Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Best Heated Gear  (Read 4040 times)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
Best Heated Gear
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »

I'm going to need some heated riding gear for my spring treck to Alaska. I was told that First Gear were good quality, but after checking their prices, they are almost the same as Gerber. I'm thinking of getting jacket liner, pants liner, gloves for two of us, so what would be my best option for price, quality, performance, etc.?

Thanks, Jb

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Best Heated Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »

Can't beat Gerbing.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »

I'm going to need some heated riding gear for my spring treck to Alaska. I was told that First Gear were good quality, but after checking their prices, they are almost the same as Gerber. I'm thinking of getting jacket liner, pants liner, gloves for two of us, so what would be my best option for price, quality, performance, etc.?

Thanks, Jb

Think Gerber is baby food. Gerbing is what you are looking for. Best stuff hands down. They make the HD stuff so if you want to pay even more, HD will take your money. Have the gloves and jacket liner. Work great! If you are looking to hook up all that stuff for 2 up riding, be sure you have the electrical output on the bike to handle the load. Gerbing has some charts on their website to help you figure load.

td119

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »

I bought Gerbing two years ago and they are the best  :2vrolijk_21: 

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »

Gerbing has worked well for me.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »

I finally broke down and bought the Harley version of Gerbing's liner, gloves, and controller because they offered me a 25% off deal.

Tried it for the end of the year Toys for Tots run and I was amazed. It was in the mid-40's, and I had the controller down to about 1/2 and it was toasty. With the heated grips, I didn't need the gloves, and they are a little bulky, so I could have probably done without them. However, I suppose they are nice to have, if the need every arises.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »

Gerbing for me.  They make the Harley stuff.  Harley has a one year warenty and Gerbing has a life time.

Gerbing also has more choices.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »

Vest or Jacket?
Pants?
Gloves?

Which controller?

Need some help from those who have purchased..........what to get and what not to get???

Just asking... :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »

Vest or Jacket?
Pants?
Gloves?

Which controller?

The gloves are a first choice.  I'd choose jacket or jacket liner over a vest or vest liner.  You have to get the wires down the sleeves to the gloves anyway.  So might as well gain some warmth on the arms in the process.

When considering jacket liner or jacket.....  I've always had the jacket liner.  So can't make a comparison.  It and only a middle weight jacket over it are good for any temps I'll ride in.  So it's not at all bulky.  But I've often wondered if any ease of use were to be gained with just a jacket.

Heated pants I've got.  And rarely use.  Riding behind lower fairings with lined jeans and good long johns is less bulky and more comfortable than the heated pants.  And it's warm enough in temps down to 35 or so for local rides.  Especially with the heated saddle.  Much colder or more distance in those temps than and I'll use the heated pants.

As for controller you definitely want the dual controller.  Make sure Gerbing knows that's what you're planning on too.  The controller is (or at least used to be) an area where you could save a bit with the Harley branded part too.  Same part as Gerbing.  But especially after a 20% discount the Harley branded part was cheaper than buying it straight from Gerbing.  The dual controller lets you control temp of the gloves and jacket separately.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:37:05 PM by Twolanerider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »

Do you think Gerbing might honor their lifetime warrenty on the HD Branded Gerbing products?  just wondering if anyone had tried that.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:26 PM »

Going to sound odd.....I have a First Gear Jacket liner with a First Gear dual controller. I have their gloves but xl did not fit I needed xxl.

Today the HD dealer had a pair of xxl Gerbing gloves that someone ordered but they needed xl. Dealer gave me 50% off on the xxl Gerbings.

We called First Gear to see if the Gerbing gloves would work with the First Gear controller and jacket liner. They informed me that it would be no problem.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »

Going to sound odd.....I have a First Gear Jacket liner with a First Gear dual controller. I have their gloves but xl did not fit I needed xxl.

Today the HD dealer had a pair of xxl Gerbing gloves that someone ordered but they needed xl. Dealer gave me 50% off on the xxl Gerbings.

We called First Gear to see if the Gerbing gloves would work with the First Gear controller and jacket liner. They informed me that it would be no problem.

Nothing wrong with a good deal.. :coolblue:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »

Do you think Gerbing might honor their lifetime warrenty on the HD Branded Gerbing products?  just wondering if anyone had tried that.  spyder

Wouldn't expect them to.  They sell to HD (or any other remarketer) with specific warranty terms as part of the cost to that vendor.  The expected cost of overall warranty is built in to the price they sell to the vendor.  So expecting more wouldn't be an assumption I'd make or a request I'd consider fair to ask of them.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »

Wouldn't expect them to.  They sell to HD (or any other remarketer) with specific warranty terms as part of the cost to that vendor.  The expected cost of overall warranty is built in to the price they sell to the vendor.  So expecting more wouldn't be an assumption I'd make or a request I'd consider fair to ask of them.
Makes sense........with what I've heard about their products, they can afford to offer such a great warrentee, much like the Legend shocks, 'cause they don't give many problems.  Kind of nice in our environment. ;)  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »

I bought the insoles, pants, jacket, and gloves. I've been very please with them. The insoles have a high arch which takes a little getting used to, but the heat from head to toe is incredible. I've only ridden in temps in the teens so far, but I'm guessing there isn't any temp the clothing can't handle.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.