Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Plastic Air Baffles  (Read 7184 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Plastic Air Baffles
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »

Was playing around with windshields this weekend and decided to put the traditional chrome fork baffle on mine along with the plastic baffles just for chits and grins. with the plastic baffles on I always felt and updraft of air coming up from the front of the tank and it created turbulence behind the shield. Pulled the plastic baffles off left the fork baffle on it  and it was amazing. virtually no air coming up from  the tank area much less turbulence behind the shield. I'm thinking that the change in the faring angle really made the scoop work great and no need for the plastic ones  Won't put the plastic ones back on unless it gets smokin hot and i want more air.

My theory on this is  that the plastic ones were a hell of  of a lot cheaper than the metal scoop and probally a lot quicker to install on the line that the scoop thus the engineering improvement....and why the scoop isn't on the '11's    my .002   Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Plastic Air Baffles
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »

Was playing around with windshields this weekend and decided to put the traditional chrome fork baffle on mine along with the plastic baffles just for chits and grins. with the plastic baffles on I always felt and updraft of air coming up from the front of the tank and it created turbulence behind the shield. Pulled the plastic baffles off left the fork baffle on it  and it was amazing. virtually no air coming up from  the tank area much less turbulence behind the shield. I'm thinking that the change in the faring angle really made the scoop work great and no need for the plastic ones  Won't put the plastic ones back on unless it gets smokin hot and i want more air.

My theory on this is  that the plastic ones were a hell of  of a lot cheaper than the metal scoop and probally a lot quicker to install on the line that the scoop thus the engineering improvement....and why the scoop isn't on the '11's    my .002   Greg

You're probably right about the costs, but not quicker to install at the MoCo.  They are installed by the dealer.  They come from the factory with all of the other accessories in the saddlebags.  If you look back in this thread you'll see that some of the people that got the earlier SERGU's couldn't figure out what the extra "black plastic wings" were for that they found in the saddlebag.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »

You're probably right about the costs, but not quicker to install at the MoCo.  They are installed by the dealer.  They come from the factory with all of the other accessories in the saddlebags.  If you look back in this thread you'll see that some of the people that got the earlier SERGU's couldn't figure out what the extra "black plastic wings" were for that they found in the saddlebag.

:devil:

Got it...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Is the fork baffle part of the front forks? Or is that something you have to buy?  I was wondering if the plastic baffles did anything at all.   Thanks.    I :confused5:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:12:53 PM by cvostu »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »

Chrome Fork Baffle.  Been around for years. 

Redirects the air down towards the ground.  For sure the turbulence above the tank is greatly diminished.  However, it does send more air over the engine toward the legs.  But even in south Texas, it is a great add on.  And it looks good on the back.

Reasonably priced.  Less than $50 at the dealer.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »

OH  OKAY,,   I see them hanging on the wall all the time,.,,  they even come in chrome..  i guess they should work and send the air over the motor.  And slow down the air heading at the rider,,,    do those plastic things do anything?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:26:03 AM by cvostu »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »

Yes.  Thye help.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »

I picked up the chrome fork baffle yesterday at the HD shop for $24.95. Installed last night in 3.5 mins. I'll be testing this weekend. I do find with the plastic wings there is a lot more air between the tank and the faring than on my 05 RG with the fork baffle. There's only bout 3/16 of clearance between the fork baffle and the frame but it looks like it'll work. I would have rather had black than chrome but it's what was available at the time. I'll post a performance report later.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »

I picked up the chrome fork baffle yesterday at the HD shop for $24.95. Installed last night in 3.5 mins. I'll be testing this weekend. I do find with the plastic wings there is a lot more air between the tank and the faring than on my 05 RG with the fork baffle. There's only bout 3/16 of clearance between the fork baffle and the frame but it looks like it'll work. I would have rather had black than chrome but it's what was available at the time. I'll post a performance report later.
Don't think H-D offers the black plastic ones.  More $$$ for them in the chrome ones.  :2vrolijk_21:
Took off my plastic baffles and installed the chrome fork baffle.  Just returned from 1300 mile road trip and can't say that I can tell much difference - hard to say for sure.  But this beast sure does pump big time heat on my right leg. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

admccrea

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »

can someone post a picture of what they look like when they are installed on your RG?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »

Don't think H-D offers the black plastic ones.  More $$$ for them in the chrome ones.  :2vrolijk_21:
Took off my plastic baffles and installed the chrome fork baffle.  Just returned from 1300 mile road trip and can't say that I can tell much difference - hard to say for sure.  But this beast sure does pump big time heat on my right leg

You got that right, Jerry...I'm going to put the Fullsac system on mine in the next couple of weeks and try to cool the thing down a bit.  A LOT of heat coming off that CAT!

Back on topic...yes, the black plastic things help.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »

You got that right, Jerry...I'm going to put the Fullsac system on mine in the next couple of weeks and try to cool the thing down a bit.  A LOT of heat coming off that CAT!

My experience was that the Fullsac X-pipe didn't do much to remove the heat. Only after the X-pipe was wrapped (under the heatshields) was the heat dissipated.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »

My experience was that the Fullsac X-pipe didn't do much to remove the heat. Only after the X-pipe was wrapped (under the heatshields) was the heat dissipated.

Did you wrap the entire pipe or just certain sections of it?  And, what type of wrap did you use?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »

??? ??? ???

On my buddies 96, the Fullsac ceramic pipe made a significa :coolblue: :coolblue:nt improvement.

That said what kind of wrap did you use.

Former 1999 Road King

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

You got that right, Jerry...I'm going to put the Fullsac system on mine in the next couple of weeks and try to cool the thing down a bit.  A LOT of heat coming off that CAT!

Terry, I will be anxious to know how much that helps (if any).  Last summer (on my '07 cuse) I had Fullsac de-cat my oem exhaust and install their 1.75" baffle.  Did so because my bride complained about the loudness of the D&Ds (even with 'quiet' baffle) and I though this mod would 1) cool the stock system and 2) the new baffles would help performance but still be quieter than the D&Ds.  Worked great, ran fine and sounded OK.  But she complained mightly about the HEAT which was now on both sides with the crossover pipe.  So back to the D&Ds.  Just saying - my experience is that de-catted and opened up did not really do much for the heat.
 :jack:                  Sorry.  Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.