Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: mapsource.....help!!!  (Read 6008 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
mapsource.....help!!!
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »

I cant figure out the mapsource at all.. Can I make my own rides/maps? I pick two points.. start/end.. But its not the roads I want. I want to pic my roads... too much technoligy!!!!!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: mapsource.....help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:53 PM »

PM me your email, I will send you a Mapsource tutorial, it is 5mb.  Great Document.

It's confusing at 1st but once you get it you won't be able to live without it.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:36:02 AM »

do yourself a favour and consider using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2011 instead of Mapsource (or rather BaseCamp as Mapsource is going to be discontinued soon). Furthermore you will detect that routes planned on pc will not be the same after beeing sent to your Garmin as only the waypoints will be transfered and the route between them will be recalculated - and in most cases changed - by your device.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »

I cant figure out the mapsource at all.. Can I make my own rides/maps? I pick two points.. start/end.. But its not the roads I want. I want to pic my roads... too much technoligy!!!!!!
Mapsource Tutorial < Click that link to get tutorial. It's for an earlier version of Mapsource then you have but the features (buttons) are the same.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:08:48 AM »

do yourself a favour and consider using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2011 instead of Mapsource (or rather BaseCamp as Mapsource is going to be discontinued soon). Furthermore you will detect that routes planned on pc will not be the same after beeing sent to your Garmin as only the waypoints will be transfered and the route between them will be recalculated - and in most cases changed - by your device.

What will Garmin be changing to/using after this?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »

Not to jack the thread, but Basecamp is so easy to use.
Al

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »

That was one of the most aggravating things I learned the first time I thought I was creating a custom route.  Get it all set up in the PC, download it to the Garmin, then find that it recalculated the route straight through Chicago instead of using my route.  The secret is adding many more waypoints throughout the route to force the device to go your way.  Of course, if you have to go through all of that you probably have the route pretty well memorized by the time you head out on your trip and don't need the GPS anyway.

Mapsource is about the least user friendly piece of software I've used in the past umpteen years.  The folks at Garmin are promoting the Base Camp software, haven't tried that yet but I probably will this summer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »

Mapsource is about the least user friendly piece of software I've used in the past umpteen years.  The folks at Garmin are promoting the Base Camp software, haven't tried that yet but I probably will this summer.

Jerry
Right you are!  I cannot understand how Garmin continues to use this chitty program for mapping.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »

Right you are!  I cannot understand how Garmin continues to use this chitty program for mapping.

Times 3! I don't even bother w/ it anymore.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »

so is everyone tryn to tell me its not worth my time and energy tryn to figure this out?....so I guess I will break out old faithful (paper map), do my ride, then its saved in the zumo...
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »

So for those with the Lifetime Maps, if they are doing away with Mapsource, what are they going to offer as a replacement?

Regarding route changing, I usually use the one tool to make the route, clicking on Point A then the final destination. Then I go back and double-click on the route with the arrow, and pull the route where I want it to go, starting close to Point A. Keep doing this near where there looks to be forks in the road, and with enough of these waypoints, it'll stick. You just have to make sure you don't leave any optional rerouting available and it works fine. The only problem is, you get reminded of approaching way points, so place then at turns, and they blend in.

My .02 fwiw, but I'm certainly no expert!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »

MapSource is a pain in the butt no doubt - but if your software for the GPS and MapSource are not on the same page, especially after updating either the the software for the unit, the software for the installed maps or MapSource itself - it will not work as you expect.

Once all your software is up to date you may still have to contact Garmin tech support to solve the route issues.

But once it is all on the same page it will keep the route you design in MapSource when you transfer to the unit.

I use MS Streets and Trips to figure out my trips because the graphics and ease of use are superior. Once I do that, I manually copy it over to MapSource to get my route.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »

What is basecamp does it.work with mapesource and garmin

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »

so is everyone tryn to tell me its not worth my time and energy tryn to figure this out?....so I guess I will break out old faithful (paper map), do my ride, then its saved in the zumo...
No.  I did not mean that at all.  Map Source works just fine once you learn it idiosyncrasies and how to make it do what you want.  I have loaded routes for numerous road trips some lasting several weeks and thousands of miles.  I break long trips down in to segments - say a day at a time or a destination at a time so they are more manageable.  Personally I would not head out for a road trip (except local area) without a pre-planned route loaded in my Zumo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »

MapSource is a pain in the butt no doubt - but if your software for the GPS and MapSource are not on the same page, especially after updating either the the software for the unit, the software for the installed maps or MapSource itself - it will not work as you expect.

Once all your software is up to date you may still have to contact Garmin tech support to solve the route issues.

But once it is all on the same page it will keep the route you design in MapSource when you transfer to the unit.

I use MS Streets and Trips to figure out my trips because the graphics and ease of use are superior. Once I do that, I manually copy it over to MapSource to get my route.

I agree with this... I think the problem some may be encountering when the GPS unit itself is "recalculating" (changing) the route when it is loaded is because the route in Mapsource has been created on a different version map then is in the GPS. The GPS itself will only have one mapset (most current update you've done) however Mapsource will have all the versions of maps that you have installed/updated. If you inadvertently use an older map to create your route when you load it into the GPS you stand a chance of it "recalculating" the route.

What I do to eliminate this is after updating and confirming the update has been successfully loaded in both GPS and Mapsource is I delete the older maps. This way when I open Mapsource I don't stand the chance of creating a route on an older version map then what is in my GPS. You can delete the older maps by going to control panel > add/remove software and delete the older versions. Deleting the older versions will also create more space on your hard drive.

Following the procedure I've just described I've never encountered a route created on Mapsource being "recalculated" when I load it into my GPS.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.