Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King Tour Pak - solo mount - What backrest to use??  (Read 2823 times)

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
King Tour Pak - solo mount - What backrest to use??
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:13:36 AM »

Hey guys,
My king tour pak came in yesterday, with chips in the paint and it looked like they closed the lid when the paint was still wet....so I told them I was not going to accept it. They are ordering me another. My question is after looking at it: Has anyone mounted the chopped backrest on a King tourpak? What did you do to plug the holes where the king backrest would be? I am mounting this on a quick detach solo rack and want to put something on it to finish off the tour pak.....It will not be functioning as a back rest for me as I am too short! I held up a chopped back rest pad and with some drilling, it looks like it would work. I wish they would not have predrilled all the holes! I just don't think it would look good as a solo with the wrap around arm rests.
Any suggestions?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: King Tour Pak - solo mount - What backrest to use??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »

Because I use both the solo position and the two up position racks (with the big passenger back rest) when taking one of my grandkids, I would of had to have the holes.....even if they weren't already there.

Since I ride with it in the solo position most of the time, I used stainless button head bolts to keep the rain out.  When I do use the two up passenger back rest with my grand children, I just use the two other holes to bolt it on.

Here's a link where I mention this issue long ago......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg670869#msg670869

Here's a link that shows the button heads in place....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54514.msg787409#msg787409
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »

Not sure about a chopped backrest on a king. but I have put the smooth king backrest on chopped tourpacks.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »

That looks great! Thanks for the links....very useful!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »

That looks great! Thanks for the links....very useful!

You're welcome. 

Here's a link showing it with the two up back rest (all my backrests are from Corbin).....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg664200#msg664200
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

Here's a link where I mention this issue long ago......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg670869#msg670869

Couple of questions... Is the lower pad shown in your pic with the Corbin #502 backrest also made by Corbin?  Or is it a standard HD part?  Thanks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »

Couple of questions... Is the lower pad shown in your pic with the Corbin #502 backrest also made by Corbin?  Or is it a standard HD part?  Thanks.

Yes, it comes with the Corbin backrest.

West Coast GTG   

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »

I've got the stubby antenna for the radio. Will I need to relocate this to fit the tourpack on solo?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »

I've got the stubby antenna for the radio. Will I need to relocate this to fit the tourpack on solo?

Not sure.......I have the Dakota Digital hidden antenna up in the fairing. 

West Coast GTG   

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »

It's not necessary to relocate it, but you will be forced to move it out of the way each time you shut your TP. It will also sit right up against the TP, rubbing ever so slightly. I also chose to go with the fairing mounted antennas for both FM and CB.

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »

Let me clarify, I meant relocate it from where it sits currently, back part of saddlebag on fender. Will I be able to use it in it's current location, or will I need to mount it to the tourpak? I want it to be a quick detach and want to be able to take the pack on and off easily.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »

I'm just not sure if the stubby will work without affecting anything or not.  Have you asked your dealership?

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.