Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 3 qts of disappearing motor oil  (Read 5140 times)

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
3 qts of disappearing motor oil
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »

09 SERG. Had a 10k service done 4 months ago 9k miles. Used Redline products. Service was done at dealer in Iowa. 15k oil change yesterday by an Indp. in Texas. He showed me that all he had been able to drain was 1 qt. of what looked and acted like tar. Very dark and very thick. Servicing dealership asked for a compression check and leak down test. Passed those with flying colors. Plugs look like the bike is actually running a little lean. WTF happend to my oil?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:08:47 PM by 20 gauge »

jiml53

• 1K CVO Member
  • Silent Service

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 blk #535
    • CVO2: '02 FXDX-T
Re: 3 qts of disappearing motor oil
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »

If at 15K you just had the engine oil changed, could it be in the primary????? Might want to pull the derby cover off and look see. Hopefully you check your engine oil level from time to time.

Jim :coolblue:
Deep Silent Fast Deadly

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

:cherry:
Your problem is definutely NOT with the use of Redline products.   They are one of the best.

How much do you know about this (indy) that is telling you about the oil change???????????????

If you don't know for sure,  I'd get some new Redline back into it and get your bike the hell away from this indy.

I've not had such a problem with any bike dealer,  but many yrs ago,  (back when gas stations actually pumped  your gas for you and checked your oil, etc)...........Those were the days.

Anyway,  I come out of the station bathroom and am told how "lucky" I am that they discovered my fuel pump was leaking and that they had a new replacement one on hand that they could install in little time and get me back on the road.   I cranked it up and watched the fuel pump,  no squirt from a leaking diaphram or otherwise.......I said "no thanks",  and got back on the road.........checked my milage at next fillup......got 20.5MPH on a 289 Ford Mustang stick........So much for my non-existant fuel pump leak......made to look so while I was in the John by a squirt or so from the attendant. :sauer005:

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

:cherry:
Your problem is definutely NOT with the use of Redline products.   They are one of the best.

How much do you know about this (indy) that is telling you about the oil change???????????????

If you don't know for sure,  I'd get some new Redline back into it and get your bike the hell away from this indy.

I've not had such a problem with any bike dealer,  but many yrs ago,  (back when gas stations actually pumped  your gas for you and checked your oil, etc)...........Those were the days.

Anyway,  I come out of the station bathroom and am told how "lucky" I am that they discovered my fuel pump was leaking and that they had a new replacement one on hand that they could install in little time and get me back on the road.   I cranked it up and watched the fuel pump,  no squirt from a leaking diaphram or otherwise.......I said "no thanks",  and got back on the road.........checked my milage at next fillup......got 20.5MPH on a 289 Ford Mustang stick........So much for my non-existant fuel pump leak......made to look so while I was in the John by a squirt or so from the attendant. :sauer005:

Not so sure there is a problem with the indy, but he could be trying something.

Did he show you the oil from the change

Since he did the change and the comp checked out ok...ride it and keep a closer eye on the oil level from now on. I have a buddy that his bike doesn't smoke any but the oil goes away at 1qt per 500 miles :nixweiss:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »

I doubt you were riding around for all those miles with 1/4 of the oil in your bike, stay away from who ever is trying to feed you this bull chit
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »

Indy is impeccable. Been using him for 4 years, and have no reason to question him. I am NOT that impressed with Redline as everyone at this site is.No reduction in noise when putting in gear or shifting gears. I have been a new car dealer for 40 years. Seen all the scams, don't trust anyone. Something is going on here, but what?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »

Seen all the scams, don't trust anyone. 

Have to start questions with the guy that never checked oil in 5k.  After that see if oil dumped in to the primary.  After that if nothing is found start fresh and check it very regularly as a diagnostic to begin sorting out what is actually going on.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »

Rather than use the WAG method, and possibly besmirch the reputation of a dealership or independent without just cause, may I suggest just going forward with whatever brand of oil you like and check the level every 100 miles or so.  If the bike is using oil at an excessive rate, it should become obvious rather quickly.  And just because a compression test and leakdown test comes back good, and the plugs aren't black and oily, doesn't mean the engine can't be burning oil.  For instance, valve stem oil seals haven't been terribly reliable at H-D and will allow oil to pass without affecting compression or leakdown testing.  And these engines run so hot that you won't necessarily see black oily deposits on the plugs like we did in the old days, at least until the consumption rate gets much worse than 2000 miles per quart (6000 miles, roughly 3 quarts unaccounted for).

