Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backrest/Sissy Bar - Anyone found a replacement  (Read 1659 times)

chywy

Backrest/Sissy Bar - Anyone found a replacement
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:54:12 PM »

The wife wants a taller backrest.  Checked with the local HD dealer and HD is not offering any replacement backrest in a middle to higher range.  Anyone swapped theirs out and found a good after market replacement?

Attaching a bag to the current rest is also "ifey".  I order a leather bag that was indicated for a 2010 FLSTSE and it fits fine, but there is alot of bag resting against the fender.
Any ideas there would be appreciated.

Thanks,

In the Wind of Wyoming
2010 FLSTESE2 CVO

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
Re: Backrest/Sissy Bar - Anyone found a replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

I added a luggage rack and I got the "Bucket" back rest from my dealer.  You can use your existing sissy bar and the new "Bucket" back rest is about 2" taller and has a much larger area.  You will need to purchase some hardware for the Bucket backrest but you can make it a quick change unit.  It does not look nearly as nice as the stocker but your wife will like the comfort.  With the luggage rack we can use the Saddlemen bag and have room for any extended trip.   

chywy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out.
CHYWY

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »

2Smoke, I also need to change the stock back rest for the wife. Have you got a part number of the bucket rest that you used and the additional hardware required? Have you got a picture so that I can show the wife what it will look like?

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »

2Smoke, I also need to change the stock back rest for the wife. Have you got a part number of the bucket rest that you used and the additional hardware required? Have you got a picture so that I can show the wife what it will look like?

The part number for the Smooth Bucket Backrest Pad is 51640-06.  The back rest comes with no hardware so I used 2 studs, some washers, and 2 chrome acorn nuts.  I got all the hardware from the local hardware store in my town.  It was like $6.  It looks really slick and I can swap it out quickly.  I'll be putting it back on next week for a ride we are doing.  I'll get a picture and post it.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »

Here are some pix of the smooth bucket backrest installed on the ConV.  Note the luggage rack.  Now I can put my Saddlemen bag on with no problems. 

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »

From the front:

chywy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »

Thanks for the pics 2smoke.  It doesn't look bad.
CHYWY

chywy

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »

Here are some pix of the smooth bucket backrest installed on the ConV.  Note the luggage rack.  Now I can put my Saddlemen bag on with no problems. 

Thanks for the tip - I went through three dealer who swore that backrest wouldn't fit on my bike.  Finally found a dealer with one in stock in Loveland CO and it fit perfectly.  The wife is much happier now.
Take care and thanks,
CHYWY

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »

There are many dealers that are morons.  On more than 1 occasion I had to "educate" some parts guy on what goes where and how.  The parts guy I deal with at my local dealer is very cool. He has even gone so far as helping me trial fit parts at the dealer and also letting me take parts home to try out before I buy them.  Such was the case for the back rest and the windshield on my ConV.  I am glad the back rest worked out for you. 

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 20 queries.