Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Anyone go over 120MPH?????  (Read 20985 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Anyone go over 120MPH?????
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »

True that.. not sure how many of us would even want to run 120mph for miles and miles. I'd say that should be reserved for tracks and not the open roads. However, there's always that wondering about how fast can it go and how fast will you allow yourself to go.

Usually, at least once will try to "top out" whatever vehicle I get.  Just to see what it does.  The older I get, the more I realize this is not always a great idea.  Sometimes the vehicle (HD is a good example especially older HDs with front ends hopping all over the place)  has issues at a certain speed so that pretty well tells ya it's time to back it off. Track much better than open road.  Out west there is so much open road not such a big issue as in more inhabited areas. 

Frankly, if I had a desire to ride north of 100 mph on a regular basis, for whatever reason, it sure as hell would not be on a HD.  You can get a lot more speed for a lot less money from several other brands.  I enjoy HD bikes for what they appear to be built for - cruising.  Also like to take them through the twisties at a pretty fair clip & all but no way can they hang with a bike built for that kind of riding, either.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »

I have run wide open across Montana before they had a speed limit on my 2002 modified Deuce. The speedo hits a built in peg way before the bike gives up acceleration. Didn't have a GPS so can't say how fast I was going. I passed everyone including a BMW. He speed up to run with me for probably 60 miles or more. When we stopped for gas he told me he followed me in because he had never been passed by a Harley at that speed before and just wanted to look at it. After a brief looking over he said; "$hit! and it doesn't even leak anywhere."

We became friends, and later I learned he had just retired from Harley Management. After 40 years with the moco he didn't own a single harley. He had BMWs and several rice rockets he ran at the race track. He passed away at the track during a test run warming up for a race. Evidently the bike went down on him on the track and he didn't make it. RIP Claud, you will long be remembered.

jimbob

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

The speedo hits a built in peg way before the bike gives up acceleration. Didn't have a GPS so can't say how fast I was going.jimbob
And what speed on the speedo (approx) did it hit the built in peg?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »

The problem with running at speed for extended durations is that your chances of the unforeseen sucker punching you increase exponentially with each passing mile. I've ridden coast to coast many times and on every trip, there was that piece of truck tire I didn't see coming or some other item of debris in the road that I didn't dodge in time. At 75 these things are scary enough, at 120+ they're likely to be fatal. I am as much a speed junkie as anyone. At one point in my life I was labeled a "Habitual Offender " for speeding violations in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Drove around on a daylight provisional work license for a year and paid big bucks for insurance for several more. It's fun but it can be real dumb too. Given that automobile mfg's and motorcycle mfg's build improved vehicles with better suspension, faster engines etc etc every year, it seesms that some state government could make themselves some money by creating a toll highway about 50 miles long with no set speed limit. Lots of details would be entailed to do so, but wouldn't it be great if you could pay say $10 and just crank it with no concern for the long arm of John Q Law ?  Anyway, as stated before, it's great to go fast and we all love it but don't ever forget SPEED KILLS !

B B

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »

I am as much a speed junkie as anyone. At one point in my life I was labeled a "Habitual Offender " for speeding violations in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Drove around on a daylight provisional work license for a year and paid big bucks for insurance for several more. It's fun but it can be real dumb too.SPEED KILLS !

B B
And, did you ever imagine back then that one day you would be the 'voice of reason' ???  :-\ :nixweiss:  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »

it seesms that some state government could make themselves some money by creating a toll highway about 50 miles long with no set speed limit. Lots of details would be entailed to do so, but wouldn't it be great if you could pay say $10 and just crank it with no concern for the long arm of John Q Law ?

B B

Damn Brian.  You are freaking brilliant.  I'd never thought of it in just those terms before.  But it's an American Nürburgring.  Set up by some state with appropriate legislation establishing Tort immunity.  Not just the salt flats.  But an actual track with everything a good road course should have.  A totally awesome idea!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »

All kinds of chit can hurt at 120+. I have taken a lot of bugs to the face in shorty and goggles but would really hate to see a bumble bee to the forehead at 125. Heck it might take you off the bike. I never hold wide open for any time I just get there and back down fearing all kinds of chit.

Hypothetically speaking do they allow any old moron to run the toll road with you? :nervous: When I ride the roads like the Dragon, US129 it's not the asphalt I fear.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »

fearing all kinds of chit.

Hypothetically speaking do they allow any old moron to run the toll road with you? :nervous: When I ride the roads like the Dragon, US129 it's not the asphalt I fear.
whoa... :o....some of us resemble that remark.  ??? ::) :P har.  spyder

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »

whoa... :o....some of us resemble that remark.  ??? ::) :P har.  spyder

DITTO !

B B

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »

DITTO !

B B
Now let's calm down you two spiders. :huepfenlol2: Going fast under control is different than wild disregard for others. If a guy stays in his lane and does not hit me I'm cool. Haven't you ever had a bike over the center lane facing you? Those are the types I'm concerned about.

Let's go fast and live. :carrot:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »

Now let's calm down you two spiders. :huepfenlol2: Going fast under control is different than wild disregard for others. If a guy stays in his lane and does not hit me I'm cool. Haven't you ever had a bike over the center lane facing you? Those are the types I'm concerned about.

Let's go fast and live. :carrot:

Spyduh, you gonna let him know what not calm is like or should I ?

And yeah, I've been center punched twice, once on a bike and once in a car.

I know real well what it looks like to see the grill of a car pointed straight at my headlight on MY side of the road.

B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

Am dreaming about the no speed limit American Autobahn...  

Some state like Wyoming or Texas might do this if they knew they could make big bucks.  Liited access toll road with only so many vehicles allowed in per minute.  

Damn fine idea!  Would need a gas station at both ends if 50 miles long.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »

Some state like Wyoming or Texas might do this if they knew they could make big bucks.  Liited access toll road with only so many vehicles allowed in per minute.  

I'd go.  That'd be a destination trip for me.  Out in the west Texas hill country for at least three and a half season comfortable use on a bike.  It'd support a couple new hotels and restaurants in the area immediately around it.  So the "trickle up" effect would be an expansion of the local economic base first to the state and then to the whole country.  One little track like this could cure the whole damned recession.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

Thanks, do I get royalties if this idea takes hold ?

Hate to say it but prolly an EMT station and a full service towing business in the middle as well

Full leathers, full face helmets and those whatchamacallit Heims devices req'd too.

B B  

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »

Thanks, do I get royalties if this idea takes hold ?

Hate to say it but prolly an EMT station and a full service towing business in the middle as well

Full leathers, full face helmets and those whatchamacallit Heims devices req'd too.

B B  
Put state troopers with radar guns at designated points to measure your speed for a fee. A requested service fee rather than a penalty fee. :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.