Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake sound  (Read 892 times)

todd22

• CVO1: 2006 SE fatboy
Brake sound
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »

On my 2006 cvo fatboy when I touch the front brake I hear a little click when they first start to grab.  I think it is the brake disk moving slightly before they grab.  The bolts appear tight.  This is my first HD so I have no point of reference.  Is the play normal or a problem. The bike has 8000miles on it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Brake sound
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »

On my 2006 cvo fatboy when I touch the front brake I hear a little click when they first start to grab.  I think it is the brake disk moving slightly before they grab.  The bolts appear tight.  This is my first HD so I have no point of reference.  Is the play normal or a problem. The bike has 8000miles on it.

The bolts appear tight, but have you actually put a torque wrench on them to make sure?  That would be my first recommendation, check all the fasteners for the caliper and the rotor.

One of the other possible sources of the click is the floating rotor.  If you look at how the rotor is made, there is a separate outer section connected to the inner section by what looks like big rivets.  The outer section is free to move slightly on those "rivets", and this could result in the sound you're hearing.  Also, any axial movement of the pads in the caliper can also make a noise.  Neither of these issues are liable to cause a failure.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

todd22

• CVO1: 2006 SE fatboy
Re: Brake sound
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:11:49 PM »

Thank you for the info.  I did see the floating rotor and wondered whether some play is normal.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 24 queries.