Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Consensus of opinions about windshields for SERGU  (Read 8156 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Consensus of opinions about windshields for SERGU
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

OK...I've about decided I'll likely have to do something about the stock windshield, as the top edge seems to be right in my line of sight.  I could have it cut down, but am considering other options.  I have owned both Clearview and Windvest products in the past, and was happy with both of them.  I'm sort of leaning towards the Windvest at this point, as the Clearview site says something about "slightly modifying the GPS mount on the CVO" to make it fit right.  I definitely want a shield with a re-curve because from my experience, they WORK, while allowing me to see well over the top of the shield.  I've also looked at the Cee Bailey, and while I kind of like the look, it does not have a recurve, and that is a deal breaker for me.

I know this has been discussed before, and I've read stuff on the Roadglide.com site, but I want specific opinions about fitment/function on the 2011 SERGU.  Thanks in advance.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

AZMike

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Rio Red
Re: Consensus of opinions about windshields for SERGU
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »

Just received my Clearview GT Medium yesterday and will try and get it installed tonight. I'm 6ft. and needed something taller than stock as I was getting beat up because it was too low. This one is about 2 inches higher when measured from the top of the speedo/tach to the top of the shield.
It doesn't look like any modification of the GPS mount will be necessary.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »

Well, after looking, researching, and talking to the vendors, I decided to go with the new Cee Bailey for the 2011 CVO RGU in a 14".  The stock is 16", so the 14" should be just right.  There is some slight curve to the shield, so I'm hoping this will do the trick.  I got the light gray for easier viewing of what's right in front of the bike at night.  I also like their replacement mounting system, so that was another deciding factor, plus it looks pretty good on the bike from the pictures on the website.  They are having a 15% off "sale" right now too, so that sealed it for me.

I'll report back on how it works when it gets here next week, and take some pics of the bike to post.

TTS Mastertune

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »

Well, after looking, researching, and talking to the vendors, I decided to go with the new Cee Bailey for the 2011 CVO RGU in a 14".  The stock is 16", so the 14" should be just right.  There is some slight curve to the shield, so I'm hoping this will do the trick.  I got the light gray for easier viewing of what's right in front of the bike at night.  I also like their replacement mounting system, so that was another deciding factor, plus it looks pretty good on the bike from the pictures on the website.  They are having a 15% off "sale" right now too, so that sealed it for me.

I'll report back on how it works when it gets here next week, and take some pics of the bike to post.

I have the 16" version Terry, I'm 6-3 and could use another 1" taller... Going to take my Clearview GT med. to my plastics guy here in Dallas and we are going to shorten it and put more re curve in it.. may screw it up but oh well.. The pocket on the RG is smaller than the Batwing bike and you have to run a little  taller shield to get the same effect. my 16" is ok, may try it again after it warms up ,  jsut noticed more air around my temples and eyes than i liked. also installed  the air dam on the bottom of the triple tree.. made a difference...   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »

Guess I am lucky but the stock windshield if perfect for me - in fact the best I've ever had on a Harley.  If is sit up straight (like I should) I can see over it and if I want to slouch a bit I can look through it.  So my concensus is that the factory shield works just fine for me.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »

I've only got 150 miles or so on mine. Most have been on two lane roads..running 55-70 MPH. Stock shield worked fine until I hit the interstate at 80-85 MPH. Started getting some buffeting, though not near as bas as on the 09 w/o lowers. I'm thinking of going Cee Bailey's 14".
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »

Guess I am lucky but the stock windshield if perfect for me - in fact the best I've ever had on a Harley.  If is sit up straight (like I should) I can see over it and if I want to slouch a bit I can look through it.  So my concensus is that the factory shield works just fine for me.   :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry...you're built a little different from me...we're close to the same height, but I think you're just preportioned a little differently.  I can see over mine when I sit up really straight, but when I'm cruising, I see through it, and that bugs the crap out of me.  Right in my line of sight.  I'll just sell the stock one and recoup some fo my money, I hope...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »

Got the Cee Bailey's in yesterday and installed it last night.  I got the 14" Light Gray Tint for the CVO RGU.  This shield does not use the stock gasket or other hardware, but comes with it's own well nuts, washers, screws, etc.  Mine did not require any spacers between the well nuts and the shield.  The shield LOOKS good, and fits well, even though it has no gasket around the bottom.  I would think a small amount of air will enter through that gap and come over the instrument pod, but that may help a bit with the vortex created behind the shield, and the fit looks fine, even without the gasket, as it is flush with the rest of the fairing.  The material is thicker, so there should be no vibration.  Not sure about the height yet...just sitting on the bike in the basement, it seems to be in about the same place, though because of the shape, it's hard to tell.  I'll be riding tomorrow, so will report back on what I think about it overall.

