Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?  (Read 15529 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »

Well you get what you get and there are many variables that influence wear. I ride on my tires and you on yours. Personally the money is not that important since I love this hobby so much. I enjoy turning the rear of the FatBob into blue smoke at the light so 7K is plenty. I like to see more than that on the Road King.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »

we are an elderly couple riding very decently, no burn-outs  ;)

But as we got some really enjoyable mountain-sites around us we use up those Dunlops (both) at some 7-9.000 m with the new frame and ABS.

With the old bikes we got around 8.000 m on rear and 16.000 m on front (Dunlop-) tyres.

But I must admit as our country can be rain-soaked we never go anywhere near the limits  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »

Kraut I like that never going near the limit thing. One slip down is to many.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 10:27:32 AM »

Same problem here 9000 mi on the rear with tons of tread left but cupped to chit.  Is this just a Dunlop problem?    Or maybe an issue with the new platform?

I can't help but wonder if it's a "balance" problem.  With various brands I've used over the years.....I'll get good wear out of two or three then one will cup really bad.  It's happened with all the brands.  Is it a bad wheel balance?  I know that once they start cupping, there's no stopping it.

I've experienced the same but not as often.....with a tire wearing more on one side than the other.  I had a dealership try to tell me a few years ago that it's because they're laying the roads with a higher center crown. :zstupid:  Funny thing is, it hasn't happened to any of the tires since.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »

I can't help but wonder if it's a "balance" problem.  With various brands I've used over the years.....I'll get good wear out of two or three then one will cup really bad.  It's happened with all the brands.  Is it a bad wheel balance?  I know that once they start cupping, there's no stopping it.

I've experienced the same but not as often.....with a tire wearing more on one side than the other.  I had a dealership try to tell me a few years ago that it's because they're laying the roads with a higher center crown. :zstupid:  Funny thing is, it hasn't happened to any of the tires since.  :nixweiss:

The crowns of the roads are sinking and now are laying flat.

FXDF_Rogue

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »

Replacing my stock tire on my FLHXSE2 this weekend with less than 9,000 miles of mostly freeway riding.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty disappointed with the tread life of the stock tires on this and my FXDF as well. 

CVO King

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »

2011 FLHXSE2 replaced both front & rear at 22K still had a few K left but why push it to the max?

TheDawg

• MO

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »

I got 15K out the tires on my 09 SERG.  I was happy with that since I ride pretty hard.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »

15,000 on the rear of my SERG as well- still lots of tread left, but it was cupped, so I just replaced it with the OEM.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »

1st rear, 16K, 2nd at 19K (nail), 3rd at 34K.  Felt safe on the 3rd, but was leaving on a 1200 mile trip.  Never showed any wear bars.

Still have the original front at 36K   :o  No cupping and plenty of tread left. 

I don't do burnouts, but ride the bike pretty hard.  ("How'd that imprint of a tire get on the sidewalk in front of your office?).  Usually I do 2 rears to a front.  Don't know why this one has lasted this long.  ???
Spada84
NoSofa!

Christian

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 04:35:39 AM »

I got about 11,5tkm (= 7k miles) and the rear was down.
No burn outs, but heavy riding on Autobahn (always above 110mph). It´s a fast bike ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »

1st rear, 16K, 2nd at 19K (nail), 3rd at 34K.  Felt safe on the 3rd, but was leaving on a 1200 mile trip.  Never showed any wear bars.

Still have the original front at 36K   :o  No cupping and plenty of tread left. 

I don't do burnouts, but ride the bike pretty hard.  ("How'd that imprint of a tire get on the sidewalk in front of your office?).  Usually I do 2 rears to a front.  Don't know why this one has lasted this long.  ???
Hey Spada, I think the tire-fairy slipped in and swapped out that rear tire for a brand spanking new one while you were sleeping.  :zzz: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BTAman

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »

I got 11K out the back tire on my 09 SERG.  It wasn't quite down to the wear bar but since they were already working on my bike I had them change it out just to be safe. My front tire was replace under warranty at 5K for the cupping issue.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »

I got about 11,5tkm (= 7k miles) and the rear was down.
No burn outs, but heavy riding on Autobahn (always above 110mph). It´s a fast bike ;D

breaking wears the tires more than accelerating  ;D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »

Jerry/MD, I think tire mileage has a lot to do with where you ride. My friend has a 2001 Heritage and regularly gets 15k out of the rear. He rides about 70 miles per day on the freeway to work and back, and sometimes we cruise thru the Santa Monica mountains. My first bike, 1995 Heritage which I now ride locally only, will barely get 10k from the rear, but always 20K from the front. I ride a combo of mountain roads and freeway. This also has an effect on brake pads. I crank it on when I get on the freeway and I don't drop gears when coming to a light on surface streets. Sometimes I ride it easy and sometimes I ride it hard. On my 09SEUC I hate to admit I only have 9k miles on it and both tires still look really good, but If I get 15K out of the rear and 20K out of the front I will be happy. I check the tire pressures at least twice a month on both bikes, and if they are off it is usually by only a pound or two. I have never met anyone who got 20K out of a rear tire on a Big Twin, but of course I believe what the guys on the site have posted. One of the guys on the site who is local to me just switched to Dunlop American Elite (not Elite 3 ) I will be checking in with him after a while to see what kind of tire mileage he is getting.  JMHO. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.