Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: POLL: SESG2 Wiring - Conform to FLHXSE2 Service Manual or "Standard Wiring"?  (Read 3061 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

Hey all -

I've had my FLHXSE2 for a little less than a week and have delved in to the kluge that HD did on wiring in the iPod that comes standard on the FLHXSE2. I'm about to change things around in order to add future accessories. Curious as to the communities opinon on whether I should re-wire the OEM iPod integration or leave it stock. If I leave it stock, it will change the wiring conformity (standard) for adding all future accessories - meaning that install sheets won't be correct, references to the 2011 Touring Models Service Manual will not be correct, and wiring for future accessories will PROBABLY not be correct. Also consider that the FLHXSE2 Service Manual is not 100% correct for the iPod wiring - so keep that in mind when voting.

I have a solid understanding now of what has changed on the FLHXSE2 wiring and I can re-wire in order to be a correct implementation for all references outside of the FLHXSE2 Service Manual. It's kind of a pain to do, but may be worth it in order to make things much, MUCH more standardized in the future. FYI - I had the dealer add some some stuff before I took delivery, went over the specifics of what needed to be changed on FLHXSE2, and they still didn't get it 100% corrrrect - so keep that in mind as well.

I have my opinion, but interested in what the community thinks is the best route.

Let me know and thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:28:13 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S

Its funny  my girlfriend says "I bet you took all your toys apart on Christmas morning to see how they work"  YEP THATS US!!  HA HA
I say do it but with specific diagrams in consideration for any future owner or the Harley service dept since they couldn't get it right anyway.

Please let us know what it is you are trying to accomplish and what you did.  We gotta know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Hey Wayne -

The goal is to fully (and properly) separate the 27B side of the radio from the 28B side. Normally they are connected via an "interconnect" harness that carrries power, ground, PTT MIC, and DSCAR Switch Matrix (IN). This is referenced in ALL install sheets and Service Manuals as "Audio Connector 6A" (it is also called the "Ultra Connector") - EXCEPT, of course, in the FLHXSE2 Service Manual. For the FLHXSE2 -there is no 6A harness. The FLHXSE2 service manual references an "Audio Connector 6A" but not only does that connector not exist - the FLHXSE2 manual only shows it carrying power and ground.

So ... in order to make the wiring correct for all references to electrical accessories EXCEPT the FLHXSE2 Service manual, the existing iPod harness/connector needs to be converted to a 6A connection. Additional existing wires will need to be back-pulled and removed. The exisitng wires that are removed are re-supplied via the NIM/iPod harness included with the accessories. I have an NIM so I have the harness, but it is available vi separate purchase. This makes the install correct per the install sheets of the iPod and the NIM, either using the non-ultra overlay or not, and makes the wiring correct for the 2011 Touring Service manual.

No matter what - in order to add CB, XM, NIM, rear pods, etc the wiring reference in the SESG2 service manual will no longer be correct. So the goal is to make the SESG2 wiring conform to all other Touring models, and let the install sheets for accessories mantain the wiring documentation.

Crazy to be so obsessive ... eh?  :)
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I'm going to convert it to standard wiring.

MODS - feel free to delete this post.
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

TIF2,

Since I don't have an SESG2, I'm not a member of the "community" so I apologize in advance for being an interloper on the subject under consideration and haven't voted in the poll.

One way to approach the issue of adding CB, rear speaker pods w/ passenger controls, etc. is to simply add the 6B connector that is not provided on the SESG2 harness.  This will allow use of the non-Ultra overlay harness (NUOH) for CB, rear speaker pods, and intercom accessories.  When the NUOH is added, the OEM 28 connector will be removed;  the wires in it for the iPod module can be removed and reinserted in the 28 connector supplied with the NUOH.  The instructions for the NIM and iPod modules, when added as accessorie, do this (i.e. add the NIM/iPod wires to the existing 28 connector) for bikes that already have a 28 connector installed.

Unless an owner plans to add CB or intercom, using the NUOH is probably harness overkill (the NUOH is seriously bulky harness to fit inside the fairing) since the only other connectors on it are for rear speakers and XM, and it would be simpler to add the necesssary connectors to the OEM 28 connector and splice the NIM harness for power and ground as others have already successfully done when adding XM to the SESG2.  Basically, this simpler approach avoiding harness overkill is what HD offers with the 69200033 harness alternative to the NUOH for folks adding NIM or iPod interface accessories on non-CVO fairing model bikes. 

In any case, good luck with your project. 

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Thanks Carl ... your input is always appreciated.

There are many, MANY ways to skin a cat :)

The FLHXSE2 is a "bastard child" for all Touring models when it comes to wiring. The H/K radio was designed to have separation between connector 27 and 28. All touring models (SESG2 exception noted) were designed to use NUOH for additional accessories, even so much as to color code connectors based on which half of the H/K is providing signals (black versus grey). The NUOH does not "create bulk" - all Touring models were designed to use it for additional accessories. All Ultras have it (even non-CVO), all FLHX models will use it (even the SESG), the new Road Glide Ultra has it integrated properly (NIM, iPOD, etc), and the FLHXSE2 should have had it (the NUOH) from the factory. It should have come pre-wired with NUOH, the NIM/iPOD harness integrated into J28, and "Audio Harness" 6A properly connected into "interconnect" 6B on NUOH, and connector 185B of the NIM/iPOD harness connected to the iPod module. NIM connector on the harness should have been capped with a sealed connector. NIM add would have been literally a "no-brainer" install, as would any other electronic accessory.

This conforms to ALL HD wiring methodolgy of ALL touring models using the Advanced H/H radio - except of course the SESG2. That is my reasoning. If I add accessories to the SESG2, I'll need to deviate from the (incorrect already) Service Manual anyway -  so why not make it the same as all other Touring models?

It was rather stupid for HD to have gone down the path they did with the SESG2. Create special wiring, special part numbers, special entries for the Service Manual (which is not acurate anyway), and to maintain all of that for the cost of providing an NUOH/iPod harness stock on the bike. Let's spend $500 to save $50. Amazes me that the guy who suggested the wiring design of the SESG2 probably got a promotion for a $5 solution - who cares that the back-end costs were an additional $495.

Anyway ... I'll post up a how-to if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:43:31 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

TIF2,

If I had an SESG2, I'd share your pain regarding the difficulties HD created by deviating from the typical audio wiring making many popular accessories a pita to add compared to the mostly plug and play installations common on those other models.

Several months ago, when a tech at my local HD store was installing XM on an SESG2, he eventually received a wiring solution from MOCO that included an email from a senior manager that reiterated that XM was a "no fit" for the SESG2.  The CB, NIM, and rear speaker accessories continue to be listed as "no fit" for the SESG2.  That may be due to the wiring issues as well as space limitations within the fairing.  Regardless, others have found ways to make them work just fine.   

I hope you will post a "how to"-type thread on the modifications you make to the SESG2 wiring to achieve your objectives. 

Carl

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.