Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any issues/problems with 10/11 CVO Conv?  (Read 3911 times)

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
Any issues/problems with 10/11 CVO Conv?
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »

Seriously considering my 7th Harley will be a CVO Convertible.  My favorite bike has been Road Glides, but still miss my old 02 Fatboy ride.  I've owned a Dyna, a Softail, 4 Touring (Ultra, RK, 2-RGs) rigs over the years.  I'm ready to get back on a lighter bike, since I dont do cross country tours any longer.

Any mechanical problems or issues on these bikes?  Whatever my next bike is, I will own a long time (yeah, kinda like I wont do any mods).  lol  Anyway, thats the plan.  I like cruise and bigger motor, but might do a cam and muffs on her.

TIA

menace

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

Re: Any issues/problems with 10/11 CVO Conv?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »

Welcome to the site from OHIO>Only 1 issue U not owning It.  Go Getr Done. :nervous:

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »

I have only had this '11 for exactly 1 month today.  Have 425 miles on it now.  I only have one issue that has cropped up so far.  That is the throttle grip is a little sticky when letting off the throttle.  Wants to just stay where it is (not difficult at all to close but doesn't just want to just roll off on its own all the way.  This has actually only started just since I attached a Formotion thermometer to the switch housing using one of the bolts.  When I tightened up the housing bolt, could this have put a slight crimp on the throttle grip????   Seems like it operated flawlessly before I put the thermometer on........Other than that I have not a single issue with the bike!  Now I do have a couple issues with information that is printed in the owner's manual and the shop manual being incorrect, etc.  Biggest issue is the way the owner's manual says to disarm the security system with the PIN.  It is wrong.  But it is correct in the shop manual.  Go figure....  A few other misinformations in the manual as well.  But the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,ahhhhhhhhhh, that is a beautiful thing!   Pork   They finally got this one right.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »

Menace...  Are you the same Menace on HTT?

Let me see if I can conger up a "pain in the arse" list discussed over the last year. Don't get me wrong with this list, we love our ConV. She's a fantastic bike.

Brakes, the 2011 has abs but the 2010 doesn't and the pads will not stop the bike very well...don't know how the 11's stop, Porky??
Passenger pegs will vibrate and fall down while riding.
Fairing doesn't work at all yet it seems to force wind to hit the rider's face and shoulders.
Wind buffeting from under the tank will drive you nuts over 65 mph.
Headlight is too small visually for this bike.
Bags must be securely locked in or they will fall off during a ride, some say they just fall off secured or not.
Bike is easy to tip over while washing or working on it.
Passenger seat will rub the rear fender so you will need extra protection to prevent scratches.
ASSY fuse must be removed to flash the ECM as the speedo fuel signal will interfere and give you an error code.
Rear tire cups quickly so add 2 lbs to the tire pressure to help this out.
Low floorboards so they scrape easily when cornering but she handles crazy stupid like she is on a rail.
Fuel cap will slosh gas when riding, easy fix, just replace the cap due to a seal issue.
Rear wheel will howl at certain speeds, will sound like a bad wheel bearing but it is just the design of the wheels.
Tail lights aren't bright enough to be seen clearly during the day.
The B motor is smooth and strong, no issues with ours except we have an oil consumption issue (1qt every 1K)
Short exhaust will cause loss of bottom end TQ but after 3k RPM's she will pull like there's no tomorrow with a good tune. Cams will bring the bottom end back.
The 10's are cable but the 11's are DBW which brings the TQ management into play.
Aftermarket slip on's are a little difficult to find and get the exhaust note right. Thunderheader and street sweepers can be a tick loud for our taste.
A heal shifter would have been nice, took mine off the SESG and put on the ConV.
Infiltrator filter cartridge is junk, change to K&N filter.
Alarm system is a little touchy even with the fob in your pocket.

That's about all I can remember this morning but I'll chime back in if something else comes to mind. Really..  don't get me wrong with this list, this is a very cool bike and we absolutely love ours. We've just gotten used to the quirks.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »

Welcome to the site.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

Menace

Just a few more issues I have with my 2010 CVO...

The stock bike pipes with cats make the bike sound like a sewing machine..., not a Harley. Most owners have switched pipes. I initially went with Rush 1.75 slip on's ...sounded great at idle..., just too loud for my taske at cruise. I swapped them out for a pait of 2009 HD SE pipes that sound great and w/o the cats.

The bike will run hot...., so along with removing the cats, I installed a Thundermax w/ autotune ECM. Really cooled the bike down by changing the AFRs, and also seems to have a little more "kick" to it. Greatt produce.

I also liike the 2010 looks (mine is red / silver) better than the 2011..., but that's a matter of taste.

I was at Delmarva Bike week in September and got a lot of nice comments on the CVO Softail

Ride Safe

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

Mr Wizard, yes its the same DTM from HTT.  I asked the same question over there, but didnt get much feedback.  Been on this site for a year or so, but havent posted until now.  Getting serious about CVO as next purchase, and wont be going full on bagger again, I dont think.  lol

Thanks for the input everyone.  Sounds like a good bike, even with a few quirks.  I have a dealer that has one reserved for me late spring next year, so I am still a way out from purchasing.  I am moving from Colorado to Las Vegas in spring, and will pickup the bike then (tho I am buying it in Oregon).

Dennis

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »

My dealer has a leftover blue '10 on the floor, as of a week ago.  I have to go by there tomorrow for some stuff. 

I am going to ask to ride it.    I sure hope I dont get stupid.  lol

Dennis

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »

My dealer has a leftover blue '10 on the floor, as of a week ago.  I have to go by there tomorrow for some stuff. 

I am going to ask to ride it.    I sure hope I dont get stupid.  lol

Dennis
Did you ride it?  Give us your opinion.  So what would the dealer let the left over '10 go for? 

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

Hey 2smoke, the dealer has 2 stores and a concession at Denver airport.  I went to my local store and they had moved the bike to the main store, so it wasnt there.  No ride.  Maybe a good thing.

It is a Blue '10, with 71 miles on it when I saw it 2 weeks back.  They would probably settle for 25k on it, I was told.  Might take some dickering, since they are a busy dealer (#4 in nation).  They sold 2 of the 3 Blue CONVs from lsat year, and were surprised they still have it.  If they still have it in January, I am certain they will let it go for 25k.

Dennis

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.