Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Front end wobble  (Read 6136 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Front end wobble
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »

We pay all this so called freight and "set up" fees when we buy a new bike. I just don't get how these "dealers" :'( let us ride these bikes out of there and not checking for things like proper bearing settings so that the bike won't wobble right out of our hands. I have experienced this on a RGU and it is something I will never forget. That really sucks.  Would be nice if they made sure the tire pressure was up too. >:(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »

We pay all this so called freight and "set up" fees when we buy a new bike. I just don't get how these "dealers" :'( let us ride these bikes out of there and not checking for things like proper bearing settings so that the bike won't wobble right out of our hands. I have experienced this on a RGU and it is something I will never forget. That really sucks.  Would be nice if they made sure the tire pressure was up too. >:(

"Set Up" fees refer to the dealer setting us up to be screwed.  If you really ever thought that they did anything useful for that $500 prep fee, you should know better by now.  It's no different than the $500 paint protection package they sell at your local auto emporium, or doc fees, or various other BS; it's just Extra Dealer Profit.

The dealer's are paid by the MoCo to uncrate the bikes, install small parts and adjust stuff like mirrors, etc., and then perform a predelivery checklist and test ride.  While they aren't required to do things like a fall away test of the head bearings, any serious issues should be found during a proper road test.  A proper road test is about 10 miles, btw, and I'll bet that most of us had 1 or 2 miles on the odometer when we picked up our bikes.  That's the amount put on at the factory.  Draw your own conclusions about how much "prep" was actually done.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »

For anybody else having this problem.....
there is a member of this forum that had the same problem on his 09 SERG.  He took it to several dealerships and supposedly they checked the neck bearings through the fall away.  We were on a ride to Nevada where I observed his problems first hand and we stopped by Carson Cith HD.  We told them what the problem was and what had been done by the previous dealerships.

It was closing time but I told them it was a life/safety issue and we're from out of town.  They pushed the bike in the back....at one point I saw three techs working on that bike at the same time and two techs the whole time.  About an hour...hour and a half later they came out and said the fall away was at something like 5 or 6.....they set it to two and a half.  We left there as they were closing the shop door.....I was skeptical.  At the first light he told me the wobble was gone. :2vrolijk_21:

If you have this problem and you don't find solution at one dealership, you took it to the wrong dealership....take it to another and another until you get resolution.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »

How about someone giving a step by step of the fall away test. Might be helpfull to several members. I think I know the basic preceedure but am not really sure if I have it correct. :confused5:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »

How about someone giving a step by step of the fall away test. Might be helpfull to several members. I think I know the basic preceedure but am not really sure if I have it correct. :confused5:

Click on the attachment.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »

Thanks Jerry

Not hard for people to at least check for themselves. We shouldn't have too but we all know HD service  :soapbox:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »

Click on the attachment.

Jerry

Jerry,

A question to the more experienced HD rider like yourself, if someone had the fall away set up at say 5k miles, would it be out of the question that at 10k miles it may have to be setup again?

I'm thinking that from out the door to 5k miles, a seating in of the bearings and the grease, may loosen up the adjustment a bit.  But from the 5k reset of the fall away, I would think that it would be good for maybe up to the 20k mile checkup, am I wrong with that thinking?

Mine had the back and forth about 4 to 5 times at about 2k miles and I was getting the 35 to 40 mph hands off wobble very badly.  They did the adjustment and all was well and now at about 8k miles again, it's back.  Just wondering how long this adjustment should last.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »

Jerry,

A question to the more experienced HD rider like yourself, if someone had the fall away set up at say 5k miles, would it be out of the question that at 10k miles it may have to be setup again?

I'm thinking that from out the door to 5k miles, a seating in of the bearings and the grease, may loosen up the adjustment a bit.  But from the 5k reset of the fall away, I would think that it would be good for maybe up to the 20k mile checkup, am I wrong with that thinking?

Mine had the back and forth about 4 to 5 times at about 2k miles and I was getting the 35 to 40 mph hands off wobble very badly.  They did the adjustment and all was well and now at about 8k miles again, it's back.  Just wondering how long this adjustment should last.

Thanks.

Assuming the bearing races are fully seated and the bearings are properly lubed and aren't damaged, once the preload is adjusted properly it really shouldn't change appreciably in 10k or even 20k miles.  If I remember correctly, even H-D doesn't recommend checking it until 25k miles.  It's quite important that they torque the stem nut properly when they finish the adjustment.

Jerry

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »

jerry..  you make this site better and better every day :2vrolijk_21:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

Looking at the instruction in the bulletin as well as the manuals, why was this an issue for the 2009s.  Isn't it the same procedure for all?   I'm now asking for real life experience.... Do you need to disconnect the clutch cable, un-rivet the main harness and remove all unnecessary accessories in order to do this correctly.  I sometime wonder if adding amplifiers, much heavier speakers, GPS, etc has an affect on this adjustment on the non fixed fairings especially.  Maybe we have some responsibility.
Thoughts?

Phil
Any day on the bike is a good day.

jcd520

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 06:37:21 PM »

My swing pattern is just like it says in the book that it should be and has no drag or hesitation in it whatsoever and the bike still does it.

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »

Just wondering if this could be the problem I am experiencing with my new 2011 SESG, I posted this up yesterday;

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=62754.0

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I go back to the dealer, thanks, Paul.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »

Just wondering if this could be the problem I am experiencing with my new 2011 SESG, I posted this up yesterday;

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=62754.0

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I go back to the dealer, thanks, Paul.

The link you provided talks about a "vibration".....this thread is not about vibration but about "wobble" where the whole bike starts doing the watusi shuffle for no apparent reason and it (the wobble) accelerates very fast if you con't stop the bike or get it slowed way back down.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »

The link you provided talks about a "vibration".....this thread is not about vibration but about "wobble" where the whole bike starts doing the watusi shuffle for no apparent reason and it (the wobble) accelerates very fast if you con't stop the bike or get it slowed way back down.
Ok, thanks for that, just thought it might be relevant, but have not experienced anything like that.

jcd520

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »

Another little tidbit I have picked up from the dealership

The tire  that is on the front of my FLHXSE2 is as follows--part # 55055-11--130/60 B19 408F-MG 61H

Now--------The accessorries catalogue page 820 says this part # is a 130/80------and then the rest is the same.

My dealer says in fact it is supposed to be a 130/60 which is what is on my bike so I guess the access. catalogue is a misprint. When I first discovered this I  thought they had put the wrong tire on my bike but according to HD , Dunlop does not make a 130/80 for this bike. Some of you take a look and see what you have please.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.