Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Supertrapp Fatshots on my CUSE2  (Read 7766 times)

guitarider

Supertrapp Fatshots on my CUSE2
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »

Well I took my first plunge into Harley modding by taking of the CFR Racing Pipes on the "Black Beauty" and replaced them with Supertrapp Fatshots, 10 discs and end caps.  What a difference.  I know many of us like loud pipes but these sound great.  Good Rumble sound but I can hear the stereo, the engine and t is a VERY comfortable ride.  The pipes matched up fairly well to the the headers on the bike (I dont knwo if they are CFR otr V&H true duals, the dealer who sold the bike to me couldnt recall.  Anyway the right side went on no issues.  The left one is loose and I cant get the clamp to tighten down.  I noticed this after a 5 mile test ride, got home and found the left side pipe had "walked backward.  Probably lucky I didnt drop the pipe.  From other posts it sounds like the Torca clamps are a one and done deal.  I will be buying new ones next weekend.  Will replace the one on the right side as well.  Other than that a great setup. WIll post pics of the new ride and pipes when I am done.   Next stop..... LED lighting!! :orange:

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Supertrapp Fatshots on my CUSE2
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »

:worthless:

Let's see picts... ! I have a BIG BLUE 2011.5 ordered, and I am thinking Dresser Duals, but not settle on the mufflers.  These are adjustable and here is how:

I have the same set up, only I modded it.  You take the taper out and machine it on a belt sander, to open it out to 2", take it and turn it around, with the discs out and black trim ring gone...  Then there is NO BLIND SPOT, they can hear you and FEEL you..  It looks good to, IMO..

Here is the stock piped outlet about 40mm, with discs and funnel down restriction......  Then the picture of it with discs removed, and it opened opened up to 50mm and turned around to act like trombone trumpet end.  And yes it is LOUD...  But I rode with 22 on saturday, 300 kms, and they LIKED IT and no one behind me (I asked) thought it was too loud... I asked because I could put a couple of discs back in...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:55:27 PM by Cowboy2 »

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »

First picture did not load, here is the stock set up..  Below in this post...

And in the picture above, the trumpet inside part marries up to the 2" inside holed baffle the discs re-direct a part of the flow through... Only now it is a 2" straight shot out.

hornhonker

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »

I just put a set on today, and was surprised that it was straight through open end so the disks can't be doing much. I don't have the cat so it is rather louder than I had anticipated. I also ordered the 12 disk/closed end kit so will play some.
2010 Ultra Limited SE110ci
90 Honda ST1100

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

the discs in these mufflers are not functional,the only adjustability with them is run the cone or not. if the cone is not utilized they are stupid loud.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »

Like the look! Nice mod.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »

:worthless:

Let's see picts... ! I have a BIG BLUE 2011.5 ordered, and I am thinking Dresser Duals, but not settle on the mufflers.  These are adjustable and here is how:

I have the same set up, only I modded it.  You take the taper out and machine it on a belt sander, to open it out to 2", take it and turn it around, with the discs out and black trim ring gone...  Then there is NO BLIND SPOT, they can hear you and FEEL you..  It looks good to, IMO..

Here is the stock piped outlet about 40mm, with discs and funnel down restriction......  Then the picture of it with discs removed, and it opened opened up to 50mm and turned around to act like trombone trumpet end.  And yes it is LOUD...  But I rode with 22 on saturday, 300 kms, and they LIKED IT and no one behind me (I asked) thought it was too loud... I asked because I could put a couple of discs back in...

Hey Cowboy I like that reverse look without the Black trim ring.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »

the discs in these mufflers are not functional,the only adjustability with them is run the cone or not. if the cone is not utilized they are stupid loud.

Not true. The discs do change they flow in these pipes. More discs = more flow, less back pressure. You can achieve about the same amount of flow with more discs and a closed end cap as with fewer discs and an open end cap. The difference is the volume of the pipe.

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »

i'm under the impression the way a super trap works is to have a closed end cap and shims between each disk allowing exhaust to flow between the disks. the fat shots have an open end cap and no shims allowimg the exhaust to exit  directly out the back of the muffler. the fatshots appear to have no tunability while the super traps look like they can be tuned by adding or removing discs.
 i'm running fatshots on my bike right now and i suppose by adding discs you would increase the volume of the muffler but would a few discs really make that big of a difference?
by the way, getting back to the original post, the way you've reversed the end cap is a lot better looking than the stock configuration.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:56:52 AM by willymax4 »

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »

The Supertrapp difuser discs have spacing built in.  No "shims" are necessary.  So.....as you said, more discs= less backpressure/more noise and less discs= more backpressure/less noise.  Also(mostly for you dirt bike riders) did you know that a supertrapp with closed end cap is always a usda approved spark arrester?
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

hornhonker

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »

The Supertrapp difuser discs have spacing built in.  No "shims" are necessary.  So.....as you said, more discs= less backpressure/more noise and less discs= more backpressure/less noise.  Also(mostly for you dirt bike riders) did you know that a supertrapp with closed end cap is always a usda approved spark arrester?

What a relief ! I put an end cap on mine last week so now I can safely tour all those logging roads and back trails  :apple:
on my bagger !!!!
90 Honda ST1100

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »

Honker:  don't forget to post a pic with the knobby tires mounted up!   ;)

guitarider

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »

Sorry guys.... Finally got back from travelling and had a chance to install the Fat Shots on the Black Beauty.  Overall an easy experience with three major lessons.

First.... Anti Seize is your friend ..... The CFR's were a beech to remove.  It took my friend and I an hour just to get the damn things off.. Lots of WD 40, Liquid Wrench and a puddle on the garage floor.

Second...... The MoCo is right..... The torca clamps are a one time use..  Unscheduled trip to Buddy Stubbs- In the car, no less.  I bought 4 just in case......

Once armed with new Torca clamps..... Installation was easy, everything fit well together, fit and finish are excellent.  I installed 10disks and the closed end cap per side, fired her up and..................  Congratulations Mark, You are the proud owner of 2007 Screamin Eagle LAWN MOWER! The Fatshots came with 12 per side, I found more disks locally, thanks craigslist, now have 14 per side with closed end cap, and the sound is MUCH BETTER.  Quiet enough to tour, but deep sounding.. OVer all a good compromise.  Took it out for a ride last weekend, which leads to lesson 3:  Too much AntiSeize, leads to really smelly bike when the pipes heat up.  It took a awhile for the stuff to burn off or whatever..... 

Anyway, low end seems good, the bike feels a bit constrained at WOT.  Time for the tuner.  Anyway, overall was alot of fun doing it, If the better half doesnt start riding more with me, I am going to go with something louder......... 

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:46:29 PM »

I have been able to get several reliable applications out of TORCA clamps by using anti-sieze on the threads and not tightening over fully seated.

This is provided the clamps are not damaged already.

Food for thought YMMV......

hornhonker

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »

18 disks per side with closed endcap here. Now just waiting for the auto tune Power Vision option to tweek the changes.
90 Honda ST1100
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.