Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Front end wobble  (Read 6134 times)

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
Front end wobble
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »

2011 cvo street glide,is any one else having problems with front wobble,really bad on decelerate 45mph to 35mph and pretty bad holding steady speed the same 40-45mph,They checked neck  and greased,been doing this since day one,tire or rim maybe?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Front end wobble
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

A lot of us have had the deceleration wobble. 

Often the the steering head bearings are loose and need tightening.  Not sure what you mean by "they checked the neck."

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »

2011 cvo street glide,is any one else having problems with front wobble,really bad on decelerate 45mph to 35mph and pretty bad holding steady speed the same 40-45mph,They checked neck  and greased,been doing this since day one,tire or rim maybe?

Could very easily be caused by a severe imbalance or runout condition of the tire/wheel, but the most likely thing that has been happening (and happening, and happening, and happening) with this particular issue is improperly adjusted steering head bearing preload.  I notice you said the dealership "checked the neck and greased".  Does this mean they performed a proper fall away check, or that they just looked and didn't see any grease oozing out so they added some?

How many days has it been since "day one"?  If it's been more than just a few, you need to insist your dealer do something more than just shoot a little grease into the fitting and hand the bike back to you.  There is no excuse for them to not continue to perform proper diagnosis until they fix it, and they should be the ones to verify the fix before handing the bike back to you.  When the grease job didn't fix the problem, they should have continued looking until they found the problem.  Something like the following routine, for instance.

1.  Verify correct tire pressures.
2.  Lubricate steering head bearings.
3.  Perform proper fall away inspection to current specifications, adjust bearing preload as required.  Make sure there is no binding and the front end is free to move smoothly from lock to lock when doing the fall away test.
4.  Verify correct steering head stem nut torque.
5.  Check front wheel/tire/rotor assembly for excessive runout and imbalance, verify proper axle installation and torque.
6.  Swap wheel and tire with another bike to check for tire related issues.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcd520

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »

Also could just need a set of AK - 20 's from Traxxion! The forks on the new bikes are still marginal at best.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

Also could just need a set of AK - 20 's from Traxxion! The forks on the new bikes are still marginal at best.

Sorry, I don't buy that.  The standard forks are just fine with regard to the issue trahog has, and spending over a thousand dollars on something like the Traxxion stuff won't fix something like an improperly adjusted steering head or bad tires (might ride and handle better than stock once the real cause of the wobble is fixed, however).  But the MoCo owes him a free fix first.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcd520

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »

Key word in my post----"could need".
You are right. I think he has a steering head or wheel issue and the MOCO needs to fix it for him .
But--------the forks are barely better than past offerings . I know my bike did the same thing especially when braking at an intersection with sometimes rolled up pavement. The front end would shake and bounce terribly. I just put up with it til I got my Traxxion forks. But also I already knew that the steering head and tire and wheel were not at issue. My apologies for seeming to suggest that this is a " Fix All" . It is not .

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »

Jerry ,They did all the things you mentioned,other than changing the wheel and tire,it is in the shop getting the new parts from the bad paint and checking again for the wobble the bike has 950 miles on it and has gotten worse ,the first day I rode it out of the dealership went 2 blocks and turned around and told them about it,still not better,My 09cvo road glide did the same thing but grease took care of it,this is a really bad wobble.The funny thing on the cowbells had both replaced and the  new one on right side has blister under clear coat,I'm half blind and can see it,The paint guilty on this bike is the worst I've had on any of my Harleys and this is my 4th cvo So far they are taking care of the issues so can't complain New seat ,due to creases in the seat after first wash,New oter fairing due to spot missed painting and clear over it,both cowbells,left lower chips in those last 3 mentioned dirt in the dash and insert ,time lost from ridding on beautiful fall Florida weather due to bike in shop,Nice way to spend A years salary,This may be my last, cvo very frustrated right now and I blame the MOCO

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »

Just wondering did you get the tire and rim insurance? I would say it is just a bad tire. The insurance here in Canada is $481.00 plus tax.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »

I tightened the neck to 2 swings maybe a tittle smaller. That  took out the wobble.   If you get it to tight the ass of the bike will wobble. Kinda like my avatar.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »

Only your avatar is a nice wobble  :huepfenjump3:

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »

do not need insurance,has been like this since day one

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »

I tightened the neck to 2 swings maybe a tittle smaller. That  took out the wobble.   If you get it to tight the ass of the bike will wobble. Kinda like my avatar.

Yup.  Too loose will wobble, too tight will weave.  Both suck, but a weave is a little easier to control at high speeds than a true wobble.  If you run the preload to the tight side of the spec, make sure you keep the bearings greased.  Don't wait for the interval in the manual, I'd grease them at every oil change.

Nice avatar btw.

Jerry

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »

Trahog,

Did the dealer ever sort this out? My new bike has the same problem. I have read many people talking about it, just haven't seen what finally fixed it.

Thanks,

FAST

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »

new front tire and correct wheel weights took care f the problem and a god tune believe it or not tts and d&d fat cat pipe no more wobble

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »

I ignored it at first, wobble was controllable as long as you kept your hands on bars and I just kept putting off doing something about it. Finally took it in last week as warranty is about out and I figured if something was actually wrong may as well let HD pay. They tightened fork bearings, balanced frt wheel and it is a different bike. Not sure why I didn't do this earlier, could have done it myself, major difference.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.