Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Best Heated Gear  (Read 4060 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Best Heated Gear
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »

Wouldn't expect them to.  They sell to HD (or any other remarketer) with specific warranty terms as part of the cost to that vendor.  The expected cost of overall warranty is built in to the price they sell to the vendor.  So expecting more wouldn't be an assumption I'd make or a request I'd consider fair to ask of them.
I didn't look at the documentation that accompanied the Harley Gerbing stuff, but the lady said lifetime warranty.

From the Harley website for the Liner:  One year limited warranty on garment. Lifetime warranty on heating elements.

I will mention that I added a second connector to my tractor last night, and wore my liner while snowblowing the driveway for an hour last night. In the single digits, this stuff is the bomb! Nice to find another use for it.  Even at 5 degrees, I only had the liner up to 3/4. I was so toasty, I didn't bother with the gloves.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:35:48 AM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »

I will mention that I added a second connector to my tractor last night, and wore my liner while snowblowing the driveway for an hour last night. In the single digits, this stuff is the bomb! Nice to find another use for it.  Even at 5 degrees, I only had the liner up to 3/4. I was so toasty, I didn't bother with the gloves.

Warm is definitely a good thing.  I still remember the warm fuzzy feelings of goodness I enjoyed when I first really started using my stuff a few years ago.  Had gone to my first Maggie Valley Gathering and when it ended Bill (WFP) and I rode from there to York, PA.  It often seems to be cold when we leave MV.  It was that year.  And it was all the way to York.  Cold enough we noticed it all day even properly geared up.

So about a month later I had the jacket liner and gloves.  Used them that winter and spring and it was great.  Made the trip 250 miles each way to St. Louis one day with temps in the teens just to fart around with the gear.

A year later in MV it really paid off though.  Last morning and heading home and it was colder than a Moderator's heart again.   Forecasts suggested wouldn't see temps out of the 20s the whole 800 miles home.  Ice all over all the bikes that morning.  But geared up, plugged in, dialed on the temps and rode quite happily all the way home.  Would've been a miserably long day otherwise.  But with the Gerbing stuff was just another great day in the saddle.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »

Man you guys are making a really hard sell.

Guess I'm taking the plunge  :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

I would go with a jacket liner over the vest for a few reasons.  One it keeps your arms warm.  Two it is easier to connect heated gloves to the jacket liner.

I would use a dual controller one side for the pants and the other for the jacket liner and gloves.

For pants I would go with the gerbing union ridge outer pants, water proof and heated.  Easy on and off.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 11:52:12 AM »

I would go with a jacket liner over the vest for a few reasons.  One it keeps your arms warm.  Two it is easier to connect heated gloves to the jacket liner.

I would use a dual controller one side for the pants and the other for the jacket liner and gloves.

For pants I would go with the gerbing union ridge outer pants, water proof and heated.  Easy on and off.

And which Gloves? or are the inserts more comfortable?
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:20 PM »

This is the stuff I have... built for Canadain winters!

http://freedomheatedclothing.ca/

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »

Does anyone use the boot-liners?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »

And which Gloves? or are the inserts more comfortable?

Have both the inserts and the G3 gloves. The gloves are better.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »

WOW! Thanks for all the input folks....

I,m thinking heated pants and gloves, but still unsure about jacket or jacket liner option. If I use the liner with my current jacket, it only has the inside jacket waterproof liner which would probably mean I would need to use my raingear. Wondering if I should just go with the heated jacket but would like to know how effective the waterproofing is on the gerbing jacket option...

jimbob

jaxx

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
    • CVO2: 2011 tri glide classic
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »

i have gerbing works great.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »

My shopping cart added up to $729.00   :o

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »

My shopping cart added up to $729.00   :o
According to Ken (Hogbreath) you've not gone over the $750 limit on accessories/modifications. ;) :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »

Thanks buddy :2vrolijk_21:

Tazman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSEU Frosted Ivory and Vintage Gold
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 09:56:24 PM »

I've been using the HD/Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for about 6 years now. Still working great. I did however get tired of trying to use the HD dual controller while riding my 08 RG. I went on the Gerbing's web site and ordered the permanent dual temp controller. I just checked Gerbing.com and it lists for $119. I took an old laptop power supply and gutted the case, drilled a couple of holes for the switches and the indicator lights and hot glued everything in place. Then sealed the case and mounted it to the left inside portion of the fairing on my 08 RG with the red 3M tape.
The permanent dual temp controller fits nice under the seat and I ran the cables up the wire tray and plugged the switches in. One switch is for the jacket liner and the other is for the gloves. The wires you connect to to your jacket and gloves comes up through the rider backrest slot in the seat and you can connect it to your gear after you get on the bike. 
It's great to be able to see the switches and actually adjust them while riding. No more fumbling with the HD controller. The permanent dual temp controller switches are also larger than the HD ones so you can actually adjust them with the gloves on!
There is enough cable that comes with the controller that you could even mount the switches in the fairing if you are brave enough to locate a spot with nothing behind it and drill a couple of holes.
I totaled out my 08 RG but managed to snarf the permanent dual temp controller setup before it got hauled off by the insurance company.
Once I get my FLTRUSE in January, I'll be installing it right away. My only problem now is that the case is black and my new RG will be the frosted ivory and vintage gold.
I attached a pictures I have of the setup on my 08.
2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory / Vintage Gold
2006 Buell Ulysses
2002 FXSTDI Deuce
1999 KTM 640 LC4
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 20 queries.