Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amp tuning w/ HK Head unit  (Read 1000 times)

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
Amp tuning w/ HK Head unit
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »

Was wondering when you adjust the gain on an amp should you have the auto volume set to off or on during tuning?  Running HW 150 watt amp with stock radio.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:48:23 AM by Big C. »

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
Re: Amp tuning w/ HK Head unit
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »

I just want to thank HarleyPingMan for the PM's and let everyone know the answer to my question.  After talking with several knowledgeable sources Hawg Wired being one of them the consensus was it doesn't matter weather the AVC is on or off or set to any of the three on settings while tuning.  The end result will be the same audio quality but your max volume settings while riding with the would be diffrent.  But also I found out if you tune your system setting the volume with the HK radio at just under 3/4's  that it will give you your best possible audio quality at max volume.  Due to the fact that the HK head unit starts to clip which will muddy up your speakers during demanding playback.  So my end result was a lot lower gain setting than Hawg Wired recommended for a starting point and a slightly higher frequency responce setting than the Focal K2's performance specs. and thats were it just sounded its best.  Here's a list of my configuration.  Hush mat installed fully on the inner and outer fairing, J&M Acoustic foam, 6 1/2 in. Focal K2's, Hawg Wired 150 watt amp, and the factory HK head unit.

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
Re: Amp tuning w/ HK Head unit
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »

I just installed hogtunes 160 watt amp yesterday, their  instructions didnt say anything about radio settings, just set the gain switch at +3,  im wondering now,     i also installed dyna mat in the fairing,  , My AVC worked like it should, In fact it reacts quicker due to more amps.  Ill have to try that volume at 3/4 setting  I was wondering how amps sound with just the switch set to  2 channels instead of 4 channels, directing the amp power to the front speakers.      Should've tried that before i reinstalled the fairing cover

Page created in 1.976 seconds with 24 queries.