Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first service  (Read 1122 times)

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
first service
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:32:47 AM »

just got the bike back from the first service this evening.......
my question is , what should a first service cost?
cost here in australia just on $300 plus oil and filter bringing a grand total of $393.55
aussie dollar is now on par , so are prices similar.
i have no complaints , i get great service , in fact the service manager picked the bike up in the morning and delivered to me at home this evening

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: first service
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »

Well, that seems very costly to me as the only thing they are doing for that almost $400 is changing your oil and filter.....about 15 minutes; half an hour tops!  Now they are also hopefully carefully scrutinizing that old oil for evidence of metals from the new engine parts, and etc.  But, here is the problem as I see it:  the dealer, after you come back to the store to get your bike, tells you how long all this took to do your oil change and take care of all those issues you brought the new bike in to get taken care of like a little noise in the rear wheel, the throttle grip was sticking, a mirror bolt that has stripped out, the loose connection at the battery, etc etc etc...........what?????????  those extra items you got repaired at the first service are, let's say it together........  "warranty" items.  If you take the bike in at a separate time to get them repaired, they won't be charging you!  why do they charge us exhorbitant rates and then go into great detail about how long it took them and at such and such a rate per hour, here's how we justify our $400 ????  $125 for parts and $50 for labor (tops!!!) and they have received retail price for all they have done for us........don't forget we paid for that warranty to keep the bike in working order for the first 2 years, right??????  Why should they charge us extra for the privilege of using the warranty when we take it in for service???  However, I have never had a dealer pick up my bike and return it to me.  How small of a town do you live in???  I would agree, that is personal service, indeed and is worthy of a little extra payment.  Pork.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »

Considering that even if they actually did the entire checklist along with that oil change it shouldn't take over two hours, that $300 labor charge amounts to $150 per hour, which is up there with what my doctor charges.  At least with the doctor, he lubes the finger before he stuffs it up my ----!

This is a time honored tradition with Harley.  Screw you on the purchase, then to keep you indoctrinated they screw you at 1000 miles and then at 5000 mile intervals until you sell that one and start the process over again.  Let me ask a question.  When was the last time your car or truck manufacturer told you it was necessary to do a 1000 mile service?  Maybe 1970 something?  There is no reason to have to pay the dealer to inspect and prep it when new, then inspect and prep it again at 1000 miles.  It's BS, plain and simple.  The smart thing would be to do your own service, or find a reputable independent who will treat you like a valued customer and not a patsy.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »

no warranty work done, all running perfect, i live in melbourne, second largest city in australia, dealer is about an hours ride each way,
it is hard to complain when he will always pick up either of my bikes for any service, it does save getting there in the morning , getting a lift to work then a lift back , so i guess i just " cop it sweet " as twe say in oz 

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »

Considering that even if they actually did the entire checklist along with that oil change it shouldn't take over two hours, that $300 labor charge amounts to $150 per hour, which is up there with what my doctor charges.  At least with the doctor, he lubes the finger before he stuffs it up my ----!

This is a time honored tradition with Harley.  Screw you on the purchase, then to keep you indoctrinated they screw you at 1000 miles and then at 5000 mile intervals until you sell that one and start the process over again.  Let me ask a question.  When was the last time your car or truck manufacturer told you it was necessary to do a 1000 mile service?  Maybe 1970 something?  There is no reason to have to pay the dealer to inspect and prep it when new, then inspect and prep it again at 1000 miles.  It's BS, plain and simple.  The smart thing would be to do your own service, or find a reputable independent who will treat you like a valued customer and not a patsy.

Jerry

Yeah, but if the doctor used synthetic lube on that finger your warranty is now void.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.