Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: IPOD Nano issue  (Read 3906 times)

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
Re: IPOD Nano issue
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »

Gentlemen, I have a question for those of you that are having the ipod power issue. Dependent upon when you're scooter was made will determine which generation iPod nano you have. So which one do y'all have? Mine, is the long slender nano video 8gb...some on here have been sent the 16gb of the same generation nano...however, most of the FLHXSE2s that were made later on have come with the touch screen nanos that are short and square. These type of nanos have a design flaw that is driving people nucking futs. The only reason I know this is because I bought one for my BSR for birthday last May and returnd it after one week. The problem with it is that it can't be turned off like all other iPods. It can only be put to sleep. Even in sleep mode it will continue to drain power until it dies. So this may be the problem that some of you are experiencing.

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

jcd520

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »

Gentlemen, I have a question for those of you that are having the ipod power issue. Dependent upon when you're scooter was made will determine which generation iPod nano you have. So which one do y'all have? Mine, is the long slender nano video 8gb...some on here have been sent the 16gb of the same generation nano...however, most of the FLHXSE2s that were made later on have come with the touch screen nanos that are short and square. These type of nanos have a design flaw that is driving people nucking futs. The only reason I know this is because I bought one for my BSR for birthday last May and returnd it after one week. The problem with it is that it can't be turned off like all other iPods. It can only be put to sleep. Even in sleep mode it will continue to drain power until it dies. So this may be the problem that some of you are experiencing.

My bike was made Oct. of 2010 and has the 8gb long skinny one with the B/S logo. I think it is safe to  say that most of us posting here about this problem have this one. I have read only a few posts with people saying they have the 16gb and none of them claim (I think ) that they are touch screen. I have never heard that. Could very well be though. jcd520

Doc
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:54:51 PM by jcd520 »

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 02:38:04 PM »

All bikes in the first production run received the nano video (long & skinny). All other production runs received the square touch screen nano. More about it on this string...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57584.0;all

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »

I just did a quick search to back up what I was saying and it appears we were both correct...lol...that generation of ipod nano had so many complaints that Apple released a software update which enabled the "Turn Off" function.

http://www.ipodrepublic.com/ipod-nano/turning-off-new-6th-generation-ipod-nano/2010/09/21/

So perhaps this is a fix for some of those having that issue...plug yer little square ones into iTunes and update the software...

Doc

jcd520

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

I just did a quick search to back up what I was saying and it appears we were both correct...lol...that generation of ipod nano had so many complaints that Apple released a software update which enabled the "Turn Off" function.

http://www.ipodrepublic.com/ipod-nano/turning-off-new-6th-generation-ipod-nano/2010/09/21/

So perhaps this is a fix for some of those having that issue...plug yer little square ones into iTunes and update the software...

Doc

Doc---- for the update are you talking about the touch screen 16gb or the original long skinny 8 gb ones with the B/S logo or both. Please just post here and thanks for looking that up. CD

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »

Doc---- for the update are you talking about the touch screen 16gb or the original long skinny 8 gb ones with the B/S logo or both. Please just post here and thanks for looking that up. CD
The update is for the new 6th gen nano's which apparently weren't completely powering down.

vettmann

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Black Diamond/Crimson
    • CVO2: 2012 Hot Citrus/Gunstock
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »

When you have no sound switch to am then scroll through and it will have sound when you get back to ipod. At least you don't have to get off and unplug.
Hey Jagerbomb thats exactly what I do works mostly all the time...

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »

I have the same problem (no sound). Found the connection sometimes works loose. Took it to the stealer, "nothing wrong" of course

jcd520

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 11:53:20 AM »

To begin with I want to be clear I am talking about the long skinny 8 gb ipods in this post because that is what I have.

I have been thinking on this since I got my bike. Here is how it happens. When I start the bike and nothing happens I toggle through the other choices as described in other posts. They all work , except the ipod. AM --FM--XM--CD , all of it works except the ipod. Sooooooooo -------there has to be a problem with the ipod itself not booting up or a problem with the HK radio not recognizing it or the ipod interface is not operating properly. But since the display is saying there is a song playing , and when you toggle up to the next song it changes on the display , but still no sound , then there is obviously a problem somewhere in the audio portion of the sound system. Either the ipod is not sending it or the interface module is not picking it up or sending it out properly, or the HK is not picking it up properly , or the audio portion of the ipod cables are compromised somewhere along the way between the ipod and the radio. My best guess is that the ipod interface module is the problem and it either doesn't get the sound from the ipod sometimes or doesn't send it out correctly sometimes to the radio. There is a lag time , and sometimes for a long time between when it works and when it doesn't so it does work it just sometimes has to think about it for a while before it has audio. Very strange. Hopefully whoever makes these interface modules is working on this problem for next year. In the meantime the rest of us just have to live with it I suppose. Somewhere on here there is someone who has figured this out and I hope you will post the fix or what was done to correct it. I really don't care that sometimes it goes back to the first song when you return to the bike. I can live with that but when it doesn't have audio and you have to screw with it for sometimes several minutes that is a problem I would like fixed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »

To begin with I want to be clear I am talking about the long skinny 8 gb ipods in this post because that is what I have.

