Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: how to change from mph to kmh  (Read 23655 times)

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
how to change from mph to kmh
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:17:48 AM »

as i am new to my bike, and i am in australia we display in kmh, for some reason it is now displaying mph and the clock went to 1200
i reset the clock as per owners manual , no problem, but cannot work out how to change back to kmh, will call the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone knows that would be great.

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
Re: how to change from mph to kmh
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »

On a new sporster you just hold the button in for 5 seconds to convert between MPH & KM, which also isnt in the manual.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »

as i am new to my bike, and i am in australia we display in kmh, for some reason it is now displaying mph and the clock went to 1200
i reset the clock as per owners manual , no problem, but cannot work out how to change back to kmh, will call the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone knows that would be great.
Hey, DC, in the CVO pamphlet it talks about the speedo display being able to toggle between mph and kmh (which would be ideal as I may go up into Canada on occasion) but in the owner's manual it stipulates that kmh is only on international models.  Mine is displayed in mph only.  No toggle ability that I'm aware of.                 And your next reply should elevate you out of "newbie" status.  Welcome to the next level.   Pork.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

hey porkstar, you are right, it is in the manual as last night i read cover to cover,
this morning ,,,,, nqw 8am in melb went to the bike held for 5 sec on each setting , and resetting the clock again , found that fad boy has got it correct , in the straight odomoter setting , hold for 5 sec and it changes from mph to kmh,
slowly i am getting there, confusing just slightly after 15 years on an fxstc
thanks guys

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »

Thats cool, in the UK we use MPH but I will be in France at least twice next year so it a nice touch to be able to display KPH.

Don't know why we are having to wait until March to get UK HDI bikes, can't think of any big differences between the UK and Oz

Cheers,

Kev

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

probably because of the cricket....... lol

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »

in melb went to the bike held for 5 sec on each setting , and resetting the clock again , found that fad boy has got it correct , in the straight odomoter setting , hold for 5 sec and it changes from mph to kmh,

Well, again, I just learned something.  Looked at what you  guys have been talking about and through your experimenting, confirmed that the bikes do indeed toggle thru mph and kmh.  But you must have the bike in "run", then (in odometer mode) hold down on the toggle switch and in about 5 seconds it will cycle from one to the other and back again.  Hallelujah!!  I'm ready to go to Canada!!  Much nicer!  Don't have to rethink or "keep it within the crosshairs".  that's what I like about this forum........slow as the second coming, but informative when it's active!   Thanks for the info!   Pork

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »

Yeah, well you may have been witness for the first coming.........107 years old? :innocent:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:59:45 AM by porkypig »

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »

When toggeling from MPH to KmH you might loose any miles you have on your trip meter, I remember a friend of mine a couple of years ago, changed his speedo on the second day of a long trip and it also rest his trip meter to zero,  You guys might wanna check this out before you go on your hols, not that you get pi$$ed that you lost you total trip miles

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »

When toggeling from MPH to KmH you might loose any miles you have on your trip meter, I remember a friend of mine a couple of years ago, changed his speedo on the second day of a long trip and it also rest his trip meter to zero, 
Thanks, Ice.  Not one to sit on my hands if I have a question that is burning for an answer (and the resources to find the answer to the question) I investigated that just as soon as I got home today.  With the bike in "run" and toggling thru to the odometer, I held the button in for 5 seconds and it changed from mph to km/h.  Toggling thru all the modes, the unit transposed everything from miles to kilometers, without exception.  It should be noted however, you must do this in the odometer mode and not, repeat not, in the trip meter mode or it will think you just want to zero your trip meter.  So, it seems to work perfectly.  Now, someone with a 2010 model needs to try the same thing, sort of, and see if that model also can toggle between mph and km/h.    Pork.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »

My friend I wrote about has a 2005 Heritage English spec, so this is not new technology!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »

No, you're right; it isn't new technology.  I had a new 05 Heritage and quite possibly I may have been able to toggle the odometer switch to indicate km/h but the speedo was definitely analog only and in mph only.  The problem sometimes is the number of misprints and missing info that is in the owner's and service manuals that we pay big bucks for.  In this day and age that's far from the buttons/levers of a bygone era, a push and hold of a button for 5 seconds while pressing one of several other buttons gives one dozens of options, modes, and what have you.  We have asked for technology to give us everything we can dream of including the kitchen sink and many times they do but there is definitely a price to pay in the way we have to go about it.  Just think for a moment how many levers/buttons/pedals/gages our finger/thumbs/feet/eyes are in charge of at any one moment in time while keeping out attention on the road and traffic ahead of us during normal circumstances let alone emergencies???  And most of do quite well at it.  Cages are a piece of cake compared to these machines!  Manuals used to be thin; now they are getting so thick they are going to cd's to cut the cost of paper.  I'm glad the technology is here and I can ride my bike in the friendly country of Canada and have my speedometer match the posted limit; I just have to come here to the forum sometimes to gleen what my owner's manual doesn't state or even at time "misstates".  Good, informative people here on the CVO forum.  It's all about getting the most out of what we pay/play for.   Pork.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »

if it is the same speedo , of course it will work

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »

I'm anxiously waiting for the reply if this switching from MPH to KPH works on all models???

A friend of mine just purchased a '09 SERG from Buffalo (which of course is in MPH) and trailered it home to Southern Ontario and will be very excited to hear that it is changeable.

Please inform ASAP.

Thanks!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »

Well, only one way for him (and us) to find our really quickly.........call him on the phone (or text him) and ask him to try it.  :nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.