Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Average motor rebuild cost?  (Read 79739 times)

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 Cobalt Blue/Starlight Black
Re: Average motor rebuild cost?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »

If you do the labor yourself removing engine and replacing parts
lower end crank weld balance etc $1500.00
heads rebuilt cleaned up $500.00
bore w/new pistons $300.00?
oil pump ,lifters,cam plate $800.00
cams & gear drive $500.00
clutch?
misc gaskets etc?
looks like the cheap way if you can wrench a little is $4000.00 plus
more chrome goodies $$$$$$$

That's more like what I was thinking. $4000.00 isn't bad.
Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

131fun

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »

Gentlemen,

When you roll with the big dogs and buy the works, it's not just the motor that you have to buy. You have to buy new exhaust, clutch, TB, Tuner, hi-tq starter... and yes, labor for the install and tune.

Is it a lot of money? Yes! Could I have bought another bike? Yes! I think a lot of you understand that you have to pay to play. Could you get a nice build for cheaper? Yes! But my bike knows how to party...  :bananarock:

Harleys aren't the cheapest hobby in the world, you know.... There are guys who spent more than me...

I'm havin fun... 131fun!

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »

Still cheaper than a boat habit! I have that problem too!
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 06:57:10 AM »

Average we see here, (performance upgrades)is about 3500-4000. :)
Scott

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 Cobalt Blue/Starlight Black
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 09:05:08 AM »

Average we see here, (performance upgrades)is about 3500-4000. :)
Scott

Scott, is that parts & labor? Motor in and out $ ?
Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »

Scott, I have the SE 95", are the more expensive? Don't I have some sort of counter balance in this CVO motor? What motors have this and is it a seperate shaft or what??  :-[
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

131fun

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »

First, you have to decide if you are gonna go with the existing motor or get a new one. I went with the more expensive option (new motor). I don't believe you can do a 131 with a stock case. If it is possible, the entegrity of the case would be in question.

The good thing about my option is that I still have an extra motor to tinker with. I can install it on something else or sale it and recoup some money.

Spending $4k will give you a nice build, no doubt, but if you wanna have more fun, you have to spend more money.. It all depends how deep in the game you wanna go... If you think JIMS is expensive, try R&R. They have just a crank that cost more than a lot of people's entire build!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

131fun,

Hopefully you won't have the issues others of us have had with the Jim's motors.   I wish you good luck.   Whats your producing power wise?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:52:37 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

131fun

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

136hp/140tq

This is out the crate numbers. If I let Scott do some head work and change the cams then have Joe dyno it, I imagine I would be 145/145 or possibly 150/150.

I've heard stories about JIMS engine problems. They made improvements especially on the lifters where much of the issues were. I think it was the earlier motors with all the problems. The new ones are just fine as far as I know it. It's kinda one of those things like Harley had with motors up until the Twin Cam came out, which was more reliable than the earlier motors.

Scott: care to chime in on some numbers and the cost of head work on a crate 131?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 10:29:17 PM »

Its not just the early ones that had issues :(  

Those are healthy numbers for a crate motor for sure who tuned it orginally?   Were those numbers SAE or STD ?.  Doc tuned mine for me.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

131fun

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »

Those are STD numbers. Latus tune.

I heard all the bad mouthing about JIMS before I purchased it. Again, no problems. It's like anything else; once some sh&t gets said, it travels for eons... A buddy of mine rides honda, and he always tell me how much oil leaked out this week? So things become a stigma that doesn't go away sometimes. We know oil leakage is an old school problem with Harleys. Same thing with JIMS. No problems whatsoever. I had intensive conversation with JIMS before I purchased it. They knew the problems with the earlier models and they corrected them. Now being that it's a performance motor, something could break just like stuff do on a stock motor, but I don't think JIMS is crap or I'll be the first to tell you, with the money that i spent.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »

Scott, is that parts & labor? Motor in and out $ ?

Generally speaking, but each one is different. :)
Scott

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 07:05:37 AM »

Scott, I have the SE 95", are the more expensive? Don't I have some sort of counter balance in this CVO motor? What motors have this and is it a seperate shaft or what??  :-[

The counterbalancers are in Softail "B" engines.
A little more labor, and usually the balancer chain shoes need replacement as well.
Scott

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 07:07:25 AM »

136hp/140tq

This is out the crate numbers. If I let Scott do some head work and change the cams then have Joe dyno it, I imagine I would be 145/145 or possibly 150/150.

I've heard stories about JIMS engine problems. They made improvements especially on the lifters where much of the issues were. I think it was the earlier motors with all the problems. The new ones are just fine as far as I know it. It's kinda one of those things like Harley had with motors up until the Twin Cam came out, which was more reliable than the earlier motors.

Scott: care to chime in on some numbers and the cost of head work on a crate 131?

Head work, cam swap, and a t/body that can keep up with both.
Borezilla's seem to be the pipe.
Scott

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »

Those are STD numbers. Latus tune.

I heard all the bad mouthing about JIMS before I purchased it. Again, no problems. It's like anything else; once some sh&t gets said, it travels for eons... A buddy of mine rides honda, and he always tell me how much oil leaked out this week? So things become a stigma that doesn't go away sometimes. We know oil leakage is an old school problem with Harleys. Same thing with JIMS. No problems whatsoever. I had intensive conversation with JIMS before I purchased it. They knew the problems with the earlier models and they corrected them. Now being that it's a performance motor, something could break just like stuff do on a stock motor, but I don't think JIMS is crap or I'll be the first to tell you, with the money that i spent.

Glad you have no problems and wish you many trouble free miles, to bad we all didn't have that luck even with the new motor.   Although you are mistaken in regards to problems with Jims they are not a thing of the past they are unfortunately still current and real.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 25 queries.