I have been thinking on this since I got my bike. Here is how it happens. When I start the bike and nothing happens I toggle through the other choices as described in other posts. They all work , except the ipod. AM --FM--XM--CD , all of it works except the ipod. Sooooooooo -------there has to be a problem with the ipod itself not booting up or a problem with the HK radio not recognizing it or the ipod interface is not operating properly. But since the display is saying there is a song playing , and when you toggle up to the next song it changes on the display , but still no sound , then there is obviously a problem somewhere in the audio portion of the sound system. Either the ipod is not sending it or the interface module is not picking it up or sending it out properly, or the HK is not picking it up properly , or the audio portion of the ipod cables are compromised somewhere along the way between the ipod and the radio. My best guess is that the ipod interface module is the problem and it either doesn't get the sound from the ipod sometimes or doesn't send it out correctly sometimes to the radio. There is a lag time , and sometimes for a long time between when it works and when it doesn't so it does work it just sometimes has to think about it for a while before it has audio. Very strange. Hopefully whoever makes these interface modules is working on this problem for next year. In the meantime the rest of us just have to live with it I suppose. Somewhere on here there is someone who has figured this out and I hope you will post the fix or what was done to correct it. I really don't care that sometimes it goes back to the first song when you return to the bike. I can live with that but when it doesn't have audio and you have to screw with it for sometimes several minutes that is a problem I would like fixed.

I tend to agree with the logic you've used to point the finger at the interface, but the logic of just living with a defective device escapes me.  It isn't right, and under the terms of the warranty it should be fixed.  Yes, I understand that the typical Harley dealership is pretty much useless with stuff like this (it's normal, they all do it, etc.), but that doesn't mean you can't make your complaint directly to Milwaukee and bypass the local yokels.

Harley gets way too many free rides from those of us who just find workarounds to their crap, or just "learn to live with it".  What you've described is not normal, nor is it acceptable, either in the world of Harley or in the audio market at large.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcd520

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

I tend to agree with the logic you've used to point the finger at the interface, but the logic of just living with a defective device escapes me.  It isn't right, and under the terms of the warranty it should be fixed.  Yes, I understand that the typical Harley dealership is pretty much useless with stuff like this (it's normal, they all do it, etc.), but that doesn't mean you can't make your complaint directly to Milwaukee and bypass the local yokels.

Harley gets way too many free rides from those of us who just find workarounds to their crap, or just "learn to live with it".  What you've described is not normal, nor is it acceptable, either in the world of Harley or in the audio market at large.

JMHO  -  Jerry

You are absolutely right-----------I am just not sure that the going back to the first song part is not normal for ipods. I have had many mp3 devices and some do it and some don't . I guess it is the way they are programmed from the factory. I have told my service manager about the other problem ( no sound sometimes) and he assures me that they will let me know if a fix comes down the pipe from HD. I am just not going to take it in there and leave it and let them dig around on it and experiment with my bike til they have something solid. I hope that the factory is working on this along with the people who make the Ipod interface modules and come up with something--------but again , you are right . There are enough of us on here with the problem that it surely has been brought to the MOCO's attention. I do let them know regularly what I think by phone and by letter. --------One other example is the fact that they don't offer the premium bag liners for the extended bags like we FLHXSE owners have. I called and let them know that was pretty lame.

nuckelhead

• Full CVO Member
  • if it ain't broke... take it off and chrome it!!!!

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE / BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »

You are absolutely right-----------I am just not sure that the going back to the first song part is not normal for ipods. I have had many mp3 devices and some do it and some don't . I guess it is the way they are programmed from the factory. I have told my service manager about the other problem ( no sound sometimes) and he assures me that they will let me know if a fix comes down the pipe from HD. I am just not going to take it in there and leave it and let them dig around on it and experiment with my bike til they have something solid. I hope that the factory is working on this along with the people who make the Ipod interface modules and come up with something--------but again , you are right . There are enough of us on here with the problem that it surely has been brought to the MOCO's attention. I do let them know regularly what I think by phone and by letter. --------One other example is the fact that they don't offer the premium bag liners for the extended bags like we FLHXSE owners have. I called and let them know that was pretty lame.

not to split hairs because i like my bag liners, but my buddy just bought a 103 Ultra Limited and it came with leather bag liners and its not a CVO...
everything i own has been stolen and then replaced with exact replicas....

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »

I have the 8gig Ipod with the video. I always remove my Ipod from the bike when I get home so I can use it in the house too so I don't have playlist or shuffle problems since I most likely have changed to another artist before reattaching the Ipod to the bike anyway. The only problems I am having is shutting off the power. When I press and hold the pause toggle to turn the Ipod off it won't turn off every time. Sometimes I get a cancel drop down menu of some kind. Not sure why? Its an Ipod issue/problem not a Harley problem. Not sure if the Ipod is even covered by the Harley or ESP Warranty or if the fix must be from Apple? Anyone know about this problem and who to go to for warranty issues on the included Ipod?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 20 queries.