Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Let's Talk RPM's  (Read 8373 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Let's Talk RPM's
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »

Since I got BLUU back with my 3rd motor I am very conscious about my RPM's and not loading the engine. I keep my RPM's between 2800-3200 in all gears except 6th without going over redline. I never let it drop below 2500 without down shifting. It just seems to me that the motor is working way to hard at 3000 -3200?? All I can say is this new motor is putting out power that I have never seen in the last two CVO's Ive owned. No more clacking/piston slap in this 3rd motor.Whatever they did it dropped my fuel milage but I dont care because it is running awesome!! I guess the Arizona summer will tell the tale!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Let's Talk RPM's
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

Are you saying you only use 700 rpm? :nixweiss: :shocked2:

3,000 - 3,200 is interstate cruising RPM for most of us, I would suspect.  I don't get the feeling that my 103 is working too hard in that range, but then again, it regularly sees redline, too, so it may all be relative.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »

No I keep my RPM's in all gears between 2800-3200 and if it falls below 2500 rpm I downshift and hold the motor at 3000 rpm until I can upshift to keep the motor between 2800-3000 rpms. 1st gear,2nd gear at 2800-3000 rpms seems like I'm really winding the motor but I don't want to load up the motor. Harley has stated that is the worst thing you can do to a twin cam.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »

Lugging the motor IS the worst thing you can do, but I personally don't think that happens until you drop below 2,000 RPM on flat ground.  There are exceptions to every rule, and I always downshift if I needed more throttle at 2K to climb a hill or something.  90% of the time, the bike never sees below 2500, but once broken in, will see 4-5500 pretty often.  3K is cruising speed in 6th gear, conditions permitting.  My 103, with the 5 speed, stayed at 3K or more a LOT of the time.

I've been known to hit the rev limiter a few times as well... ::)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »

DESERTBEAR54,

May I assume you are talking about a stock 110"?  There are others here who know far more than I but the stock 255 cam is certainly a "low end" cam.  I think where one keeps rpm's is a function of riding style, total weight and where the motor feels good.  If it works for you between 2800 & 3200, great!  I have the Andrews 54h and can shift at 2500.  But it's a LOT more fun to shift at 5000 (though usually between 3-4000).  Redline is now 6250.  Agree that lugging is bad... very bad.   :nervous:

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »

Being that I am on my 3rd stock motor I am alittle gun shy of operating it without it crapping out. This time my local dealer did something different but wont tell me and this motor is running extremly well. I'm sure they will tell me that being that it has Syn 3 in it that is why it broke in correctly and is running the way it is suppose to. Oh well I will enjoy it while I can!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »

Being that I am on my 3rd stock motor I am alittle gun shy of operating it without it crapping out. This time my local dealer did something different but wont tell me and this motor is running extremly well. I'm sure they will tell me that being that it has Syn 3 in it that is why it broke in correctly and is running the way it is suppose to. Oh well I will enjoy it while I can!!

LOL.  I don't envy you feeling like you need to be careful of how you ride. :nervous:  That would suck some of the fun out of it, for sure.  But I'm glad to hear you hear and feel a difference this time.  Hopefully, you'll gain some confidence in the rebuild and can eventually ride without worrying!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »

That a Big 10/4!! :2vrolijk_21: This summer in AZ and trip to New Mexico will ease the worries if BLUU keeps running like it is now!!

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »

So you think that you had the misfortune of getting two bad 110 motors back to back or your riding style of the past was to much abuse for the 110's to take? I agree lugging is bad very bad. When my wife first started riding that was one thing I was always screaming at her "DOWNSHIFT","DOWNSHIFT." She finally caught on! lol   Good luck with motor number three.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 01:54:52 PM »

Come on folks, don't start drinking the Harley Kool-Aid again.  The fairly numerous 110 failures (and the TC96 failures you don't hear about much on this site) weren't caused by people running their engines below 2500 rpm or over 3500 rpm.  Anyone who really believes that needs to sign up for a remedial Engines 101 course at the local trade school.

Some people beat the snot out of their CVO from the day they picked it up, and haven't had even one replacement engine.  And others just rode normally and have had two or three engines in less than two years.  It's all about the sorry state of affairs at H-D, not about babying the engine and keeping it in a narrow rpm band to make it last. 

True "lugging" of the engine is not necessarily defined strictly by rpm, btw.  It's more of a function of load versus rpm, as in heavy load at low rpm.  Cruising normally down a flat road at 1800 rpm is not lugging.  Doing so and then whacking the throttle open without downshifting to an appropriate gear, now that's lugging.

'bear, I understand being gun shy after all you've been through, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the ride.  Your problems weren't caused by your choice of oils, and they weren't caused by the way you ride.  They were caused by the folks at H-D who cheapened the crap out of the product and decided to accept poor quality from themselves and their vendors.  And now they want to get into your head and make you think it was all your fault.  Don't fall for it.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:35 PM »

How were you riding before?  I could never ride in an rpm range of only 400.  Is that just for the break in?

Is it possible that the dealership finally got the right flash in it??
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »

I lug the heck out of mine then i run at the rev limiter for awhile-thats the fun of it :bananarock:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »

I lug the heck out of mine then i run at the rev limiter for awhile-thats the fun of it :bananarock:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »

I agree with Jerry's comments.  I'll run mine at whatever rpm it needs but when cruising on a (fairly) level road I'll keep it to no more than 2,500.  It is just a lot less busy and noisy there.  2,000 is about my floor on how low I will go.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »

Come on folks, don't start drinking the Harley Kool-Aid again.  The fairly numerous 110 failures (and the TC96 failures you don't hear about much on this site) weren't caused by people running their engines below 2500 rpm or over 3500 rpm.  Anyone who really believes that needs to sign up for a remedial Engines 101 course at the local trade school.

Some people beat the snot out of their CVO from the day they picked it up, and haven't had even one replacement engine.  And others just rode normally and have had two or three engines in less than two years.  It's all about the sorry state of affairs at H-D, not about babying the engine and keeping it in a narrow rpm band to make it last. 

True "lugging" of the engine is not necessarily defined strictly by rpm, btw.  It's more of a function of load versus rpm, as in heavy load at low rpm.  Cruising normally down a flat road at 1800 rpm is not lugging.  Doing so and then whacking the throttle open without downshifting to an appropriate gear, now that's lugging.

'bear, I understand being gun shy after all you've been through, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the ride.  Your problems weren't caused by your choice of oils, and they weren't caused by the way you ride.  They were caused by the folks at H-D who cheapened the crap out of the product and decided to accept poor quality from themselves and their vendors.  And now they want to get into your head and make you think it was all your fault.  Don't fall for it.

Jerry 

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Jerry, so good to sit and read a post of this quality from you again. You had a run where I thought you were giving up on being the best technical poster on cvoharley.com. It's great to see the real Jerry back  :2vrolijk_21:

B B
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.