Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Best aftermarket lifters?  (Read 29761 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Best aftermarket lifters?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »

If you just want a better lifter, and not necessarily a "racing" part, why not try a set of the lifters that came with the early Twin Cams, before Harley switched to the cheaper Delphi/GM stuff they use now?  For years engine builders in the know recommended just sticking with the stock lifters versus all the hype infused overpriced stuff.  That isn't true anymore with the cheapened stock parts, but I understand you can still buy the original design lifters from a company called AMS.  And the price isn't much different than what you pay for a set of current stock lifters.

Jerry

That is where I got mine
http://www.automotivemachine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=53

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »

Best, Wood

Fine for most builds:
Stock
S&S

Don't waste your money on them:
Feuling
AMS

Don't buy:
SE / Jims

Herko

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »

One of the best we've seen, is the new Wood directional roller lifter. :)
Scott

Agreed. Many fundamental reasons this is so.
Also, they were designed and built from the ground up with the Twin Cam in mind.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »

Seems like we need to change out lifters about every 20k as a lot of them seem to let go about 20-25k. Have four riding buddies that all had failures at 25k area this summer. One guy thought he better check his before leaving on a trip and was glad he did one was going bad at 23k prolly would have left him on the side of the road. I know it shouldn't be like this but seems lately a lot of lifter failures and not just one brand.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »

What "lets go"?
Ever take one apart?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »

I did take out the ones in my Jim's 131 but they were HD not Jim's. And watched as my friend took his out just to see and the ones I have seen had sticky wheels, wobble wheeels and one that had worn down where it looks like it has thin shoulders on both sides, Those were S&S in a 100ci S&S motor.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »

The 131 OK that would be a candidate for the Wood lifters.
The other motor is an EVO and that starts a whole new thread.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »

I did notice just as I was told the Jim's lifters are a bit noisy. I think I will run them for a while then change out later. I know the S&S Motor is an Evo, and a couple of others that had problems were Evo's also, all were close friends. Anyway are the Woods lifters quiet? And would there be any other advantage to them?

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »

The reason for them recommending the adjustable pushrods has to do with the nonstandard amount of preload.  Normally, the pushrod length should be such that the piston in the lifter is centered (.100" of the .200" total travel).  The Wood folks recommend adjusting the pushrod to .120"-.130".  I've seen other people recommend adjusting for as much as .150".

Considering all the various factors, a one piece (nonadjustable) pushrod like what you already have is superior.  Lighter, less likely to suffer failure, etc.

If you just want a better lifter, and not necessarily a "racing" part, why not try a set of the lifters that came with the early Twin Cams, before Harley switched to the cheaper Delphi/GM stuff they use now?  For years engine builders in the know recommended just sticking with the stock lifters versus all the hype infused overpriced stuff.  That isn't true anymore with the cheapened stock parts, but I understand you can still buy the original design lifters from a company called AMS.  And the price isn't much different than what you pay for a set of current stock lifters.

BTW, the part of the lifter that fails and wipes out engines is the roller.  I'd be more inclined to look for the best design in terms of the roller, roller axle, and bearing than any "supposed" performance advantage hyped by all these companies.  The infamous failures with Jims and SE lifters were caused by the rollers, just like the ones we hear about these days with the Harley -B lifters. 

Jerry

The Wood lifters want .120"-.130" to be set per them, and .140-.150" for OE lifters.
The Wood lifters are manufactured by folks that supply valvetrain products to www.jesel.com. :)
Scott

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »

Rooster,

FWIW, I wouldnt wait, when I get back from my trip I am I will send you some pictures of how the Jim's lifters ruined a cam by sliding instead of rolling and got so hot they blued the cam lobe and etched it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »

Rooster,

FWIW, I wouldnt wait, when I get back from my trip I am I will send you some pictures of how the Jim's lifters ruined a cam by sliding instead of rolling and got so hot they blued the cam lobe and etched it.

what model jims lifter was that? they have a few different models:powerglide; powerglide 2,ect. I've heard good things about the powerglide 2 lifters

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »

I don't know which ones I have as my motor was just rebuilt by Jim's couple of months ago. :nixweiss:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »

Power Glide 2
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »

Are not the Power Glide 2 Lifters the same ones as SE Lifters?

In my Jims 120 which was in my 03 Pseudo SE Road Glide, it was the lifters that grenaded the engine. Yes, Jims at that time replaced the engine.

geezerglide

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »

Power Glide 2

I assume these are different lifters from the new "Directional roller" lifters that were just recently released by Wood....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 20 queries.