Keeping fingers crossed that this one will do the trick and I won't have to swap for a shorter version...the 14" is recommended (by their rep on the phone) for 5'8", but I'm right on the upper edge of the 13", which is for 5'5" to 5'7".  I USED to be 5'8", but damned if I don't think I'm shrinking every month.

TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »

Got the Cee Bailey's in yesterday and installed it last night.  I got the 14" Light Gray Tint for the CVO RGU.  This shield does not use the stock gasket or other hardware, but comes with it's own well nuts, washers, screws, etc.  Mine did not require any spacers between the well nuts and the shield.  The shield LOOKS good, and fits well, even though it has no gasket around the bottom.  I would think a small amount of air will enter through that gap and come over the instrument pod, but that may help a bit with the vortex created behind the shield, and the fit looks fine, even without the gasket, as it is flush with the rest of the fairing.  The material is thicker, so there should be no vibration.  Not sure about the height yet...just sitting on the bike in the basement, it seems to be in about the same place, though because of the shape, it's hard to tell.  I'll be riding tomorrow, so will report back on what I think about it overall.

Keeping fingers crossed that this one will do the trick and I won't have to swap for a shorter version...the 14" is recommended (by their rep on the phone) for 5'8", but I'm right on the upper edge of the 13", which is for 5'5" to 5'7".  I USED to be 5'8", but damned if I don't think I'm shrinking every month.
Would you be so kind to post a pix along with the ride report?

Thanks
 :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »

We took a little ride yesterday into East Alabama, where the very end of the Appalachian Mountains terminate near Mount Cheaha State Park.  All together, about 200 miles or so, with speeds up to 100MPH, but mostly cruising about 65mph.  The windshield is solid as a rock...no vibrations at any speed.  Good protection at any speed, with no real buffeting that can be attributed to the windshield.  In fact, at 80-100mph, it seems to get even better with regards to pushing the wind up and over the top of my helmet.  I wear a Nolan N-102 Flip Face helmet, which has the sunshade visor in addition to the regular clear...I typically don't like the sun visor all the way down, so usually have it a notch up so that it is not directly in my line of sight but keeps the sun out of my eyes at that position.  With the stock shield, past about 60 mph, the wind would knock the sun visor down to the fully closed position...with the new Cee Bailey, that was never an issue.

It is definitely shorter than the stock shield, but the net effect is probably about an inch difference because of the way the CB is designed.  As suspected, I am right on the edge of needing the 13"...I can see over the top of the 14", but out about 100 feet or so, and if I tuck down just a bit, I'm looking through the top inch or so of the shield.  Because of the design, this is at the apex of the curve on top of the shield, so in the twisties, when you're really looking slightly off to the side of the apex, the shield does not interfere with a good view of the curve you're in.  It's kind of hard to explain...

All in all, I'm happy with the windshield....I like the looks a lot, and the wind blockage is much better than the stock shield, IMO.  I am just a little torn about whether I should go with the 13" version...like I said, I'm right on the border between the 13 and the 14", but given the design of the RGU fairing/shield, and how far back you're sitting from the shield, I think if I went shorter, it might be just a bit too short, and I'd get some top of the helmet wind that I don't want, so I think I can live with looking through the top of the shield on uphills...on level ground, I see over the top fine, just not 50' in front...more like 100'.

Just for comparison, and everybody is built a little different, I have about a 28.5-29" inseam, and I'm 5'7.5" or so.  If you're 5'7" or less, I'd definitely go with the 13" version, and if you're my height, up to about 5'10", I'd go with the 14".  I'm always right in between on everything, including my pants sizes. b :nixweiss:  Here's a few pics...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:07:39 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »

That first one is with the bike slammed with the new Legend Air Suspension, but shows the general look of the shield.  Remember, this one is specifically made for the 2011 SERGU. 

This photo shows how the fitment is to the fairing, without the stock gasket, which is NOT used on this version of the shield.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »

Another view...you can also see what I mean about how I like to wear the helmet with the sun visor a notch up from all the way down.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »

Another, a bit closer...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

Another, just for the hell of it...

TTS Mastertune

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »

Interesting windshield TC. Looks like somebody took a stock shield and modified it slightly along the same lines as a Klock Werks. I use an 8" KW for day rides and a 14" Clearview for distance riding. Course I don't do much of that anymore with the stenosis getting progressively worse, but I'm loath to part with it. The reason by the way I don't have a tall KW is that the distortion factor on a tall KW is really gnarly. Always nice to hear a report on another brand. I don't see the price mentioned. What did you end up paying with your discount ?

B B
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 20 queries.