Even though most vehicles these days don't require constant verification of the motor oil level (I haven't owned a car in decades that needed oil added between changes), it's still a good idea with a Harley to get into the habit of checking it on a regular basis.  And in case you wonder why the 1 quart the indy drained out was so nasty looking and thick, that's what severe overheating does to motor oil.  With only 1 quart or so circulating in an engine that normally has 3.5 to 4.0 quarts, the oil will get much hotter.  Even the best synthetics can't handle severe overheating for extended periods of time.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »

Have to start questions with the guy that never checked oil in 5k.  After that see if oil dumped in to the primary.  After that if nothing is found start fresh and check it very regularly as a diagnostic to begin sorting out what is actually going on.
Wouldn't you notice something going on with an extra 3 quarts in the primary?  I had a Ducati in the 60's that leaked gas into the lower end if you forgot to turn the gas off,it made itself into a two wheel bomb. I have never seen a primary over loaded with 3 quarts of oil, not saying it doesn't happen.  But, I guess if you go 5 k without checking your oil on a Harley anything could take place.  Sure would like to hear what took place in this situation.  I agree with grc that what oil was left in the motor would be very ugly after riding it for miles.  Did not mean to doubt your guy since you feel so strongly about his ability, perhaps a good sit down and talk with him may lead to an answer.  I gaurentee it was not the Redline oil that caused a problem.

Will wait impatiently for the the answer.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »

Please look back at this post or my others and point out to me where I have ever envoked SWAG. What in my most recent posts ever besmirtched the reputation of my dealership or independent? Sorry I blew up and consider the case closed.

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »

Also, please point out to me where I attacked Redline. I bought it because of the posts at this site. I said that FOR ME, the results were not as reported. No acqusations about the product were made.

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

OK. Invoked.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »

Wouldn't you notice something going on with an extra 3 quarts in the primary? 

Wouldn't expect it all to be in primary even were it a case seal leaking in to the primary.  But it could be part of a problem.  Figure a four quart load.  Filled full at the beginning would likely lose a half quart to venting.  Use a quart in 5k isn't unusual.  So even if there were a seal leak you might see an extra quart or just a bit more in the primary.

The question, however, was more to suggest that not checking the oil level once in the 5k meant he had no idea when, where nor how quickly was lost whatever was lost.  It's a study without a starting point. 

Did not mean to doubt your guy since you feel so strongly about his ability, perhaps a good sit down and talk with him may lead to an answer.  I gaurentee it was not the Redline oil that caused a problem.

No worries there mate.  Didn't have a "guy" that was being suggested.  The guy not doing the checking was the bike owner.  Was again just suggesting that checking the levels would have been potentially diagnostic.  And, of course, Redline nor any other competent lubricant is the cause.  Still be curious what's going on.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »

Please look back at this post or my others and point out to me where I have ever envoked SWAG. What in my most recent posts ever besmirtched the reputation of my dealership or independent? Sorry I blew up and consider the case closed.

My mention of the WAG method and besmirching the reputation of the dealership and indy was aimed at the folks answering your original post, not at you.  My point being that there is no way to know what went on between the oil change at the dealer and the one at the indy, so move forward and try to determine what's going on now.  And learn from the experience, of course, and develop the habit of checking the oil on a regular basis.

BTW, one more suggestion.  I would only run the current oil for maybe 500 miles and then do another change, to get any remaining overcooked oil out of the engine.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 08:57:45 AM »

Wouldn't expect it all to be in primary even were it a case seal leaking in to the primary.  But it could be part of a problem.  Figure a four quart load.  Filled full at the beginning would likely lose a half quart to venting.  Use a quart in 5k isn't unusual.  So even if there were a seal leak you might see an extra quart or just a bit more in the primary.

The question, however, was more to suggest that not checking the oil level once in the 5k meant he had no idea when, where nor how quickly was lost whatever was lost.  It's a study without a starting point.  

No worries there mate.  Didn't have a "guy" that was being suggested.  The guy not doing the checking was the bike owner.  Was again just suggesting that checking the levels would have been potentially diagnostic.  And, of course, Redline nor any other competent lubricant is the cause.  Still be curious what's going on.
Twolane, was not questioning you, just used your comment as a bounce off point to the originator.  Seems like case is closed and he is not wanting to continue conversation on the real problem, not knowing when or how long it took for the oil to exit the motor.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.