Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Any opinions on these Samsons?  (Read 5389 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Any opinions on these Samsons?
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »

http://www.samsonusa.com/M-159.html

I had a email convo with JR from Samson- sounds like a good quality, well R&D'd exhaust. They actually have small 1.75" baffles in them, which I don't understand how these small baffles can produce such a loud, deep sound  :confused5:.

A lot would say they are too loud, but I am looking for something sound wise louder than my 2.25" fullsacs, but quieter than CFR's.

This is what I've been considering so far :

- These Samsons

- Rinehart 4" slip ons (they come with a 2.25" baffle)

- Jackpot 4" slip ons (once they come out with their performance baffle, which I believe is a 2.5")

I do like the Rineharts, but without hearing them in person, I think they may not have enough sound for me. Opinions????
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:12:03 PM by North Star »
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

harleyroadwhore

Re: Any opinions on these Samsons?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »

PUT THE 4 IN REINHARTS ON MY2011 CVO ULTRA SOUNDS DEEP , WENT THIS DIRECTION BECAUSE THEY DID NOT RECOMEND ANY OTHER FUEL OR COMPUTER ADJUSTMENTS . STAYED WHITH STOCH HEAD PIPES AND WAS ABLE TO KEEP USE OF FACT HEAT SHIELDS KEEPING THE OEM EXAUST LOOK, BIKE TOOK ABOUT 200 MI TO REALLY ENJOY SEEMS LIKE THE CONVERTER IS OPENING UP OR ECM HAS HAD TIME TO ADJUST. OVER ALL SATISFIED WITH DECISION

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »

PUT THE 4 IN REINHARTS ON MY2011 CVO ULTRA SOUNDS DEEP , WENT THIS DIRECTION BECAUSE THEY DID NOT RECOMEND ANY OTHER FUEL OR COMPUTER ADJUSTMENTS . STAYED WHITH STOCH HEAD PIPES AND WAS ABLE TO KEEP USE OF FACT HEAT SHIELDS KEEPING THE OEM EXAUST LOOK, BIKE TOOK ABOUT 200 MI TO REALLY ENJOY SEEMS LIKE THE CONVERTER IS OPENING UP OR ECM HAS HAD TIME TO ADJUST. OVER ALL SATISFIED WITH DECISION

Ya I was pretty much set on these Rineharts, but the thing is, these forums are great for researching stuff, but sometimes you can over research because on the other forum, a couple guys mentioned the Rineharts sound good at idle, but don't sound too throaty under throttle. Apparently they are quieter than the old ones.

The thing is, I've never heard the 4" Rineharts in person (no chance of hearing any on other bikes until spring), but one of my riding buddies has the regular (not 4") Samsons on his stock 2008 Ultra, and I really like the sound. They sound better than my fullsac's, and better than another riding buddy with SE slip ons (the Supertrapp ones).

The sound clip on the link I posted sounds really good to me. Plus, if the Samsons really sound that good and get away with using a small 1.75" baffle, that must be beneficial performance wise, and the smaller baffle will make better torque. And as a small added bonus, I can get these Samsons for $480.00 shipped vs $520.00 shipped for the Rineharts.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

Here is some of the info I got from Samsons-

Hello,
Our new 4" Hi Performance mufflers are very performance designed with a very free flowing design which helps in the best flow characteristics. The baffle is where it all starts with a coned inlet into the baffle with a power chamber before that to help gasses to be able to flow unrestricted. The muffler does help with off the line power and great mid range torque with high HP as well. The baffles are interchangeable as well to help with the best performance for any situation. I hope this helps answer your question.
Thank you,
JR

to be absolutely honest with you i would recommend 1 3/4" baffles. S&S the engine company and us did a lot of testing together and determined baffle placement as well as baffle diameter, pipe diameter, etc. the surprising conclusion was to stay with 1 3/4" head pipes with 1 3/4" baffles well placed until you get up to 117" engines. we have a customer of ours who has our legend series pipes on his bike with 1 3/4" head pipes but with a 124" engine and getting well over 155HP and over 155 lbs of torque. this is a very well built engine but still using stock diameter head pipes for high velocity. i do know that the larger the baffle the deeper the note but not that much increase in sound until you really get on the throttle.
thanks again,
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »

