Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Is the Economy on it's way up Or out  (Read 4100 times)

hogasm

Re: Is the Economy on it's way up Or out
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »

the economy here in north dakota is booming due to the oil boom that's going on right now , however we're having our share of growing pains.
for example our city's populations are on the rise and the infrastructure is not keeping up, schools are crowded, roads are in terrible shape, crime's is on it's way up, housing is extremely tight,prices are going up to reflect wages in the oil patch and if you don't work in the oil industry,well you're slowly going broke.
oil money is filling up state coffers but it'll take time to fix all the problems that come with all the prosperity.
my little home on the range ain't nothing like it used to be.
oh well i guess that's progress.

Hope your counties don't do the stupid spending like ours did when things were going good. People moved in in droves and our infrastructure could not keep up. We built schools that would sit two times the number of kids that were enrolled and our police and fire departments bought new vehicles every year and started new divisions within their departments like mad. Now we don't have enough kids to fill 25% of those earlier filled seats. Our taxes are going through the roof to help pay for all this new equipment and unnecessary manpower. Houses are being foreclosed on in record numbers and the taxes on those houses are not being paid, so the burden falls on those of us that were fortunate enough or did not fall into that stupid frivolous spending that so many did and lost it all.

Good luck with your growth :2vrolijk_21:

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »

hey willymax4
                  I heard somewhere that sometimes if there's oil under your property and the oil companies have a lease near you, they will drill at an angle to get your oil for free. Any truth to that ?

B B 
can't say for sure but a guy would think there's something in place to keep that from happening

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »

hey willymax4
                  I heard somewhere that sometimes if there's oil under your property and the oil companies have a lease near you, they will drill at an angle to get your oil for free. Any truth to that ?

B B  

Not unless their lease includes your property. Prior to drilling the oil companies must record all surface co-ordinates along with est total depth & est bottom hole co-ordinates. When drilling is completed the surveys & co-ordinates are registered with the state. If the expected oil producing zone runs under your property they would have already have leased your property. They do not have to notify you of intent to drill or drilling activities unless they are on your property.

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »

23% of the houses in FLA are empty. Friend of mine bought a $230,000 house 4 mi from the Gulf for $98,000

Seems to me if the friend bought the house for $98,000.00 then the friend bought a $98,000.00 house. Just sayin.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »

Seems to me if the friend bought the house for $98,000.00 then the friend bought a $98,000.00 house. Just sayin.
I think your right Cobb, as I was explaining even though a deal looks good on a house, check the neighborhood out, if your neighbors have grow liights and tin foil on their windows, they are not hiding from aliens.

If that doesn't bother you then make close friends with them you may get the experience of a lifetime.  A short one.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »

I agree with it is all perspective.  I think there are some definite positives, GM looked as if it was going out of business and now has payed off the government loans.  That had to save a ton of jobs and a huge negative impact on the folks in Michigan.  

FALSE, they lied......GM did not pay off their loans
They used Tarp Money (our Money) to pay off some loans

That was a big crock of BS

* Of the $42.6 billion in cash and marketable securities available to GM as of September, 30, 2009, $17.4 billion came from an escrow account with Treasury,

* $6.7 billion of the escrow account available to GM was allocable to the repayment of loans to Treasury,

* $5.6 billion in cash would remain in the Treasury escrow account following the repayment by GM of their loans, and

* Upon repaying Treasury, any balance of escrow funds would be released to GM.

