Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter issues after cam swap 103"  (Read 5296 times)

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Starter issues after cam swap 103"
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »

My upgrade of an '05 103" is turning into a nightmare.  As I said in a previous post, I upgraded to Redshift 575 cams along with the new camplate/oil pump.
The starter acts like it is straining really hard to turn the motor over, especially cold.  And more and more when hot.  It's been 3 years on the battery so I replaced it with an HD unit.  Same issue.  But at other infrequent times it fires right off when I punch the button.  It doesn't sound like gears are grinding but more like it's under incredible strain.  Then on the next push of the button it sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging the pinion.

My local HD did not have a HiTorque starter in stock, so I have to wait.  I've been reading about other 103's that have starter issues and many talk about compression.  Also something about hydraulic lifters being bled down and not opening the valves creating unnecessary compression at startup?

My builder did something different and put the se hydr. lifters in with solid pushrods.  Would that be causing the starter issues?  Even still, I do really hate the tapping and clanking when I do start it.  It finally quiets down after riding a bit and the oil heats up.

I read an idea from another post, and that was to simply loosen a spark plug and see if the motor cranks easier.  I suppose it doesn't really identify a weak starter.....   I also will inspect the + and - lugs on the starter.

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Starter issues after cam swap 103"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

Removed 1 plug, made no difference.  Sound is like an electric drill makes as it loads up while driving in a lag bolt.  As it gets loaded up the most, then I'll get a revolution or two out of the motor.  Definately is getting worse.  At least the starter isn't too expensive to replace. 

If money was no object, and I loved throwing it away, I'd have them put stock cams back. 

Here's something I thought of.  On my bill the tappet/lifter number is 18538-99B for $32.95   Just what version is this?  Certainly doesn't look like SE.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »

I had the same issue, replaced my battery cables with Sumax and the dealer cleaned the Starter solenoid contacts.  I also had them check the starter ring gears for chipped teeth (none found) and had them replace the starter ring gears with the Compufire. No kick back or hard starting issues now and starts on the first push of the starter switch. 
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=55854.0;all
Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

uscanuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »

Not sure what to tell you about the other issues but Part #18538-99B is just the standard B lifter as far as I know.  

I had to replace one a few weeks back when I did a cam swap.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »

if you could wrench a little yourself it would be easier. id put the adjustable pushrods,sumax cables and ring gear. if you lived closer id help. :bananarock:
http://www.compufire.com/harley-main.html
http://www.stick2gether.com/battery_cables.html
im using the fueling lifters and s/e tapered adj pushrods runs super quiet no top end noise
 when in doubt call hd dude at metal dragon 510-510-885-9471
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:10:22 PM by hd-dude »

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »

Same year and motor with the same cam upgrade and eventually the same problem.  Changed the starter ring gear (Rivera) as I had a couple of chipped teeth and shimmed the pinion gear so it would engage sooner.  Upgraded my cables to "Yoopers" which adds a second ground.  Problem solved.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

Not sure what to tell you about the other issues but Part #18538-99B is just the standard B lifter as far as I know.  

I had to replace one a few weeks back when I did a cam swap.

:2vrolijk_21:
P/N 18538-99B is the stock lifter for Twin Cams, MSRP $29.99 each.  The SE lifters for Twin Cams are P/N 18572-07, MSRP $269.95 for a set of 4 ($67.49 each).

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evostroker

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:09:35 AM »

sounds like you need a starter clutch..It will slip and not turn the motor over,but still drags down the starter..not a big deal to change.. I wouldnt spend big money on a high torque starter until I tried a new clutch. Travel limiters are mandatory IMHO . You will need adjustable pushrods to make them work. 

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:32:39 AM »

I didi the 103 to my 03 roadglide with 10.5/1 compression had some issues and ended up replacing my battery, regulator and a 50 amp breaker which started triping after the other parts were replaced.  works great now. try the battery first.

Later
John

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
P/N 18538-99B is the stock lifter for Twin Cams, MSRP $29.99 each.  The SE lifters for Twin Cams are P/N 18572-07, MSRP $269.95 for a set of 4 ($67.49 each).

Jerry

JUST SAY NO TO THE SE LIFTERS ....
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:36:33 AM »

Sounds like starter clutch to me.  Replaced mine with this: http://www.mesmotorcycle.com/register.htm  it has a lifetime warranty too.  Didn't really have too many miles on mine when it went out either.
Steve

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »

The lifters you got are the ones most here will recommend. And most will recommend not using SE lifters - although many will say "stay away from SE lifters" without giving you the reason - Harry???

I had the same issues starting my 103 - before the cams. I never changed the cables as many recommend, but if I ever have a reason to I would either make my own out of a heavier gauge or use the Suamx cables.

I changed my ring and pinion for two reasons:
  • I had 3 chipped teeth on the ring gear
  • the Rivera/Compufire kits offer a better ratio for starting

I also changed the starter pinion parts with the kit sold along with the ring and pinion.

Redshift 575's are noisy. Mine rattle a bit especially between 2200-2800 rpm.
Hogasm has the same result with the same cams in Kathy's 05 SEEG.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »

Sounds like starter clutch to me.  Replaced mine with this: http://www.mesmotorcycle.com/register.htm  it has a lifetime warranty too.  Didn't really have too many miles on mine when it went out either.

I don't know of a better starter clutch and warranty package but I would definitely consider this clutch when doing any motor build. I had similar problems when I installed a 131" motor and went to a MEC starter clutch and never had one problem with my starter after.....I doubt there are very few that will have to use the lifetime warranty.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.