't necessarily cheap, but they guarantee it unlike H-D and H-K.  Check them out, they are a member on this site.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »

Thanks Jerry...you wouldn't happen to know who makes the 575 bars...and what part number they are?....the harley dealer up here...has never heard of them, surprisingly!

many thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 25 queries.