Therefore, it is unclear how GM and the Administration could have accurately announced yesterday that GM repaid its TARP loans in any meaningful way. In reality, it looks like GM merely used one source of TARP funds to repay another. The taxpayers are still on the hook, and whether TARP funds are ultimately recovered depends entirely on the government’s ability to sell GM stock in the future. Treasury has merely exchanged a legal right to repayment for an uncertain hope of sharing in the future growth of GM. A debt-for-equity swap is not a repayment.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:21:47 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »

* Of the $42.6 billion in cash and marketable securities available to GM as of September, 30, 2009, $17.4 billion came from an escrow account with Treasury,

* $6.7 billion of the escrow account available to GM was allocable to the repayment of loans to Treasury,

* $5.6 billion in cash would remain in the Treasury escrow account following the repayment by GM of their loans, and

Therefore, it is unclear how GM and the Administration could have accurately announced yesterday that GM repaid its TARP loans in any meaningful way. In reality, it looks like GM merely used one source of TARP funds to repay another. The taxpayers are still on the hook, and whether TARP funds are ultimately recovered depends entirely on the government’s ability to sell GM stock in the future. Treasury has merely exchanged a legal right to repayment for an uncertain hope of sharing in the future growth of GM. A debt-for-equity swap is not a repayment.

Sorry Keats did not mean to strike a nerve.
Just saying the fact that GM is still here, and the jobs are still here, along with all the supplying vendors and associated jobs that go with that are still here is better than where we were headed.  I am sure most of us have some disagreements with how our tax dollars are spent, but for me personally when they are spent for anything in our United States I can swallow that.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »

Sorry Keats did not mean to strike a nerve.
Just saying the fact that GM is still here, and the jobs are still here, along with all the supplying vendors and associated jobs that go with that are still here is better than where we were headed.  I am sure most of us have some disagreements with how our tax dollars are spent, but for me personally when they are spent for anything in our United States I can swallow that.

No harm, No foul

Just have a problem with the lies coming out of corporate America at times, especially when it is on our dime.

I am in favor of supporting home grown industries.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 12:02:43 AM »

I can see their are a lot of smart people here, I'm looking forward to their comments

2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

charlie

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »

I work for myself and jobs come in spurts, It runs hot for a while then it runs cold, I would be happy with steady.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »

True....True......

My Mom sold her house (really a fixed up beach shack in a demand area) in Bradenton, FL in 2006 for $310,000.  It's boarded up and for sale for $66,000 now.  Values were overinflated throughout the state and she was lucky enough to be able to cash out some good equity.  Since Florida is God's waiting room the properties turn over quicker and there is always demand.  It'll recover quicker than Las Vegas will.

I'm working to reduce debt before I contribute greatly to the economy by spending wildly.  It's the same a lot of businesses are doing by sitting on their cash instead of hiring and expanding.  That makes the stock market look good but translates to slow economic growth.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:44 AM »

To answer the original question I see the economy being flat.
Some people and businesses are doing fine and some are not.
I'm trying to help with my latest purchase.
Not sure how that's working but I feel better.

;D

SBB
I would agree with your assessment.  I think its not getting better just staying flat.

Depends on where you are and what you do on weather you think it is getting better or worse.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »

For me it has gotten worst. As a commerical plumbing and site utilities contractor I am seeing fewer and fewer jobs out for bid. Almost all involve some government money. City buildings, schools and churches. My biggest issue is a lot of people are taking these jobs at or below cost. They are trying to keep their crews working. I won't stay in business long if I give in to these ideologies, pockets too shallow right now. Just trying to ride it out, but it's looking like a long ride. :nervous: :nervous: :drink: :drink: :drink:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »

I am with you, I do not like the un truths being reported about this. 

Seems everyone believe it is all paid back, when that is far from the truth.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »

You cannot have sustained economic growth when you continue to print money.  It is impossible to grow an economy ridden by the national debt and spending habits created by government.  Interest rates will stay down only because they have to be held down or we would default as a government.  This means, that everything we have worked hard to accumulate as assets will continue to go down in value!  Think about this, the majority of people that are responsible for driving our economic growth for decades, hard working, career minded, maybe or maybe not educated people productive in society are worse off financially today than they have ever been.  Everything we have worked hard to accomplish is worth less.  On the other side, people that may not have alot have nothing to lose and every incentive to spend foolishly and put themselves in the same predicimate..  WERE SCREWED!~
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 24 queries.