Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tri-Glide Steering Stabilizer?  (Read 2232 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Tri-Glide Steering Stabilizer?
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »

I know many moons ago Hoist was going to order all the steering head stabilizer parts from the then new Tri-Glide and install them on his SERK.

Has anyone done this yet on any of the touring models, '09 or later?  Or any year for that mater...

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Tri-Glide Steering Stabilizer?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »

I know many moons ago Hoist was going to order all the steering head stabilizer parts from the then new Tri-Glide and install them on his SERK.

Has anyone done this yet on any of the touring models, '09 or later?  Or any year for that mater...

Thanks.

OK, so no one has done the Tri-Glide parts.

Has anyone put on any type of a steering stabilizer, the hydraulic cylinder type?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »

OK, so no one has done the Tri-Glide parts.

Has anyone put on any type of a steering stabilizer, the hydraulic cylinder type?

Thanks.

Ahhh Dan, long story.
I had this one on the 07 Frontier.
Thunder Mountain came out with their own so I took this off.
At the same time hoist was looking for a dampner so I sent him this one.
It is a Hyper Performance Dampner brand.
I sent it to hoist so he could try it and if he wanted it he could buy it.
I see he used a non adjustable trike dampner instead.
I have tried contacting him and a few others have asked him to send it back, but no luck.
If he hasn't destroyed it like everything else then if you can get it we can work a deal.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »

What exactly would this stabilizer due for our bikes?  I'm not being a wise guy here I'm always interested in improving the ride. I have done the complete Traxxion set up I continually hound them for anything new for our machines.  Other than the company that markets the heavy duty triple tree I haven't heard of much that will improve out ride.  Good topic!

Hope answers are found

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »

What exactly would this stabilizer due for our bikes? I'm not being a wise guy here I'm always interested in improving the ride. I have done the complete Traxxion set up I continually hound them for anything new for our machines.  Other than the company that markets the heavy duty triple tree I haven't heard of much that will improve out ride.  Good topic!

Hope answers are found

Ray, I'm sure you've heard about the "Fall Away" test on the steering of our touring bikes.  This is the adjustment that the neck bearings provide.  But it does seem like these get "out" of adjustment quite regularly and need to be tweaked a bit now and then.

With the steering stabilizer, I believe it will give the bikes a wider operating window from front end wobble when the bearings start to loosen up again.  It will also take out some of the bump induced oscillations from road imperfections like pot holes or road tar snakes on a hot summer day.

In the old days when I rode old British bikes, they had friction stabilizers that you could tighten with a knob at the top of the steering neck to on the ride tune your steering stiffness.  Too tight though and the bikes tend to wander a bit from side to side and too loose they tend to wobble when you hit bumps.  The hydraulic type like mentioned above slows the reaction time down a bit for steering and gives you an overall smoother steering feel, or at least that's what I'm thinking it should do.

Hope that has helped answer your questions.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 24 queries.