Here is some of the info I got from Samsons-

Hello,
Our new 4" Hi Performance mufflers are very performance designed with a very free flowing design which helps in the best flow characteristics. The baffle is where it all starts with a coned inlet into the baffle with a power chamber before that to help gasses to be able to flow unrestricted. The muffler does help with off the line power and great mid range torque with high HP as well. The baffles are interchangeable as well to help with the best performance for any situation. I hope this helps answer your question.
Thank you,
JR

to be absolutely honest with you i would recommend 1 3/4" baffles. S&S the engine company and us did a lot of testing together and determined baffle placement as well as baffle diameter, pipe diameter, etc. the surprising conclusion was to stay with 1 3/4" head pipes with 1 3/4" baffles well placed until you get up to 117" engines. we have a customer of ours who has our legend series pipes on his bike with 1 3/4" head pipes but with a 124" engine and getting well over 155HP and over 155 lbs of torque. this is a very well built engine but still using stock diameter head pipes for high velocity. i do know that the larger the baffle the deeper the note but not that much increase in sound until you really get on the throttle.
thanks again,

North Star they are probably not the same but i had Samson's on my old 99'RKC with a 95"big bore kit and they sounded great at idle and crusin or running hard. May have just been me but they seemed to get louder as time went on. But was never to loud for my taste. Good luck
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »

North Star,
        I went with the 4 inch Rineharts on my SESG.  Normally, I am a huge Vance and Hines fan, but wanted the look of the Black end cap that the Rineharts have, since it is very much like the factory exhaust.  I am just like you, in that, I prefer a sound that is deep and loud.  Not obnoxious, attention of the law, no baffle loud; but loud enough for me to be noisy in a crowd of other bikers so I don't have to hawk the tach to know my bike is there. 

My thoughts:
     I absolutely hate any exhaust that sounds tinny (like it's coming through a coke can).  I think the 3.5 inch Rineharts are tinny, therefore I waited to get the 4 inch ones.  The 4 inchers are deep.  They have a more "refined" sound than the Vance and Hines, but I don't think they are loud by my standards.  Every Samson that I have ever heard is definitely louder, but I have never seen a set of Samsons that I like the look of and they seem to show heat damage very easily (opinion).  Personally, I still think that I like the sound of V&H better but I am becoming accustomed to the Rineharts.  I do like the look of the Rineharts on the extended saddlebag.  I was also able to reuse the stock heat shields from the stock exhaust and therefore the Rineharts have a beefier look to them with those heat shields.  Also, I noted that the exhaust clips that you hear online, don't really accurately reflect the sound.  You really have to hear them in person. With that said, I did make a youtube video and you can check out the look and sound of my Rineharts for what it is worth: 

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »

sound a little tiny to me
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »

North Star,
        I went with the 4 inch Rineharts on my SESG.  Normally, I am a huge Vance and Hines fan, but wanted the look of the Black end cap that the Rineharts have, since it is very much like the factory exhaust.  I am just like you, in that, I prefer a sound that is deep and loud.  Not obnoxious, attention of the law, no baffle loud; but loud enough for me to be noisy in a crowd of other bikers so I don't have to hawk the tach to know my bike is there. 

