Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 3 qts of disappearing motor oil  (Read 5139 times)

zilla

Re: 3 qts of disappearing motor oil
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »

Might be a stupid Question but was the indy just showing you the tranny oil

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »

:worthless: has me totally baffled!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »

Twolane, was not questioning you, just used your comment as a bounce off point to the originator.  Seems like case is closed and he is not wanting to continue conversation on the real problem, not knowing when or how long it took for the oil to exit the motor.

No problems and all is cool.  Or at least as cool as it can be when a guy is three quarts down.... :oops:

If the thread's originator no longer wishes to continue the conversation he started that could only mean we're allowed to speculate rampantly on our own.  My guess is the Starship Enterprise flew over and beamed out three quarts.  Either that or oil eating hamsters.  One or the other.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »

The Oil Gods relaimed there Oil Back and left a Harley Rider totally baffled!!  8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »

:cherry:
Well,  I think he said he worked with the indy before and trusted him......So,  assuming no foul play,  it is indeed a mystery..........

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

Have a similar issue with the '10 ConV.

Oil changed at 1000 by the dealer (came with the sale of the bike) Nothing said to me about it being low.

At 2000 she was running a bit hot, checked the oil and it was a qt low. Checked again at 2500, was a half qt low. Checked again at 3000 and was another half qt low. So with 3k miles she is losing a qt every 1k.

No signs of leaking anywhere and I've pulled the derby, it's fine. Since the powder coating is flaking they are going to replace the casing and do a oil consumption evaluation as they tear her down this winter. Can't wait to hear what they tell me. Something like....."It's normal"

Lucy... yu'v got sum splain'n ta do.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »

No problems and all is cool.  Or at least as cool as it can be when a guy is three quarts down.... :oops:

If the thread's originator no longer wishes to continue the conversation he started that could only mean we're allowed to speculate rampantly on our own.  My guess is the Starship Enterprise flew over and beamed out three quarts.  Either that or oil eating hamsters.  One or the other.
Could be he lives on the Gulf coast and some of the BP oil eating Microbes got in his motor, the black goop may have been their remains after they ate all the oil, you think?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »

Have a similar issue with the '10 ConV.

Oil changed at 1000 by the dealer (came with the sale of the bike) Nothing said to me about it being low.

At 2000 she was running a bit hot, checked the oil and it was a qt low. Checked again at 2500, was a half qt low. Checked again at 3000 and was another half qt low. So with 3k miles she is losing a qt every 1k.

No signs of leaking anywhere and I've pulled the derby, it's fine. Since the powder coating is flaking they are going to replace the casing and do a oil consumption evaluation as they tear her down this winter. Can't wait to hear what they tell me. Something like....."It's normal"

Lucy... yu'v got sum splain'n ta do.

FWIW: I have a friend that bought a new Classic and has been wrestling with Harley over the same exact problem.

As has been suggested here we:

1. Changed the oil and filter several times.
2. Measured the fluid level in the primary before a ride and after new oil was put in the bike.
3. Checked the residue in the mufflers for oil residue.
4. Checked the vent to see if there was excessive blowby.
5. Checked the plugs for wetnesss and correct burn.
6. Ran a compression and leak down test.
7. Marked the dip stick after a new oil change and checked the level after rides.

All of the above continued to come out as you would expect.

Harley's position is and continues to be "It's normal consumption--no worries". This position reinforces the earlier post that strongly recommends checking the oil frquently on these new models to avoid engine damage.

So we decided why not follow the old method to be sure the rings were seated and put dinosaur oil in and closely followed the consumption over several extended rides.

Guess what?? It's starting to subside.  

I wish I had a better answer but maybe Syn isn't the best break in option on these new motors.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Jerry

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:22:24 PM by CVOStreetglide »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »

Could be he lives on the Gulf coast and some of the BP oil eating Microbes got in his motor, the black goop may have been their remains after they ate all the oil, you think?

I'm with Chains, it most definitely going to be Microbes!

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »

Thanks for the post Jerry

We are on the same wave length.

hogasm

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »

Went to the dealership last week and they had a 2009 SERG that was loosing oil at a rate of 1qt every 500 miles

One of the rings was installed upside down :nixweiss:

Need to go back and check out if the new rings took care of the problem

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »

Went to the dealership last week and they had a 2009 SERG that was loosing oil at a rate of 1qt every 500 miles

One of the rings was installed upside down :nixweiss:

Need to go back and check out if the new rings took care of the problem

Wouldn't that bike smoke like hell with a ring in backwards ?  

I had a motor rebuilt one time and it smoked like a bug fogger. The wrench who built it shut it down within seconds, pulled the motor, pulled the top end, did a pretty good job of hopping around kicking himself in the ass, reinstalled the rings correctly and that motor now has 50,000 maintenance free miles on it. All of it in and around Texas. Anyway, morale of the story is any motor than consumes oil at this rate has some real serious top end issues. If not rings, valve guides.

B B

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »

Wouldn't that bike smoke like hell with a ring in backwards ?  

I had a motor rebuilt one time and it smoked like a bug fogger. The wrench who built it shut it down within seconds, pulled the motor, pulled the top end, did a pretty good job of hopping around kicking himself in the ass, reinstalled the rings correctly and that motor now has 50,000 maintenance free miles on it. All of it in and around Texas. Anyway, morale of the story is any motor than consumes oil at this rate has some real serious top end issues. If not rings, valve guides.

B B

I agree.  15K on oil?  :nixweiss: Not me.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 11:01:21 PM »

I Can attest to the oil migrating to the primary.
With under 4000miles on the bike I complained to the local H D dealer about a thumping vibration felt on the hand grips. I left the bike to have it checked. The dealer called the next day and left a message to pick it up. When I arrived I was told they rode my bike and it felt the same as their new bikes.    Two days later about two miles from my house the vibration was more pronounced and the lifters got loud.
The bike was not smoking, when I arrived home I checked the oil, none on the stick. I looked in the tank with a flashlight there was less than two inches in the tank. The bike had no signs of a leak anywhere. I called my friendly H D parts man who use to have his own shop and explained this, he said take the derby cover loose and you will find the oil.  Yep, it began to run out of the loose cover.
I called the Dealer that sold the bike, 23 miles away, and related the problem to the service manager. They picked it up. The oil migrated through the crankshaft seal. The reason related was there was not enough crush from the compensator bolt.
 Everything fixed under warranty and the thumping vibration was gone also..
The bike now has over 21000 miles .

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »

I Can attest to the oil migrating to the primary.
With under 4000miles on the bike I complained to the local H D dealer about a thumping vibration felt on the hand grips. I left the bike to have it checked. The dealer called the next day and left a message to pick it up. When I arrived I was told they rode my bike and it felt the same as their new bikes.    Two days later about two miles from my house the vibration was more pronounced and the lifters got loud.
The bike was not smoking, when I arrived home I checked the oil, none on the stick. I looked in the tank with a flashlight there was less than two inches in the tank. The bike had no signs of a leak anywhere. I called my friendly H D parts man who use to have his own shop and explained this, he said take the derby cover loose and you will find the oil.  Yep, it began to run out of the loose cover.
I called the Dealer that sold the bike, 23 miles away, and related the problem to the service manager. They picked it up. The oil migrated through the crankshaft seal. The reason related was there was not enough crush from the compensator bolt.
 Everything fixed under warranty and the thumping vibration was gone also..
The bike now has over 21000 miles .

Al

So they road your bike...checked nothing...and determined it was fine because "They all do that"... 

Nice....    :help:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.