Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Kansas House Approves Bill Allowing Motorcycles to Run Red Lights  (Read 5626 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG

Ever been itching to run a red light that just won't change? Kansas lawmakers think motorcycle riders should be able to do just that.

The Kansas House on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow bikers to run a red light if the signal "fails" to turn green after a "reasonable period of time." The proposal leaves the discretion in the hands of the motorcyclist, but is aimed at ensuring riders don't get trapped in perpetuity at intersections because of signals that either malfunction or don't detect the motorcycles.

Motorcycle riders testified this month that their bikes were often not big or heavy enough to trigger the sensors that cause red lights to switch. For fear that riders would have to choose between being stuck on the Kansas tundra or running a light and risking a ticket, they urged the legislature to approve the so-called "Dead Red" bill giving them a free pass. The riders testifying in support of the bill belonged to a group known as ABATE, or A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments.

"Cars and trucks have no problem with it, but motorcycles have always been an issue," Crawford County Sheriff's Deputy Bob Peters said, according to Fox 14. "You may be on a section or roadway where you may wait for five minutes and there may not be other traffic along to trigger the sensor."

Though Peters supported the bill, it was opposed by Kansas police organizations that want their officers, not motorcycle riders, to have the discretion. One Republican lawmaker unsuccessfully tried to strip the red-light provision, saying, "I see no skeletal remains of motorcyclists sitting at red lights that never change," according to The Wichita Eagle.

The bill passed the House Tuesday as part of a broader road safety package. The other component in the package would prohibit local jurisdictions from imposing extra fines on drivers for seat-belt violations. The bill kept the statewide fine at $5 -- that would eventually rise to $10 or $60 depending on the severity of the violation.

The language in the motorcycle bill also covered bicycle riders.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/kansas-house-approves-allowing-bikers-run-red-lights/?test=latestnews

rydwHim

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Slate
    • CVO2: 2008 XL1200C Black/Orange (wife's)
Re: Kansas House Approves Bill Allowing Motorcycles to Run Red Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »

Hmmm.  As a motorcycle rider in the great state of Kansas, I read this with mixed emotions.  I've seen far too many guys on crotch rockets doing wheel stands at 80 - 100+ mph down a two-lane road who might be tempted to abuse this.   I've sat at my share of lights and waited too. 

The Bill still has to pass the Senate. I think even if the Bill passes I'll stay parked at the red lights...just to be safe.  What would you think and do if your state passed a Bill like this?
"Always be prepared for the unexpected"
"Surprised Eddie? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now"  Clark W. Griswold

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »

Bring it on for California :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :apple:
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:55 PM »

What would you think and do if your state passed a Bill like this?

Same thing I do now.
I wait a reasonable period of time and when the traffic is clear I go.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »

Same thing I do now.

SBB

Me too...   :2vrolijk_21:    What other choice is there if you don't trigger the light...    :nixweiss:   I've even done this with a squad car sitting behind me with no repercussions...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

Me too...   :2vrolijk_21:    What other choice is there if you don't trigger the light...     :nixweiss:   I've even done this with a squad car sitting behind me with no repercussions...

I have a 110, I can't sit at a light very long.
If I do I get that "WARNING WARNING heat destruction imminent" motor noise.
I have no choice, I make sure there's no traffic and go.

:nervous:       :nervous:        :nervous:          :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »

Too many lights around here don't detect a motorcycle.  Late at night is the worst, when the chance of having a car come up behind you and trip it is slim to none.  I wait more than a reasonable amount of time, then go.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »

Tennessee has had this law for several years now.  I don't remember it being that big of a deal here and have not personally seen any abuses of the law.  Where I live most lights are on a timer anyway but there are some that are activated by magnetic sensors in the pavement.  Usually you learn the lights that are a problem and treat them as a 4 way stop,  yielding of course to cross traffic.  The first time this happened to me after the law passed, I was waiting for a left turn signal.  On the second time it didn't change for me I proceeded to turn left through the red light. Half way through my turn I noticed the city police were stopped on the other side waiting for their light to turn green.  They just watched me as I rode on through and made no attempt to stop me.  Another reason why I love the wonderful state of Tennessee!
Jesus is Lord

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:44 AM »

Bring it on for California :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :apple:

California already has a similar law I believe, something about waiting two cycles of the light and proceeding when it is safe to do so,
. It relates to the left turn lights. I think I lernt it when I was in driving school for doing 85 mph on Hwy 17.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:22:52 AM »

Same thing I do now.

SBB
Yea me too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe South Carolina passed a similar law a year or two ago. dosen't matter I'm not going to let my chit blow up just cause the " light do'nt feel me". :huepfenlol2:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:46:56 AM »

We did have this law pass down here a couple of years ago. I haven't had to use too often.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »

When I get stuck at a light that stays red I just put my kickstand down and the light detects the metal down from kickstand and turns green.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »

Wisconsin pass that law I believe in 2008. You have to wait 45 seconds,
and then you can go.
The "TAZMUN"

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »

Tennessee has had this law for several years now.  I don't remember it being that big of a deal here and have not personally seen any abuses of the law.  Where I live most lights are on a timer anyway but there are some that are activated by magnetic sensors in the pavement.  Usually you learn the lights that are a problem and treat them as a 4 way stop,  yielding of course to cross traffic.  The first time this happened to me after the law passed, I was waiting for a left turn signal.  On the second time it didn't change for me I proceeded to turn left through the red light. Half way through my turn I noticed the city police were stopped on the other side waiting for their light to turn green.  They just watched me as I rode on through and made no attempt to stop me.  Another reason why I love the wonderful state of Tennessee!

I did not know about it being a law here in TN, But after a reasonable amount of time and traffic is clear I will go ahead a run the light.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:41 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Easier than taking a right, bangin a ewey and making another right.. ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.