Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Author Topic: At what point do raising gas prices change your summer motorcycle trip plans?  (Read 12324 times)

ultracvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Rio / Black

It's gonna be expensive towing bikes 3000 miles for Sturgis trip in 7 mpg motorhome but I'm doing it anyway!   I'm with the other poster, CVO owners probably don't worry about gas cost too much.

:soapbox: :jack:

WTF over.........

Towing?  What's that?????  WHYYYYYYYY??????????   HAVE A BIKE??????????   Ditch the motorhome and ride........you wont regret it.... :drink:

Half_Crazy

The bike gets 3x the gas mileage my truck does...

I'm doing some bike trips this year and it's gonna cost what it costs. I'm far more attached to my sanity than I am to my money.

I know! To save money I'll leave the ol' lady at home!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle

Maybe there will be less cages & trucks to dodge this summer.  :D spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

Never, you buy a 30+ k scoot to ride....................................RIDE  :2vrolijk_21:

I couldn't agree more.....

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7

If you can't afford the fuel maybe its time to sell the toys. :-\ I can't wait until July to ride out to ID.  8)
Supershooter

The only difference between men and boys are the price of their TOYS....FILL 'em up and RIDE!!!!

napalm
napalm

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member

Not changing any of our motorcycling trip plans but we are cutting back drastically on the auto trips. There is no reason for the price of gas when price per barrel keeps droping... Between the banks and the gas company Obamha is doing nothing other then rolling out the red carpet.....I don't get it.  :nixweiss:

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black

I am lucky to live in an area that is year round riding. My five year old 2006 Ford F-150 has only 36K miles on it. I put about 15/20k a year on my touring bike and another 10K a year on my FatBoy. I plan on at least 2 maybe 3 cross country trips this year on the the bike. With the price of gas I just now stay at friends and family houses instead of hotels. Its nice to have friends all across the country.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue

The bike gets 3x the gas mileage my truck does...

I'm doing some bike trips this year and it's gonna cost what it costs. I'm far more attached to my sanity than I am to my money.

I know! To save money I'll leave the ol' lady at home!
:huepfenlol2: That might cost you half the estate. :huepfenlol2:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

Well two summers ago high gas prices never slowed my boating, about 30 gallon an outing and I live on the lake.  Gas bill for the boat in July of 08 was 750 for that month.

Nope, gas goes up bikes get used even more. 

My truck gets about 17 on Diesel
Wifes suv gets 19 on a good day.

Bikes do much better. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Half_Crazy

That might cost you half the estate

That would be the 3rd time too.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3

That would be the 3rd time too.

And you still haven't learned not to buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?!   :oops:

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike

It's gonna be expensive towing bikes 3000 miles for Sturgis trip in 7 mpg motorhome but I'm doing it anyway!   I'm with the other poster, CVO owners probably don't worry about gas cost too much.

TOW??????  No we will not be changing our biking vacation plans, unless gas gets extreeeeeeemly expensive. I cannot imagine it would ever get that high.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:49:32 PM by 2harleys »

hogasm

A rise in gas prices would not be as significant as drop in income. At present earnings gas prices will not affect the summer riding season.

Now my old bass boat might have been a different story. With a 50 gallon tank and 200hp motor $250 a day is a steep grade.

I hate to laugh at this.........but.......$250 an hour is what I burn.......damn now that I think about this.....I burn $250 an hour at just 20Knots :soapbox:

boat runs 60Knots @ WOT

We fish 20 days a month and each trip we burn 150-200 gallons
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:00:31 PM by hogasm »

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

If you ride 10,000 miles a year, and gas is goes up a dollar a gallon, and you get 35 MPG, (10000 / 35 = 285.7) * $1.00, it will cost $285.00 a year more for gas. I'm not parking mine for that. The Denali might be a different decision. But even at 14 MPG I'm not changing my lifestyle much.
It does p*** me off that it is the greedy money people that are driving the increase. No shortage of gas.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member

If you ride 10,000 miles a year, and gas is goes up a dollar a gallon, and you get 35 MPG, (10000 / 35 = 285.7) * $1.00, it will cost $285.00 a year more for gas. I'm not parking mine for that. The Denali might be a different decision. But even at 14 MPG I'm not changing my lifestyle much.
It does p*** me off that it is the greedy money people that are driving the increase. No shortage of gas.

Last year we put 23,000 miles just on our gas hog suv, not even considering our gas miser here. Using your formula made me realize the impact, whiich is close to $1,800/yr or $150/month increase in gas expenses, for just one vehicle....Ouch!!!!   Now I'm really pisssed  >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.