My thoughts:
     I absolutely hate any exhaust that sounds tinny (like it's coming through a coke can).  I think the 3.5 inch Rineharts are tinny, therefore I waited to get the 4 inch ones.  The 4 inchers are deep.  They have a more "refined" sound than the Vance and Hines, but I don't think they are loud by my standards.  Every Samson that I have ever heard is definitely louder, but I have never seen a set of Samsons that I like the look of and they seem to show heat damage very easily (opinion).  Personally, I still think that I like the sound of V&H better but I am becoming accustomed to the Rineharts.  I do like the look of the Rineharts on the extended saddlebag.  I was also able to reuse the stock heat shields from the stock exhaust and therefore the Rineharts have a beefier look to them with those heat shields.  Also, I noted that the exhaust clips that you hear online, don't really accurately reflect the sound.  You really have to hear them in person. With that said, I did make a youtube video and you can check out the look and sound of my Rineharts for what it is worth: 

Sounds like we are both looking for the exact same sound- what you describe is exactly what I am looking for.So any regrets with your Rineharts?

PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »

sound a little tiny to me

Tinny? Really? I think they sound very deep at idle especially.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 12:52:04 AM »

Im running the 4 in 1 3/4 Samson Baffles  In my CVO Mufflers, they have a good tone and perform nicely but if your seeking earth shaking loud I would seek an alternative, The Samson baffles funnel the exhaust down gradually through an open chamber, then a perforated Funnel into a spiral 1 3/4 baffle tube,  you can get used baffles for all major Muffler Manufacturers online for next to nothing, if you have access to a chop saw and a wirewelder you can run any baffle you like in the same set of mufflers, The big 2 1/4 Rush Baffles and The Mikuni PAT baffles fitted to CVO mufflers will shake car windows on a 110. I think you will find that no one muffler can do it all, Some sound better at Idle, others when accellerating, Some when Cruising, I have also found that some mufflers that sound great on someone else's bike pulling away are annoying when your setting on top of them, I have been chasing that elusive perfect sound for many years and have mufflers stacked like cordwood its like panning for gold hoping that just around the next bend you will find a nugget.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:23:12 AM by dartman »

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »

thanks for the info, Dartman.

Can you compare your pipes soundwise to any others- Rineharts? Jackpots?
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »

thanks for the info, Dartman.

Can you compare your pipes soundwise to any others- Rineharts? Jackpots?

Sure but take everything I say with a grain of salt, I have old ringing ears from many miles with loud Mufflers, Sound is so subjective that I doubt if you will ever get a concensus as to which is the best sounding muffler. To me The Samsons are very similar to fullsac two inchers with a little deeper tone, very pleasant to my ears even after a long trip, V&H monster ovals sounded good to me for about 5 mi, then they developed a steady Drone that became like the Japanese drip torture, Rinehart Performance Baffles 2 1/2 inch are loud I started the bike after installing them and the garage door rattled, Jackpots Tuneable Baffles are quiet, even with the Insert Removed they are reasonably quiet, Their Competition Baffles  however would probably set off car alarms, I travel in other states and many of the Municipalities in the NE have enacted Noise ordinances that require an EPA stamp of approval, IMHO for all around riding its hard to beat either the OEM 4in CVO mufflers with fullsac or other similar baffles, or Screamin Eagle Street Performance 4in Mufflers With Cycle Shack Inserts  both look great on a big touring bike sound halfway decent and the modification costs next to nothing,

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »

Sounds like we are both looking for the exact same sound- what you describe is exactly what I am looking for.So any regrets with your Rineharts?

As I stated in the original post, the sound that you hear in videos is not exactly accurate.  I have noted very "tinnny" sounds from almost all exhaust that I have heard on the PC.  Do I have any regrets?  I would say, it is not exactly a regret but I would have liked for them to be louder.  I have written to Rinehart to ascertain whether their alternate baffle that they list on their site is louder.  I haven't heard from them yet.  I am contemplating doing some mods (cuts) on the baffles myself...  Haven't made that decison yet.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »

I had Sampson's on my 2005, muffler chrome turned blue after 15,000 miles.  Good sounding pipe, but i think overall for  performance and quality you have some better choices?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

Thanks for all the input guys.

I change my mind daily, so for today, I'm leaning towards the 4" Rineharts. They are guaranteed quality, performance, and if the sound isn't enough, I can always put in the performance baffles.

We'll see what I think tomorrow  :)
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 25 queries.